What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

I've loved all the songs by the Clockwork quartet since ever I first found out about them, but I feel this one is especially topical in these times:

TheFrighter

Those two italian bands share the same singer, he has a hell of voice!

_

milkanannan

Reminds me of Soundgarden and HIM. Here's the first HIM track I heard:

Also, wife and I listening to to shanties because of the movie Blow the Man Down:

Snarky

milkanannan

Is our theme 90's pop? Say no more!

Of course:

Holy crap - I honestly never realised that Semi-Charmed Life and Never Let You Go were by the same group 8-0 I mean, could a movie/TV show coffee shop scene in the 90's be without one of those two tracks? (laugh)

OK you knew it was coming...they even got the characters being idiots on set! yay! (laugh)

dactylopus

Third Eye Blind had a surprising number of hits for how brief they were at the top of the charts.  Semi-Charmed Life, Graduate, How's It Going to Be, Losing a Whole Year, and Jumper from the self-titled album and Anything and Never Let You Go from Blue were all pretty big, but that was basically a 2 year span and they faded from the forefront as quickly as they came.  I mean, they were / are still around, but they were never nearly as popular as they were in 1997 or so.  Pretty edgy for radio friendly pop stuff, though.

I liked Losing a Whole Year, but Anything is my favorite of theirs.  A quick 2 minute blast:

Third Eye Blind - Anything

A few other songs I love that are short but intense...

Quicksand - Backward

Boysetsfire - Cavity

Chevelle - Mia

Sense Field - Outlive The Man

The mid-late 90's were awesome for hard rock.

But my bad, you were posting 90's pop-rock.  Here are a couple of memorable mid-90's tunes:

Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's

Del Amitri - Roll To Me

Snarky

I don't have any memory of Third Eye Blind from the nineties. I don't think I ever hear their musicâ€"or if I did, I didn't notice.

It looks like their nineties stuff never charted in Norway, and they're relatively unknown here (the band doesn't have a Norwegian Wikipedia page, for example). I only came to know their biggest hit as the intro song to the BlueCupTools podcast.

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 30/04/2020 07:02:48
I don't have any memory of Third Eye Blind from the nineties. I don't think I ever hear their musicâ€"or if I did, I didn't notice.

It looks like their nineties stuff never charted in Norway, and they're relatively unknown here (the band doesn't have a Norwegian Wikipedia page, for example). I only came to know their biggest hit as the intro song to the BlueCupTools podcast.

Three alternative possibilities:

1. Norway didn't have coffee shops in the 90's.
2. You fell through a wormhole and somehow missed Third Eye Blind's 34 minutes of intergalactic superfame.
3. You actually did hear it as often as the rest of us and were about to stab your eardrums with a pair of chopsticks when your brain snapped itself into selective amnesia.  (laugh)

Snarky

Quote from: manannan on Thu 30/04/2020 09:57:40
1. Norway didn't have coffee shops in the 90's.

Yeah, I'm not sure we did, actually. The Starbucks trend had not arrived. As teens we would hang out by gas stations, and around places like kebab and fast food joints. (Well, personally I probably spent more time in scifi bookstores.) Some people had MTV (not sure whether UK or a distinct Scandinavian version), but not my house.

Quote from: manannan on Thu 30/04/2020 09:57:40
2. You fell through a wormhole and somehow missed Third Eye Blind's 34 minutes of intergalactic superfame.
3. You actually did hear it as often as the rest of us and were about to stab your eardrums with a pair of chopsticks when your brain snapped itself into selective amnesia.  (laugh)

In 1997 I was by choice listening to Skunk Anansi, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers… and looking at the charts, they were filled with "Candle in the Wind", Spice Girls, The Verve, White Town, Chumbawamba… It was the height of "Cool Britannia," and apart from the Friends theme I don't think American pop-rock made a huge impact over here at the time (there was a fair bit of US rap and R&B). Oh, I see Smashing Pumpkins did pretty well with their Batman track. I like that one.

milkanannan

This one? Yeah, I always liked it, too.

milkanannan

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 30/04/2020 11:32:49
In 1997 I was by choice listening to Skunk Anansi, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers... and looking at the charts, they were filled with "Candle in the Wind", Spice Girls, The Verve, White Town, Chumbawamba... It was the height of "Cool Britannia," and apart from the Friends theme I don't think American pop-rock made a huge impact over here at the time (there was a fair bit of US rap and R&B). Oh, I see Smashing Pumpkins did pretty well with their Batman track. I like that one.
I wasn't listening to that stuff much at the time, but my brother was so I was aware of it.  I liked Breathe by Prodigy more than most of the other stuff in the genre back then, but I've gained a new appreciation for Chemical Brothers and such in more recent years.  The closest I came to that was trip-hop like Portishead, which I was very deeply into.  The stuff on the charts I wasn't much into either.  I've never been a big fan of contemporary top 40 pop radio music.  I was very into rock and hard rock throughout the 90's, primarily the Seattle stuff and similar work, but the Smashing Pumpkins started to get me in the mid 90's.  After the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness album, I went back to the earlier stuff (I had previously thought of them as annoying because of Billy Corgan's voice, but learned to deal with it because the rest of it was fantastic, and his songwriting was awesome).

I love this one:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby

I got really into long, epic rock music for a while because of Pumpkins stuff like this, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, Starla, and Soma.  There was plenty of influence from Pink Floyd, like Shine On You Crazy Diamond and the Animals album as well.  A little later, Radiohead's epic Paranoid Android blew me away, like a futuristic version of Floyd.

Quote from: manannan on Thu 30/04/2020 12:04:35
This one? Yeah, I always liked it, too.
Quote from: manannan on Thu 30/04/2020 12:06:27
This one was also cool:

Yeah, that movie had a cool soundtrack.  Great stuff, like Seal's Kiss From a Rose, Offspring's Smash It Up, Michael Hutchence's amazing cover of Iggy Pop's Passenger, and good stuff from Sunny Day Real Estate, Flaming Lips, Nick Cave, and PJ Harvey.  Too bad the movie was shit (despite a solid blockbuster cast for that era).  This one reminds me of another soundtrack, actually:

Incubus & DJ Greyboy - Familiar

OK, well the concept for the soundtrack was cooler than the album itself, but I love that track.  And the movie was better than Batman Forever, but could have still been improved.

Had to go listen to this while I was typing:

Sunny Day Real Estate - Pillars

milkanannan

It's funny you should mention Thru the Eyes of Ruby. I remember a group I hung out with for a while in high school were super into Mellon Collie and found that to be the album defining track. I always really liked it too, the sort of build-up riff (I learned it on guitar; it keeps letting the B string ring open which feels cool while you're playing). Also the effects around the 'breathing underwater, living under glass' part sound so dreamy/watery.

dactylopus

Quote from: manannan on Fri 01/05/2020 05:58:51
It's funny you should mention Thru the Eyes of Ruby. I remember a group I hung out with for a while in high school were super into Mellon Collie and found that to be the album defining track. I always really liked it too, the sort of build-up riff (I learned it on guitar; it keeps letting the B string ring open which feels cool while you're playing). Also the effects around the 'breathing underwater, living under glass' part sound so dreamy/watery.
Definitely a great track.  It's a pretty good summation of the album.  I agree that the effects were great in that part.  I always loved how the beginning starts with this dissonant sounding piano, and how the ending basically turns into a completely different song.

dactylopus

Stupot

I don't have any memory of Third Eye Blind from the nineties. I don't think I ever hear their music—or if I did, I didn't notice.

I know the song through American Pie (I checked and that film wasn't released in Norway until December 1999 so there's a chance you didn't see it in the nineties), but yeah, other than that they were not a band on my radar either.

Today I listened to a song from the same era that always comes back to me every summer.

https://youtu.be/E1fzJ_AYajA

But here's the kicker... There is currently a thunderstorm outside.

Snarky

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 06/05/2020 09:46:05
I know the song through American Pie (I checked and that film wasn't released in Norway until December 1999 so there's a chance you didn't see it in the nineties)

I did see it, but probably not in December; it was a pretty busy month for me (military service, university entrance interview, probably visiting my family abroad for Christmas, millennium celebration...). So I'm technically correct! (TBKOC)

Yeah, that soundtrack didn't make any impression on me. I think the only contemporary song off there I was (already) listening to was "Celebrity Skin". I only came to appreciate "Flagpole Sitta" with Peep Show years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dWBLoU--E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsMjEeEg4g
(Not sure if it's just the audio quality on the YouTube video that's bad or if the mixing was really that terrible)

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 06/05/2020 09:46:05

I know the song through American Pie (I checked and that film wasn't released in Norway until December 1999 so there's a chance you didn't see it in the nineties), but yeah, other than that they were not a band on my radar either.

Today I listened to a song from the same era that always comes back to me every summer.

I remember these guys. Catchy song, but the video is a full on tutorial of how to look like a complete 90's D-bag. (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk