What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Edit: It's really jamming tonight.

milkanannan

Yeah, good call on not posting the goofy Chevy Chase video. Distracts from an actually really good song! (laugh)

Snarky

I've been rereading the Discworld series. Guess which book I'm up to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NIK-nsI2g

Spoiler
Wrong; it's actually Hogfather. But I've been checking out different versions of the Phantom since Maskerade.
[close]

milkanannan

Nice change of pace, Snarky.

Sorry, I know we've already had our TOOL moment, but if I'm to be true to the 'what song are you listening to right now' topic:

milkanannan

If anyone cares to share, how do you interpret the lyrics in this song?

TheFrighter

My impressions it's about pedophilia (a boy baited with the money by an older man), still I don't get the meaning of the red hand. Maybe a mark as The scarlet letter by N. Hawthorne?
_

milkanannan

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sat 23/11/2019 12:47:55

My impressions it's about pedophilia (a boy baited with the money by an older man), still I don't get the meaning of the red hand. Maybe a mark as The scarlet letter by N. Hawthorne?
_

That has always been my interpretation since I first heard it: a song with reference to sexual assault. However, I see that most people online interpret the red hand to be God's wrath or something a bit more specific to Ireland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Ulster

Snarky

I heard that (again) recently when I watched Scream and Scream 2 for Halloween, and I remember thinking that it was probably about God. ("You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.") And apparently it's an allusion to Paradise Lost.

Listening again, it seems to me like it's about "The Man," a catch-all for authority structures that have the power to upend your life: the military, drug syndicates, Hollywood…

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 23/11/2019 15:28:16
I heard that (again) recently when I watched Scream and Scream 2 for Halloween, and I remember thinking that it was probably about God. ("You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.") And apparently it's an allusion to Paradise Lost.

Listening again, it seems to me like it's about "The Man," a catch-all for authority structures that have the power to upend your life: the military, drug syndicates, Hollywood…

Yeah, I agree. I guess that's it. I mean, even the sexual predator fits into the interpretation of overwhelming power that can change a life forever. I guess it is a song about the phenomena of overwhelming power in all its forms.

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 23/11/2019 15:28:16Listening again, it seems to me like it's about "The Man," a catch-all for authority structures that have the power to upend your life: the military, drug syndicates, Hollywood...

That's always been my interpretation, but I never really sat and analyzed the lyrics.

Good track, though.

This one was playing as I responded:

milkanannan

Cheers dact. Hadn't heard of these guys. I like the reverb on the voice in the chorus and the fat, fuzzy base. Sort of reminds me of a Killers/OK GO sort of feel. Speaking of which:

Edit: wow this brings back memories of summer 2014!

milkanannan

Jarvis Cocker is always the right answer. Not sure I've heard this track? I'm totally going to listen to this when I'm home and not on mobile.

milkanannan

Quote from: Haggis on Fri 18/10/2019 19:25:27
I so lonely.

Edit: I see some Madrugada above! Good stuff, have you heard of Torgeir Waldemar - my current Norwegian of choice?

Hear me out, the guitar in the chorus of this Peter Gabriel track ("Digging in the dirt, stay with me I need support..." etc) has some similarity to your track, Haggis. I love that guitar effect, sort of dreamy reverb.

milkanannan

Say what you will about Miley Cyrus, but she really does nail Silent Night:

It actually completely saves A Very Murray Christmas, which is otherwise not worth the money that went into making it! (And I say that as a Bill Murray megafan!)

milkanannan

Anyone going to hop on this Christmassy tangent, or are we all a bunch of humbugs?  (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk