BASS Stub - A Lightweight BASS template

Started by Ghost, Thu 13/06/2013 11:09:45

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

The version included in the latest alpha needs to be updated, i.e. processClick.

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/09/2015 15:04:04
The version included in the latest alpha needs to be updated, i.e. processClick.

What exactly has changed that requires an update? I haven't used the alpha at all, yet (and don't intend to, since an alpha is a work in progress with things bound to change more). IS the alpha so popular and so widely in use?

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 27/09/2014 17:25:18
Global functions moved to Room class
GetRoomProperty ---> Room.GetProperty
ProcessClick -> Room.ProcessClick

I like to use the alpha because the developers need feedback and bug reports now, not when the official version is released. I don't know if it is popular, though.
Since the template is shipped with AGS, at least for the final release it has to be working with the engine/editor.

For now, it is not a big issue as I can quickly edit the few occurrences myself. I just wanted to give you a heads-up that this will be required in the future and is not overlooked.

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/09/2015 15:46:30
I like to use the alpha because the developers need feedback and bug reports now, not when the official version is released. I don't know if it is popular, though.
Since the template is shipped with AGS, at least for the final release it has to be working with the engine/editor.

Yes, those are both valid points, and the changes are important and easy to alter. Thanks- I'll update ASAP!

cat

But be aware, that older AGS versions will not work with those changes. I'm afraid that there will have to be two different versions of the module :-\

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/09/2015 16:07:50
But be aware, that older AGS versions will not work with those changes. I'm afraid that there will have to be two different versions of the module :-\
There is a solution, AGS supports "#ifver" command.
I suggest looking into Abstauber's 9-verb template to see how it can be done.

Examples:
Code: ags

// If your version of AGS is >=3.2, the new, object oriented audio system will be used.
#ifver 3.2
    #define USE_OBJECT_ORIENTED_AUDIO
#endif

Code: ags

#ifnver 3.4
    ProcessClick(x, y, Mouse.Mode);
#endif
#ifver 3.4
    Room.ProcessClick(x, y, Mouse.Mode);
#endif

Ghost

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 10/09/2015 16:21:01
There is a solution, AGS supports "#ifver" command.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Should be fun revisiting that ole babe of a template :)

Crimson Wizard

We have this template included with AGS distribution, but it does not compiled with 3.4.0.
Ghost, do you have plans on upgrading this template to 3.4.0?
If not, am I allowed to do so?

We have a repository for included template sources: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags-template-source
I could upload your template source there as well.

Ghost

Crimson, if you can easily update BASS, by all means do so, I would be much oblieged. I'm in some pretty hard times at the moment and have dropped out of the AGS loop almost completely. No idea if, when, and how I could continue.

AnalogGuy

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 13/06/2016 15:46:02
Crimson, if you can easily update BASS, by all means do so, I would be much oblieged. I'm in some pretty hard times at the moment and have dropped out of the AGS loop almost completely. No idea if, when, and how I could continue.

Sorry for this stupid offtopic. I want to contact Ghost but somehow he can't get the private messages or what?
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Kumpel

I implemented BASS successfully in 3.4.0.7 and 3.4.0.10. Afaik the only compatibility problem I encountered has been some lines with processclick which had to be changed to room.processclick. Or am I wrong there?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Kumpel on Sun 14/08/2016 00:11:38
I implemented BASS successfully in 3.4.0.7 and 3.4.0.10. Afaik the only compatibility problem I encountered has been some lines with processclick which had to be changed to room.processclick. Or am I wrong there?
With most recent 3.4.0 version you do not even need to do that, because there is "Script compatibility level" switch in general settings that enables all the old functions you may need.

Weilard

First of all, thank you for this template Ghost. Would be rude from my side asking to add some actions and events in demo-scene?

My offer is add some events in this template. To best understanding what exactly people can create with AGS and this template in one time. It's for a newbies, of course. Experinced coder and developer no need this. Would be nice to fill room (or rooms) by objects, opportunity to combine these objects, where characters can speak & etc. Not a game, of course, but the demo of two rooms, for example.

I can describe why I'm asking for this. Some people, unfortunately, have a different skills, but sometimes (very often) in list of this skills is not including skill of coding. I spent lot of years to learning how I can drawing normally, writing & etc, but this 17 years in game development industry isn't bring me understanding of code. In case where I see working examples of code I can repeat it, analizing and create something like. But in case I have only list of functions of engine/template, I cant understand how this work. I can offer the barter, for example. Somebody deed for this template additional code. Code of events, situations and etc, I'm cooking well smelling graphics.

AGS site have after this nice example of "game" (more nice than we have now), I have code, which I can understand and can repeat in myself game. Sorry in case if I write wrong words in wrong place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk