What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 31/10/2019 20:21:13

I didn't record many tapes but I burnt a lot of CDs:

Ah crap this one also unavailable here! I love this song too though. Makes me reminisce of my extremely awkward first year at uni.  (laugh)

Snarky

I thought I was going senile, because I could have sworn I was swapping cassette tapes with "Bohemian Like You" with friends in high school, but it only came out while I was at university. However, mystery solved — I was thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APrpB-i4d_E

LF, I think it's pretty normal for music tastes to "get stuck" at a certain point and not accommodate newer stuff. I know I don't listen to contemporary pop radio if I can help it. (Though I don't mind Billie Eilish, so it's not an absolute bar.) And that's probably OK — after all, teens presumably want some stuff for themselves — though it's a bit of a shame to lose out on good newer stuff, so it might be worth making a bit of an effort to keep up. Besides, there's a "test of time" filtering effect, too. You might be happy going back to selected tunes/bands from the 60s-80s, but would you really want to listen to an unfiltered list of what was playing on the radio back then?

Edit: If the mental block is "respect", maybe it will help to look up some biographical details about particular artists? I find that in many cases it makes me admire the talent and hard work that's gone into achieving their success.

milkanannan

I listen to a lot of nursery rhymes and kids songs with my son (and we rock out to them on our guitar sometimes). Personal fav is this snappy crooner and his little interludes between sections of the song. "Let's try a long O sound..." (cue cheddar smile)  (laugh)

Sort of a similar vein is Peppyrock's remix of Sesame Street's theme:

Blondbraid

What with it being the time of Halloween and all, I thought I'd share a great spooky classic:

I just find this piece so inspiring, and ever since I first heard it I've thought of
one day creating a game with a gameplay segment synchronized to this music.

I don't know exactly what it'd be, but the Danse Macabre just has such a fantastic flow to it.

eri0o

milkanannan

^Every Carrefour around the planet on November 1.  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Isn't that the music from the Home Alone movies?

TheFrighter

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sun 27/10/2019 18:14:10

Halloween is coming... this is one of my favourite creepy tunes:

But I don't exactly understand what this song talk about... the keeper saw ghosts? Or dead bodies from the sea? Or it is all a psicological thing?  ???

_

Uh, anyone could answer?

_

LimpingFish

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 02/11/2019 14:32:25
Uh, anyone could answer?

It's both, really. It's about people being lost at sea, and the psychological effect it has on the titular lighthouse keeper. The album Pawn Hearts, of which APoLK is the last track, deals with similar themes (for instance, the first track, Lemmings - mistakenly believed to be creatures driven to mass suicide - , is referenced in APoLK, tying the whole album together), and if you look at Peter Hammill's lyrics as a whole, you'll see recurring themes of death, loss, and separation running throughout.

For a real mind-f*ck, I recommend the VDGG album Godbluff, which is possibly the darkest example of Prog Rock in existence!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

TheFrighter

Thank you, LimpingFish!

Well, let's change mood:

_

milkanannan

Cool track - anything with accordion always wins my heart. ;) If you listen with headphones, there's a cool instrument (or combination of instruments) that sounds like a stand up bass and one of those First Nations drums.

Relax/study track in the same vein:

milkanannan

No idea what's sung at 1:03 but sounds good  :=

milkanannan

Quote from: Jack on Sun 03/11/2019 22:57:00

+1 this is great. Are you a Kerouac fan, Jack?

Canadians will remember this TV opening by the same name  (laugh)

Jack

Quote from: man n fist on Thu 07/11/2019 12:37:05
+1 this is great. Are you a Kerouac fan, Jack?

Canadians will remember this TV opening by the same name  (laugh)

I know of him, but haven't read his books.

I thought you were going to post The Littlest Hobo.

dactylopus

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 25/10/2019 13:15:36
In the same vein:

(This video always cracks me up. What were they thinking? Eye patches, flags and finger wagging?! (laugh) Ah well, no cringe video can destroy the awesomeness of this song!)

Had to post this in response.  Perfect remake.

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 25/10/2019 14:15:13
I will always always love Annie Lennox. Greatest thing to ever come out of Scotland.

Annie Lennox is great (and so are the Jesus and Mary Chain), but I would say Mogwai is the best music out of Scotland:

Laura Hunt

Rainy morning here...

You're losing the calling that you've been faking

And if you are in love, then you are the lucky one
Cause most of us are bitter over someone

Every now and then
I think about when you'll die, babe.

milkanannan

Thanks dudes! Some very nice balcony/sunset tracks for this weekend.  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk