What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 25/10/2019 12:24:37
C'mon guys ~ anyone else have a guilty pop music pleasure they'd like to get off their chest? (laugh)

(I think all my guilty mainstream pop pleasures are at least 25 years old, right now I can't think of any recent songs I would be embarrassed to admit I like :-D)

milkanannan

milkanannan

In the same vein:

(This video always cracks me up. What were they thinking? Eye patches, flags and finger wagging?! (laugh) Ah well, no cringe video can destroy the awesomeness of this song!)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Fri 25/10/2019 13:10:22
Not fair - EVERYBODY loves Venus! (laugh) (laugh)

Sure, the original is great, but the Bananarama version is like a compilation of all the worst cliches of the 80s... and yet I love it :-D

And hey, the ONLY embarrassing thing about the "You spin me round" video is the other band members, who clearly could not live up to the fabulousness that was required of them :P Everything else is just the BEST (and the song is an absolute classic!)

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 25/10/2019 13:23:13
Quote from: man n fist on Fri 25/10/2019 13:10:22
Not fair - EVERYBODY loves Venus! (laugh) (laugh)

Sure, the original is great, but the Bananarama version is like a compilation of all the worst cliches of the 80s... and yet I love it :-D

And hey, the ONLY embarrassing thing about the "You spin me round" video is the other band members, who clearly could not live up to the fabulousness that was required of them :P Everything else is just the BEST (and the song is an absolute classic!)

Banarama version means different things to different people - I can never mentally separate it from this Gillette advertising campaign for women's razors from around 20 years ago. I don't think anything Gillette has ever done sold women's razors faster in Canada. Hell I was going to buy one!  :-D

Yeah those DoA band members get a failing grade for lacking enthusiasm. Bath robes, flags and eye patches...what else do you guys need!

milkanannan

Sorry, I'm just going to dump tracks here for a bit. Yes, there are better Boney M songs out there, but this is the very very first one I heard, and I remember liking the vibe right away. :=

milkanannan

I think I once read that dude was actually a complete overdub. It was the producer singing the whole time.  (laugh)

milkanannan

I will always always love Annie Lennox. Greatest thing to ever come out of Scotland.

TheFrighter

Halloween is coming... this is one of my favourite creepy tunes:

But I don't exactly understand what this song talk about... the keeper saw ghosts? Or dead bodies from the sea? Or it is all a psicological thing?  ???

_

Slasher

TheFrighter

Saw van der graaf generator in the mid 70's... Fantastic band..

Snarky

Throwback Tuesday: I recently lost my mp3 player, so I've been copying my music collection onto my phone from various external hard-drives. (While forced to give up on having a separate device, I'm not ready to go streaming yet.)

That's thrown up a bunch of ancient mp3 files I downloaded in college, from Napster and its successors. Which in turn got me thinking about the tapes I recorded off the radio in the nineties. It's all available online now, of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8sf9dNQWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3sMjm9Eloo

milkanannan

Laura Hunt

Listening to this absolute monster classic of an album right now before it gets taken down from Youtube again (and again and again and again... the record label is relentless). I actually own the CD, but it's great to be able to listen to it at the click of a button without having to transfer the mp3 rips onto my phone.

And yes, that cover is by John Wayne Gacy himself.

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 31/10/2019 12:59:16

Listening to this absolute monster classic of an album right now before it gets taken down from Youtube again (and again and again and again... the record label is relentless). I actually own the CD, but it's great to be able to listen to it at the click of a button without having to transfer the mp3 rips onto my phone.

Argh - 'video unavailable' here. Who/what was the track?

Creamy

Laura made me want to listen to Chelsea Wolfe. I love this one:

They mixed two versions of the same song.

Quotethe tapes I recorded off the radio in the nineties
I didn't record many tapes but I burnt a lot of CDs:

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Thu 31/10/2019 19:17:14
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 31/10/2019 12:59:16

Argh - 'video unavailable' here. Who/what was the track?

Hahaha wow, that was fast. It was "When the Kite String Pops", by Acid Bath.

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 31/10/2019 20:21:13
Laura made me want to listen to Chelsea Wolfe. I love this one:

Yessss so good!

LimpingFish

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 27/10/2019 19:25:57
Saw van der graaf generator in the mid 70's... Fantastic band..

You lucky, lucky b*st*rd!

Seriously, I love VDGG, and to have seen the live in their prime is something I can only dream of.

Going off-topic, kind of, for a moment, I was born in the mid 70's, and I find that I'm just not interested in music the was recorded post-millennium. I mean, I love music that was recorded in the 60s, 70s, 80's and even into the 90s (Hell, I even like some music that goes back to the 1920s!), but I seem to have a cut-off point around 2000. It's weird. Or is it? Is it some kind of mental block for music recorded by people who are younger than I am? Can I only respect music that was recorded by people older than me? I'm kinda drunk at the moment, so forgive me if this seems question seems a little...weird.

EDIT: On topic, I'm currently listening to Johnny Halliday's cover of Hey Joe, from 1967!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk