My 24 Hour Comic Challenge: I DID IT (Comic Inside)

Started by Ghost, Thu 20/06/2013 11:27:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

There is a popular dare called the 24 Hour Comic Challenge. And I am going to do it.

The thing started in 1990 when Scott McCloud challenged a friend to create a "full comic within a day". Visit http://scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/24hr/index.html to read the full story (together with the first official 24 hour-comic, and the official rules). The 24HCC has since then become a popular event; there are even official 24HCC days where large groups all art the hell out of themselves. But technically everyone can do it anytime.

The dare is extremely simple:

* Create a complete, 24 page comic book- in 24 continuous hours.
* NO sketches, plot summaries or any other kind of direct preparation can precede the 24 hour period; Indirect preparation (assembling tools, reference materials, food) is fine.
* Story, finished art, lettering, color (if applicable), paste-up, EVERYTHING must be done within the 24 hours. Once pen hits paper, the clock starts ticking.
* The 24 hours are CONTINUOUS. You can take a nap, but the clock keeps ticking.
* Pages can be any size, any material. Computer-generated comics are fine too, the same rules apply.

I've wanted to try my hands on that dare for quite a while now, mostly for the fun of it but also because it sounds like some hilarious rite-of-passage stuff. I know that I am usually best when under a cruel deadline, so yeah, I'm doing it. I'll go for the traditional approach, too- I am still NOT very comfortable with my tablet and using it will result in a lot of lost time. So it's going to be lines on paper, with words.

I thought it would be fun to put a small thread up here, again mostly for the fun of it but also because this feels pretty close to the hourgames and MAGS competitions we do: The hobby under exreme conditions, as you might say. And hell, maybe someone's reading this and wants to join, that'd be pretty awesome.

I'll be busy stocking up on paper and stuff today, and I'll try and get a good rest, but either tonight or Friday morning I'll start my 24HCC. I don't know at what exact time but I'll mark it here, and then I'll post a small heads-up each hour, hopefully with photos or a small scan every now and then. That can't take THAT much time.

NOTE: Since I'm in Germany my timing will be awfully OFF for some of you, resulting (if I make it) in a comic that is finished IN YOUR FUTURE. Consider this an additional level of awesome.

__
I made it, and the comic can be downloaded here in fully zipped PNG glory, because I have no idea how to pronounce GIF:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q46nrhv0aiuuv0m/SliceOfAfterlife_24HourComic.zip

Stupot

You're mental, but good luck anyway :D

miguel

I'd do it but my amphetamine dealer is out of town. Good luck with that!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Eric

Good luck with this! I was just thinking of the challenge because yesterday, a sequel was released to probably the best thing to come out of 24-Hour Comic Day -- Far Arden (the sequel is called Crater XV).

I've always wanted to do this myself, but the timing of the official day never works for me. Maybe I'll give it a try later in the fall, if you can prove to be an inspiration?

Ghost

Luck I'll need  (nod) Thanks guys!

THURSDAY 18.00 pm
==================================================

I have everything I may want in the next hours. Lots of DIN A3 sketch pads, cheap printer paper, a notepad and a box of ink pens, pencils, copy pencils, erasers and whatever else could be useful in a pinch. I've set up a playlist, I have sandwiches and candy, water, juice and soda, and a list of menus from pretty much every food joint in my vicinity. The moment I phone them they will bring me food and that is a nice thought. And I have time- no urgent business tomorrow, so I can really focus on the task at hand.
Which is to create a comic. In one day. I just realized how long it has been since I made an attept to draw more than three pages of consistent plot. But no worries. This can either fail or work out, at least I'll have tried.
Just 18.00 pm. Pencil hits paper.

NOW.

Jaffles

This is really cool! I'll have to try this sometime!

Though I'm more of a comic strip artist than a comic book artist  :-D

Good luck! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Ghost

THURSDAY 19.00
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/1Iuo8CH.png[/imgzoom]
Pages: 1
Panels: 1
Current Song: Kissing Willy by Jethro Tull

Er. Now this is interesting- I already got a full panel and I would even call it a rather good establishing shot. But sketch pads really need a paint bucket tool.
No idea where this will lead. I am totally shooting in the dark here, working from panel to panel, which means that by now I need some idea for the next panel.
Ah, we shall see.
No photo this time. Sh*tty SD card apparently want to annoy me. Will scan the page when it is done, though.

Stupot

Nice start :)
Are you Tweeting this?

voh

I'm looking at the drawer containing my six 24h comics. I'm hoping to do it again this year as well :)

I salute you, and your inevitable pain/frustration!
Still here.

Ghost

Stupot: Sorry, no tweet. I don't tweet.
voh: Are we talking real pain here? Like cramps? I hate cramps!

THURSDAY 20.00
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/NryPwmZ.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/CWssHlg.png[/imgzoom]
Pages: 2
Panels: 6
Current Song: Hard Luck Woman (KISS)

Things are shaping up. It's like watching a little puppy dog being born!

My internet is absolutely shit by the way so I won't upload a pic each time. This one crashed three times and I don't want to bore you with me cursing my net. This is about fun.  (nod)

selmiak

this is looking interesting. Good luck! :D

Ghost

Thanks, selmiak!

THURSDAY 21.00
Pages: 3
Panels: 11
Current Song: Red Hot  (Vanessa Mae)

Getting into swing, but I have no idea how people manage to stick to their timer. Something like a story is still not shaping up and I am still running blind. Interestingly enough I am running blind using a style shift; there's just no time to carefully plan, imagine, lay out and ink a page in 60 minutes. I feel the MAGS EFFECT: Little time == make the most of it.
Also made soup with Maultaschen, wich is a convenient meal for the first munchies of the night.

Ponch

Looks very cool so far, but your art table setup makes my back hurt just looking at it. How do you plan to sit bent over like that for 24 hours? :shocked:

Ghost

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 20/06/2013 20:16:43
Looks very cool so far, but your art table setup makes my back hurt just looking at it. How do you plan to sit bent over like that for 24 hours? :shocked:

A soft pillow, a drawing board, patience, and total disregard for my spine, sir. Only the BEST for this event.

THURSDAY 21.00
Pages: 4
Panels: 14
Current Song: Faces In The Darkness (edguy)

A story is developing and our little ghost mysteriously has a thirteenth hour this night. They must be rare. And pretty awesome because I still have twenty frikkin' pages to show what happens in it!  (nod)

Tabata

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 20/06/2013 20:31:00
A soft pillow, a drawing board, patience, and total disregard for my spine, sir. Only the BEST for this event.
not to forget the hundereds of sweet pillows to be seen in that box on your desk   

I am just missing the mega cup of coffee  :wink:

aside of that â€" A very good start! (nod)

… and now turn on the ghostly turbo-boost and gooooooooo for it!   :grin:

Ghost

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 20/06/2013 21:41:53
I am just missing the mega cup of coffee  :wink:

Coffee? Oh, I got coffee. You *may* recognise the cup  (laugh)
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/T0CSVBH.png[/imgzoom]

Almost midnight I am falling a bit behind. Page 5 has my stumped. So far I was able to work from panel to panel, making each page a small experiment. For page 5 I want to do a lot of different expressions and I think now I understand what voh meant when he mentonied pain.
Boo! Ghost can not teh draw cool expressions!
Time for a short break anyway, will get some pizza. Soup is fine but I need circular food now.
CU!

Anian

Since I started work, I can hardly keep my eyes open, maybe if this was during the weekend...but middle of the week is madness.
Good luck, couple more hours (I'm guessing 3-4 am) and you'll go numb a get into the groove, those hours before the dawn are always weird and almost outer-body.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

bicilotti

I am soooo following this!
And I demand the final item to be auctionable!
Way to go, Ghost!

edit: someone please move this to gen gen!

Ghost

FRIDAY 01.15
Pages: 5
Panels: 24
Current Song: I Don't Wanna Be The One (The Ting Tings)

Page 5 finally in the bag, with a whopping 12 relatively diverse panels (and 3 bad jokes). It's getting somewhere and I feel the flow getting better- there is now defenitely a plot about a ghost wanting to visit a funfair and that has some nice possibilities.
I feel the style shifting again and again- the establishing shot was heavily shaded but I've opted for a simpler and more cartoonish style for the ghost herself. Let's call it masking effect and leave it at that; the background still is pretty detailled so I think it looks sort of alright.
The pizza was nice but I regret eating it. Full tummy wants to sleep.
Cracked open the first Big Gulp (tm) can of soda and took a small break for writing this. Also had to tell the cats how impolite it is to sleep on dare-comic-pages.

If this all sounds boring, I hope to get a few photos up for the next post.  (nod)

[edit]
Ah what the hell.
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/VtsLcSl.png[/imgzoom]

bicilotti

Dump the carbs, roast the cats (proteins won't make you sleepy!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk