MAGS July: "Independence" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Mon 01/07/2013 12:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Independence'

This month's guidelines were set by Jaffles:

As you probably know, the 4th of July is a very important holiday for citizens of the United States. The day we declared our independence! So, for this month's MAGS Competition, you must create a game in which a character or group attains their independence/freedom from someone/thing/group that is oppressing them. It could be physical independence, for example: a group of bullied kids stands up to their aggressor. Or it could be mental independence, for example: an alcoholic struggles to free himself from his addiction.

Ending 31st July

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This month's winner was Draconis by Radiant, Fizzii, and Diamond16.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

ZapZap

To anyone that reads this thread: I was thinking about trying to make a game with someone sharing the work of story/puzzle design, and scripting; apart from that I'd do art/animation and I ask this other person to do the music/sounds. I don't know if I've explained myself well. Anyone interested?
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Tenacious Stu

I'm definitely in for this! This will be my first MAGS and I'm really looking forward to participating and seeing what people can produce (although at the moment it seems like everyone is focusing on OROW). I wanted to keep people updated, so right now I'm at the stage where I've got a few ideas and wondering which ones to progress. I have my favourites, but I want to know what you guys think?

IDEA A

In a dystopian future, a small community of disfunctional robots in a walled off abandoned scrap yard are controlled by a rogue dictator AI. A security-bot is tasked to remove viruses from "The System" under orders from the AI, but one day he uncovers a secret that makes him question the leadership of the AI and wish for freedom beyond the walls of the scrap yard. You play as the Security-Bot, performing tasks for the AI within the small robotic community, making friends and solving puzzles along the way.

IDEA B

You play as a garden snail that is trapped on a small island (well, it's not really an island, more of a mound surrounded by a puddle). After contemplating his existence and the world beyond the island, the snail sets off to try and make his escape and explore the world.

IDEA C

Wishes aren't as popular these days, at least for the Genies it's not. Just about everything warrants a wish these days, from blowing out candles to snapping a wishbone. Now the Genies are hard pressed to find wishes to grant and that's way they are shutting up shop! You play as a Genie who doesn't have the greatest track record for granting wishes and is on a thin line between being given another assignment or his freedom. He's been told that if he can grant three wishes by the end of the day, he will earn his freedom. Also, magic isn't as powerful as it used to be, so you will have to rely on what you can find around you. Will you be up to the challenge?

IDEA D

The job of a Ghost is to haunt certain areas within the world that house portals to the Afterealm, to keep humans away from them. They are told to do this by pushy demons, who don't want pesky humans stumbling around the Afterealm. You play as a Ghost who doesn't really enjoy scaring people and after he meets up with a small boy who misses his mommy that passed away, you start to question why humans and their lost relatives can't interact with each other. Can you overthrow the demons and allow our world and the Afterealm to coexist?

So which one do you most want to play? If you're interested in how I came to think of these ideas: I basically thought "I hate doing walking animations, so I want a player character that has no legs". So I came up with the robot (which would have Wall-E style treads), a snail, a genie and a ghost (the genie and the ghost are similar I guess). But I would love to hear your thoughts and from anyone else who is thinking of participating? Perhaps I'll pull a Double Fine and let the community choose which one I take forward, the most votes wins!

cat

I'd love to play number 3, this sounds most fun gameplay-wise. Maybe he even has to push people to make wishes?

Jaffles

Cool, glad to see some people are interested!

@Stu, I agree with Cat, that genie idea could have some neat potential! I also like idea A as well.

kaput

I'm in! I got the competition bug. Should be fun :)

Tenacious Stu

Awesome! I'm glad that people are interested and that there isn't just me taking part.

@Sunny Penguin
Which idea did you like the most?

Anyone else want to weigh in? Looks like the Genie idea has raised a few eyebrows (wtf)

kaput

Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Wed 03/07/2013 23:19:45
@Sunny Penguin
Which idea did you like the most?

Hrmmmm... I like IDEA B!

It'll be my first MAGS, too!

Good luck :)

Ghost

Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Wed 03/07/2013 23:19:45
Anyone else want to weigh in? Looks like the Genie idea has raised a few eyebrows (wtf)

I am partial to D. All your concepts have a certain something though, but D totally hits my switches. Might be the ghost character. B is also a very cool idea and I could see it as a great little game.

A) sounds a bit too serious and would probably be a nicer concept for a small-to-medium-length game. And with all your other concepts depressed robots almost sound mundane.

B) is an awesome idea just for playing as a snail in an area that must seem huge to a small animal. Also a very small plot and thus a good MAGS concept. And I don't know, I feel a story there, "getting out of the house" when you are a snail would allow for some touching comments.

C) is ridiculous and has a nice twist. And with a Genie as the main character you have many, many opportunities for cool puzzles- when you are magic the sky is the limit.
Could well go really over the top.

D) is a bit similar to C but from a different angle (supernatural beings acting against the rules of plot). And I like ghost stories and could probably throw a script at you from your small summary alone. Maybe it's just the character; a Genie is a magical creature. A ghost could have similar powers but adds some impact because at some point he was human, so it's easier to relate to a ghost. Yeah, this one wins. It totally gets my vote!

Tenacious Stu

Okay, comments Round Up:

IDEA A: Play as a Robot
- I also like idea A as well.
- too serious and a little depressing. May work as a larger game.

IDEA B: Play as a Snail
- Hrmmmm... I like IDEA B!
- Awesome Idea for a small game

IDEA C: Play as a Genie
- I'd love to play number 3, this sounds most fun gameplay-wise.
- that genie idea could have some neat potential
- ridiculous over the top. Some opportunities for some good puzzles

IDEA D: Play as a Ghost
- Yeah, this one wins. It totally gets my vote!

Hmm, Ghost liking the idea of playing as a ghost, who'd of thought?  ;) but after reading the comments and listening to my family/friends I think I'm going to go ahead and make the most popular game:
IDEA C
Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Wed 03/07/2013 21:51:14
Wishes aren't as popular these days, at least for the Genies it's not. Just about everything warrants a wish these days, from blowing out candles to snapping a wishbone. Now the Genies are hard pressed to find wishes to grant and that's way they are shutting up shop! You play as a Genie who doesn't have the greatest track record for granting wishes and is on a thin line between being given another assignment or his freedom. He's been told that if he can grant three wishes by the end of the day, he will earn his freedom. Also, magic isn't as powerful as it used to be, so you will have to rely on what you can find around you. Will you be up to the challenge?

So I'm going to be making some headway on this tonight. I've got a lot of ideas floating around my head, so I need to get them on paper and get a full game designed (or at least the puzzles, locations, etc).

If you were playing a game as a genie, what would you like to see?

I'm thinking of cooking up some original music for the game, but seeing as I have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever (apart from playing simple tunes with my hand under my armpit!) I am looking for someone who wants to get involved! You already know the game outline, so if you feel as though you can contribute some music in a month, I would love to hear from you! Contact me using PMs or just join in the discussion here! Please point me in the direction of some samples/games you've worked on before.

Also, don't forget to follow me on Twitter as I will be piping up with some game development insights and asking for your help! I've already had Steve Ince (Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky) offering some suggestions, so follow me and get involved!

Tabata

Yes, yes - please "C"!   :cheesy:

A ,,genie in a bottle" is cute and full of possibilities for adventures (nod)

Do you remember her?  http://youtu.be/Hsm8qE0sSn0
Spoiler
[close]

Tenacious Stu

@Tabata

You know, I've never seen that show... although I have seen it referenced in all kinds of other TV shows. Well, I've spent the majority of the evening working on the game. It is now in a playable state (you can navigate between rooms, pick up objects and walk around), although every object is a blue cup and every character is Roger. the game can't be completed from start to finish yet, but most of the puzzles are in there in a basic form. Tomorrow I hope to be able to play from start to finish and to create some proper artwork for BGs (not just placeholder).

Tenacious Stu

Okay, so a little update. The game can now be played from start to finish, but it is still very rough. The main puzzles you need to complete the game are in there in their most basic form. I have also done a draft of a character sprite:
[imgzoom]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/Tenaciousstu/MAGSJULY13/Genie-FirstDraft.png[/imgzoom]
Which I have asked for comments on in the Critiques Lounge, so if you can offer any help/advice please do!

Tonight I will be mainly working on Background Art for the game, as at the moment it currently looks like this:
Spoiler
[close]
So fingers crossed I can get all of the rooms painted tonight.

After working on the Art, the game looks a bit like this:

Radiant

Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Wed 03/07/2013 21:51:14
IDEA B

You play as a garden snail that is trapped on a small island (well, it's not really an island, more of a mound surrounded by a puddle). After contemplating his existence and the world beyond the island, the snail sets off to try and make his escape and explore the world.
Snail Quest desperately needs a sequel!

DBoyWheeler

Hmm... I may be out of this contest, but I may have to consider being in a future MAGS.  Just as RotN does for other users, this might give me a chance to gain experience with AGS.

So, I'll keep watching the Competitions & Activities forum for future MAGS themes and see what themes I might attempt in the future.  After all, as Ponch told me: "Fortune favors the bold."

Again, I may not take part in this particular one, but I may participate in a future MAGS.

Tenacious Stu

My MAGS game has taken a little turn and it now doesn't conform to any of the ideas above. The reason for this is that I started to design the Genie game and I got carried away with the idea and I was really happy with the design and I even put all of the puzzles in there in a basic form, but then I sat down to do the artwork. I should know by now that I cannot produce quick artwork. I need to spend a lot of time on BG art and am very meticulous about it. I quickly realized that the game was starting to snowball and I did not see myself having enough time to finish it for MAGS. Now my game has changed and instead of a genie, it has a female heroine:
[imgzoom]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/Tenaciousstu/MAGSJULY13/Girl.png[/imgzoom]
I'm looking for advice on this in the C & C forum.

The best advice I probably received about taking part in MAGS was from Ben304, who said to make a game that you believe you can finish in 3 days, then spend the month tweaking it. I probably should have listened to someone who has made more games than I can count.  :P I now believe that the game as it as at the moment will be ready for the month end and I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.

@DBoyWheeler

Do it! The best way to learn about making games is to make some. And I feel as though working to a solid deadline gives you a lot of motivation, but bear in mind the lesson I have learned here and keep it simple ;)

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Tenacious Stu on Wed 10/07/2013 01:11:03
@DBoyWheeler

Do it! The best way to learn about making games is to make some. And I feel as though working to a solid deadline gives you a lot of motivation, but bear in mind the lesson I have learned here and keep it simple ;)

Yeah, I'll try to keep it simple... and easy somewhat.  My philosophy in game making (be it platformer, RPG, adventure, or whatever) is "don't make it harder than it has to be".  So if/when I start an AGS game, I will try to make it so it'd be easy for the player to understand; cryptic puzzles and what-not can wait till I get more experience in this.

kaput

@Tenacious Stu - good to see you're making progress, even if you've chosen to start a fresh new idea. Looking forward to see what you go with.

I may have to drop out this month as it's going to be a crazy busy one for me. But I'll certainly try and get something done. I've got a few ideas rolling around...

@DBoyWheeler - go for it.

Jaffles

2.5 Weeks left! Sunny, Stu, Cleanic, anything to report?

kaput

Not sure... As predicted this month has been and will continue to be busy for me, but I'll see what I can do. If not then probably next month.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk