Author Topic: What song are you listening to right now?  (Read 10925 times)

Jack

• Think deviant
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
    • Jack worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: What song are you listening to right now?
« Reply #220 on: 13 Nov 2019, 00:30 »

Edit: It's really jamming tonight.

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2019, 01:08 by Jack »

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #221 on: 14 Nov 2019, 20:58 »

« Reply #222 on: 15 Nov 2019, 01:43 »

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #223 on: 16 Nov 2019, 01:06 »

« Reply #224 on: 16 Nov 2019, 02:43 »
Yeah, good call on not posting the goofy Chevy Chase video. Distracts from an actually really good song! (laugh)

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #225 on: 21 Nov 2019, 08:04 »
I've been rereading the Discworld series. Guess which book I'm up to…

Spoiler: ShowHide
Wrong; it's actually Hogfather. But I've been checking out different versions of the Phantom since Maskerade.

« Reply #226 on: 21 Nov 2019, 13:20 »
Nice change of pace, Snarky.

Sorry, I know we've already had our TOOL moment, but if I'm to be true to the 'what song are you listening to right now' topic:

« Reply #227 on: 23 Nov 2019, 11:18 »

If anyone cares to share, how do you interpret the lyrics in this song?

« Reply #228 on: 23 Nov 2019, 12:47 »

My impressions it's about pedophilia (a boy baited with the money by an older man), still I don't get the meaning of the red hand. Maybe a mark as The scarlet letter by N. Hawthorne?
_

« Reply #229 on: 23 Nov 2019, 13:05 »

My impressions it's about pedophilia (a boy baited with the money by an older man), still I don't get the meaning of the red hand. Maybe a mark as The scarlet letter by N. Hawthorne?
_

That has always been my interpretation since I first heard it: a song with reference to sexual assault. However, I see that most people online interpret the red hand to be God's wrath or something a bit more specific to Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Ulster

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Private Insultant
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2018, for his numerous additions to the AGS open source ecosystem including the new Awards Ceremony client and modules
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Snarky worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #230 on: 23 Nov 2019, 15:28 »
I heard that (again) recently when I watched Scream and Scream 2 for Halloween, and I remember thinking that it was probably about God. ("You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.") And apparently it's an allusion to Paradise Lost.

Listening again, it seems to me like it's about "The Man," a catch-all for authority structures that have the power to upend your life: the military, drug syndicates, Hollywood…

« Reply #231 on: 23 Nov 2019, 18:07 »
I heard that (again) recently when I watched Scream and Scream 2 for Halloween, and I remember thinking that it was probably about God. ("You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.") And apparently it's an allusion to Paradise Lost.

Listening again, it seems to me like it's about "The Man," a catch-all for authority structures that have the power to upend your life: the military, drug syndicates, Hollywood…

Yeah, I agree. I guess that's it. I mean, even the sexual predator fits into the interpretation of overwhelming power that can change a life forever. I guess it is a song about the phenomena of overwhelming power in all its forms.

« Reply #232 on: 24 Nov 2019, 02:46 »

That's always been my interpretation, but I never really sat and analyzed the lyrics.

Good track, though.

This one was playing as I responded:

« Reply #233 on: 26 Nov 2019, 12:45 »
Cheers dact. Hadn't heard of these guys. I like the reverb on the voice in the chorus and the fat, fuzzy base. Sort of reminds me of a Killers/OK GO sort of feel. Speaking of which:

Edit: wow this brings back memories of summer 2014!
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2019, 12:47 by man n fist »

Jack

• Think deviant
« Reply #234 on: 26 Nov 2019, 23:20 »

« Reply #235 on: 27 Nov 2019, 03:25 »
Jarvis Cocker is always the right answer. Not sure I've heard this track? I'm totally going to listen to this when I'm home and not on mobile.

« Reply #236 on: 05 Dec 2019, 17:54 »
I so lonely.

Edit: I see some Madrugada above! Good stuff, have you heard of Torgeir Waldemar - my current Norwegian of choice?

Hear me out, the guitar in the chorus of this Peter Gabriel track ("Digging in the dirt, stay with me I need support..." etc) has some similarity to your track, Haggis. I love that guitar effect, sort of dreamy reverb.

« Reply #237 on: 07 Dec 2019, 16:55 »
Say what you will about Miley Cyrus, but she really does nail Silent Night:

It actually completely saves A Very Murray Christmas, which is otherwise not worth the money that went into making it! (And I say that as a Bill Murray megafan!)

« Reply #238 on: Yesterday at 18:38 »

Anyone going to hop on this Christmassy tangent, or are we all a bunch of humbugs?  (roll)

« Reply #239 on: Yesterday at 20:31 »
Anyone going to hop on this Christmassy tangent, or are we all a bunch of humbugs?  (roll)

Sure :P