What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Dact, loved all of those. Fond memories from my teenage years of that Sigur Ros album. Actually just listening to that track takes me back.

Some Stones. Voodoo Lounge is an underrated album:

dactylopus

I was not familiar with that Stones song.  Thanks for posting, I really dig it.

Here's my recent listen:

TheFrighter

I don't know if someone likes this kind of music, or even dance it... well, this track have something.

_

milkanannan

Nice little grove there, Frighter.

Anyone remember music styles like 'gabber'. It just sounds like a headache to 40-year-old me now:

Snarky

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 26/09/2019 13:37:01
What I'm literally listening to right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5kjOanGxs

!!!

I love Madrugada to bits (their reunion tour absolutely slayed, never thought I would have the chance to hear those songs live), but I always found Hoyem's solo albums to be kind of ehhhhh whatever. This is a very nice track though! Makes me want to check out the album to see if there's anything else I might have missed :)

These days I've been trying to get into the new Chelsea Wolfe album, but it's been a huge disappointment. The songs she shared in advance were all stunning, but when the album finally came out, it was clear that they were actually the only decent tracks on it. It's not that it's BAD, it's just... boring. Dull. Uninspired. Droning. Songs meld into one another and after a while of listening to it I inevitably find myself zoning out and coming back to it two tracks later like "huh? What was I listening to? What time is it?"

Anyway, here goes what is probably my favourite song from the album. The video is crappy but the song is very pretty. Side effects might include stopping whatever you are doing, contemplating the ceiling pensively, and thinking back on somebody you hurt at some point:

Snarky

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 26/09/2019 13:53:07
I love Madrugada to bits (their reunion tour absolutely slayed, never thought I would have the chance to hear those songs live), but I always found Hoyem's solo albums to be kind of ehhhhh whatever. This is a very nice track though! Makes me want to check out the album to see if there's anything else I might have missed :)

I've been a big fan of Madrugada almost since the startâ€"I remember eagerly awaiting the New Depression EPâ€"but I missed them at the Quart Festival back in 2000, and so never saw them live until the reunion this January.

Spoiler
Unfortunately it was a slight letdown for me: I'd have liked them to play more songs from throughout their career rather than doing all of Industrial Silence to the near-exclusion of anything else, and I was almost a bit put off by the scale of the whole production.

Still, it was definitely a great show, and Høyem's vocals and frontman energy are amazing.
[close]
Anyway, I completely agree about Høyem's solo stuff. It just doesn't rock the way the band did. I've listened to his albums a few times, and only a couple of tracks (this one primarily) have stuck with me.

BTW, thanks for the Lana del Rey pick. I've never really cared for her music, but that was quite an earworm.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 26/09/2019 20:36:44I've been a big fan of Madrugada almost since the startâ€"I remember eagerly awaiting the New Depression EPâ€"but I missed them at the Quart Festival back in 2000, and so never saw them live until the reunion this January.

Ha, it was the other way around for me: the first thing I heard from them was "Look away Lucifer" and I went backwards from there.

It's surprising to know about the scale of the production in other places, in Berlin they gave a pretty stripped down show on a small-ish stage (see the pic below), with just some fancy lights now and then and a glitter cannon (just one! Ghost had TWO!) during... "Norwegian Hammerworks Corp", I think? In any case, hearing Industrial Silence in its entirety made me very very happy so I can't really complain about the dearth of tracks from other albums :)

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 26/09/2019 20:36:44BTW, thanks for the Lana del Rey pick. I've never really cared for her music, but that was quite an earworm.

Happy to hear! It really is a wonderful song.

milkanannan

Haggis

I so lonely.

Edit: I see some Madrugada above! Good stuff, have you heard of Torgeir Waldemar - my current Norwegian of choice?

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 18/10/2019 18:17:39
:~(

For Layne? Yeah he was such a unique voice. It's also unique how blended his sound is with Cantrell's. They were a cool group for sure.

milkanannan

milkanannan

Pop Canadian country, anyone? ... Hello? (laugh)

Haggis

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 18/10/2019 22:45:45
Pop Canadian country, anyone? ... Hello? (laugh)

I dig it!!

I was just a little too young to fully appreciate the Big Seattle bands in the early 90s - but I was fortunate enough to see Soundgarden when they reformed at Hyde Park in 2012 and Pearl Jam a few years later in Milton Keynes. Chris Cornell's death felt weirdly close to home. Mark Lanegan is still making great music. Anyway... I'm dabbling in some development for the first time in years and need something lengthy and inspiring (and likely to make me pick my guitar up and play along badly) so...

Snarky

Playing the Dune board game reawakened my obsession with everything Arrakis. Back in 1992, Cryo did a great adventure (slash-strategy) game with an excellent soundtrack, and I've been listening to some "live" covers of that. This one is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7UhANJlofg

This one is almost really cool, but he fucks up the percussion/timing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqa3Ed9hHq8

milkanannan

Never in a million years thought a song like this would resonate, but I've always really liked Minaj's chorus on this track. There's something about that build to the minor chord (i.e. "can't you hear that boom..."). It's actually the same group of chords used in AIC's Got Me Wrong.

milkanannan

C'mon guys ~ anyone else have a guilty pop music pleasure they'd like to get off their chest? (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk