RON: The Phantom Inheritance

Started by Argentinian, Mon 17/03/2003 03:34:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Argentinian

Well, this is my first game. It's pretty short. I hope you like it  :)

Download page:
here

Spanish translation available.

EDIT: German version available. Thanks to LucasFan.
Download it from this link:
http://ron.the-underdogs.org/games/PhantomG.exe

Download my first game:

Las Naranjas

I'd like to say to everyone that this is probably my favourite proper RON game thus far, and I was particularily impressed with the use of sound, making the file size worth it.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

scotch

Las told me I have to play to make up for the Falklands war :(

It better be good, like those really fine sheep islands.  Downloading :)

Edit:  Well I would be it the download worked :(

Pet Terry

Looking good, very good!

I'll download it when I get home :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Relight

AGA

Argentinian - I'm sorry I never gave you any beta testing reports, but I never actually managed to the the file to download...

Pet Terry

Err... it seems that I can't download it with Download Accelerator and I don't want to start download it without it, because my dial-up connection... maybe someone could make a mirror?
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Dave Gilbert

Great game!  You can see my comments on the RON board.

I'll be putting this up on the RON site soon.

Relight

GetRight is better than DA.... ::)

LucasFan

A very sweet game. Well done, Argentinian!

Dave Gilbert

It's up on the site, everyone!  :-)

Argentinian

Thanks for your comments, guys.  :D

AGA: No problem, man :). I had many problems with the hosting. I had to upload the game several times and I still have some problems.

LucasFan: I'm glad to see you like it. I'm thinking on a german translation....  ;).

Dave: thanks for your comment, Dave. And thank you for uploading the game to the RON site. My link doesn't work properly.

Las Naranjas: thank you for your help and support.

Download my first game:

Relight

1) Install progs, blargh.  Minus 300k later, I have a conveniant zip.  Sorry, I'm very opinionated about this, I rezip anyone's game who makes it a self-extracting EXE.

2) The first thing that happened (after the THX screen) was I got an illegal exception error.  I'll post it for CJ in the tech forum.

Argentinian

1) You're right, Relight. But I wanted a good looking game with its own installation program. Sorry for its size.

2) That's strange. It works for me. Maybe Chris can help us.
Download my first game:

Relight

Nope, the size isn't a big deal.  It's the arrogance of installation progs that stick stuff places without asking, such as program groups.  I just also felt like noting the file size diff.

By the way I figured out the problem and solved it (in the tech forum), but I guess it's still a bug for CJ to fix.

- the letter screen went by before i read it all.
- there is a high-pitched whine in the music sometimes, on all screens, ruins your otherwhise lovely music (sb live value soundcard), happens each time i alt-tab between the game and win 98 se (i added this to tech forum post as well).
- the "door bell" hotspot status thingy stayed, and as a result i couldn't read some of the dialogue between nephew and ghost.
- very nice town square graphics.
- very annoying that each time you use inv item on inv item, it quits the inv.
- great "i lost something" puzzle!
- nice map, that nephew actually walks around on it.
- you could make walk south leave the town square as well, in fact you could make the nephew come into town in the middle, after all that's what your map shows!
- but it doesn't take too long to walk so that OK.  it's great that the player character moves at a good speed, too many games have slow-ass player characters.
- nice animations for everything, particularly the soil puzzle, opening town square doors, and getting rid of 1st ghost.
- great root beer puzzle!
- all puzzles very logical and well hinted (but not too obvious).
- nice, consistant inv. graphics.  great root beer, funny cat.
- the end ending was funny and good, but the "first ending" was a bit of a let-down for the player perhaps.
- thanks to God?  that's all well and good, but not sure about including it there, and without giving any meaning (someone may take it seriously, someone may take it a joke, someone may be offended, etc).

COMMENTS WITH POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Spoiler

- lack of message when you take cig from ash tray, if you don't look at the ash tray and just hand, you'll never know what happened (which is what i did).  as opposed to city hall desk, where you see each thing you take, so there is no message.
- cool firecracker usage.
- great puzzle sequence that combines 2 puzzles for a single result (crumbs->ticket->wrench).
- definitely some amazing stuff you did, would be good examples or types for that puzzle guide scarpia's working on:

1) use scene-obj as place to put down other object.
2) put down object, leave room, come back, see results.
3) multiple object use that actually makes sense (syringe).
4) great example of inv on scene-obj to get new obj (dog-spittle).
[close]

Silly LN, I wrote the post to be as non-spoilerish as possible.  But if you insist, I edited it to only hide ones that were actually potential spoilers.

Quickstrike

Just finished it!  That was great!  
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

Dave Gilbert

Personally, I don't like install screens on AGS games either.  But that's only because I know how AGS works and I just want to get right to the game.  For those who don't use AGS, it's nice to have an install screen.  I'd make one for my games if I knew how.  :)  (although it's probably very easy, from what I hear).  

Pet Terry

I finished it and I have to say it's awesome! This game shows good example how we should use animationa, sound and music in our games :)

One little thing though... I think that Reality On The Norm- theme music is better in midi... that one sounds like it's being converted to mp3 from midi in Modplug tracker or something... ???
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Argentinian

Relight: Great feedback!! I have took note of every point and I have made some modifications. But I haven't upload the new version yet.

- about the music issue: yes, your're right. I have the same problem but I can't solve it. :(

- about the "Thanks to God" issue. Well, when I finished the game I said to myself "Uf! Thanks to God!" and I put that sentence at the end of the game. That was the meaning of including it in my game. In this context, the sentence means "Finally!! I did it!!".

- I have corrected: the letter screen, the "door bell" hotspot, the lack of message when the player takes the cigarette.

I will upload the new version soon, with those modifications and a german version made by LucasFan.

Download my first game:

Monkeyman1138

how do you get the dog spittle?I have the syringe,empty bottle,abba record and some other things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk