What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

@tycho Yeah you've got me listening to his stuff now too, although it makes my want to wear coke bottle glasses at a typewriter, chain smoke, and day drink something elaborate with a celery stalk in it  (laugh) lol yeah total cliche waiting room music. His tracks loosely remind me of Dmitri from Paris:

Jack

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

. something went wrong when posting

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Quoteman n fist,  i do adore dimitri from paris, have an album knocking about somewhere, thats an awesome track, never heard that one before

and ops, i forgot to post another wally tune yesterday, to make up for it here is a treat for you all, ultra rare footage of the man himself, in fact its the only live footage i have ever found of him

QuotePlayback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.
wtf ... err

LINK:   www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9aftG6pybA

Live sound quality is terrible, so here is the studio recording too www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMq2g1QPou4

milkanannan

Yeah that is weird that it won't play here. I clicked through and listened to the live track. Quality isn't too bad. I thought you meant it would be unlistenable. I actually like watching the live version and seeing how that music is made. Definitely a distinct sound.  :)

I've always loved this track:

...loved it so much I included it in my one and only AGS game. (laugh) Just has a grand, ballroom party pride to it with undertones of something sinister. Anyone recognise the movie it is from? Here's a clue:

milkanannan

Some Ukrainian chill house. Perfect beer + sunset music.  :-D

TheFrighter

I'm not sure what genre is, but I like it:

_

milkanannan

Laura Hunt

Hi! Is this thread still open?

Lately I've been obsessed with this guy, who goes by King Krule, Zoo Kid, Archy Marshall and who knows how many more monikers. He's only 24 years old, he published his first album when he was 19, and his music is... how would I describe this... lo-fi late night croony jazz-blues with breakbeats and "chopped and screwed"-type hip hop beats. The embedded video is easily one of his most conventional songs, but the album The OOZ as a whole (and it is one of those albums that needs to be listened to as a whole) is just mind-blowingly weird, personal, experimental and unique. If this is what gen Z kids are bringing to the table, I'm SO in!

milkanannan

Nice - hadn't heard of that guy. Listening to OOZ right now (it's on YouTube if anyone else is interested).

Edit: guess I could just include it here:

dactylopus

I was introduced to this some while back:

I really like this one.  Great song, great video.

milkanannan

Let's not let this thread die my dudes! Here, no one hates Velvet Underground:

(I personally love this song so much. I can't even listen to it without being kind of reflective on my own younger days. Youth is such a blessing.)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 00:43:35Here, no one hates Velvet Underground:

* raises hand slowly *

(I don't really HATE them, I just HATE Lou Reed, and I think the VU only made 1 good album but I actually love All Tomorrow's Parties and Venus in Furs so they kind of get a pass for that I guess.)

Anyway, today is this kind of day for me. Anybody else into extreme metal around these parts?

milkanannan

Haha nice little diversion. Just out of curiosity - what do you do when you're listening to that music?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 16:53:30
Haha nice little diversion. Just out of curiosity - what do you do when you're listening to that music?

Snarl at everybody around me? Hahaha I don't know, that's a weird question! Same things I do when listening to other kinds of music, I guess... Browsing / reading stuff on the internet, working at the office, working out sometimes... It's not necessarily "angry music" for me, I just enjoy the sheer intensity of it (and in some cases, of course, also the actual musicianship, production, etc... those are the albums I enjoy listening to the most on my Good Headphones (tm) while taking a walk with no destination in mind or lying on the couch staring at the ceiling :))

milkanannan

Lol I only ask because I wouldn't be able to focus on anything (i.e. reading) if that were in my headphones, and if I walked around while listening to it I'd probably be in some headspace where death-staring everyone that goes by would seem appropriate.  (laugh)

Jack

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 00:43:35
Velvet Underground

Nice.

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 12/04/2019 03:50:29

Dmitri Shostakovich -  Waltz No. 2

Also great, one of my favourite waltzes. It's from Eyes Wide Shut, of course. Every time I hear it I want to re-watch the film just a little bit more.

You are hereby cordially invited to turn up the volume.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 18:05:46
Lol I only ask because I wouldn't be able to focus on anything (i.e. reading) if that were in my headphones, and if I walked around while listening to it I'd probably be in some headspace where death-staring everyone that goes by would seem appropriate.  (laugh)

Funny, I find it to be great background music, to the point that sometimes I'll even put on something like this when I want to take a nap :-D I guess it's such a pummeling wall of noise that at some point my brain just registers it as a drone!

milkanannan

Quote from: Jack on Fri 09/08/2019 18:36:16
Quote from: man n fist on Fri 09/08/2019 00:43:35
Velvet Underground

Nice.

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 12/04/2019 03:50:29

Dmitri Shostakovich -  Waltz No. 2

Also great, one of my favourite waltzes. It's from Eyes Wide Shut, of course. Every time I hear it I want to re-watch the film just a little bit more.

You are hereby cordially invited to turn up the volume.

Jack just embedding the video from your comment. Yeah I love this track too! Jarvis Cocker's lyrics are also always very clever:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk