What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 09/12/2019 20:31:31
Quote from: man n fist on Mon 09/12/2019 18:38:23Anyone going to hop on this Christmassy tangent, or are we all a bunch of humbugs?  (roll)

Sure :P

WT jeebus F was that?!  (laugh) (laugh)

milkanannan

milkanannan

Blondbraid

I'm a history nerd and a Swede, I pretty much had to link this:

milkanannan

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 18/12/2019 23:02:08
I'm a history nerd and a Swede, I pretty much had to link this:

QuoteIn an era characterized by almost endless warfare, Gustavus Adolphus inherited three simultaneous and ongoing wars of his father at the age of sixteen. Two of these were border wars with Russia and Denmark, and a more personal war (at least for his father) with Gustavus' first cousin, King Sigismund III Vasa of Poland.[7] Of these three wars that were passed onto his rule, the Danish war was the most acute one.[8]

During his reign, Sweden rose from the status of a Baltic Sea basin regional power to one of the great powers of Europe and a model of early modern era government. Gustavus Adolphus is famously known as the "father of modern warfare",[9] or the first great modern general. Under his tutelage, Sweden and the Protestant cause developed a number of excellent commanders, such as Lennart Torstensson, who would go on to defeat Sweden's enemies and expand the boundaries and the power of the empire long after Gustavus Adolphus's death in battle. Spoils meant he became a successful bookraider in Europe, targeting Jesuit collections.[10]

Called "The Golden King" and "The Lion of the North", he made Sweden one of the great powers of Europe, in part by reforming the administrative structure. For example, he began parish registration of the population, so that the central government could more efficiently tax and conscript the people.[11] Historian Christer Jorgensen argues that his achievement in the field of economic reform, trade, modernization, and the creation of the modern bureaucratic autocracy was as great as his exploits on the battlefields. His domestic reforms, which transformed a backward, almost medieval economy and society, were in fact not only the foundations for his victories in Germany, but also absolutely crucial for the creation and survival of the Swedish Empire.[12]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Adolphus_of_Sweden

Wow, that's quite the CV. (laugh) I have to admit I know none of the main actors from the Swedish Empire, but I'll definitely read up more on this guy.

Ponch

TVTV$ - Daddy drank our Christmas money

Blondbraid

Quote from: manannan on Sat 21/12/2019 14:06:39
Wow, that's quite the CV. (laugh) I have to admit I know none of the main actors from the Swedish Empire, but I'll definitely read up more on this guy.
That's the great thing about Sabaton, all their best songs have a great history lesson in them!

Anyway, as great a strategist as Gustavus Adolphus was, one of his main faults was overeating, and it's even said his weight contributed to him being killed in Leipzig as he was too
heavy for his nearest men to carry him to safety after he got injured. So naturally, Swedes decided to commemorate his death day by eating a pastry!

milkanannan

And I guess you could reenact  one of his wars by buying a jelly danish and smashing it into a Gustavus pastry?

Sorry I'll let myself out...

Blondbraid

Quote from: manannan on Tue 31/12/2019 06:54:41
And I guess you could reenact  one of his wars by buying a jelly danish and smashing it into a Gustavus pastry?

Sorry I'll let myself out...
Well, technically it was the Germans that got to him at Leipzig, but I guess doing combining the pastry with a bratwurst wouldn't be as tasty!  (laugh)

milkanannan

Edit: I found kind of a cool fan made vid:

dactylopus

I do enjoy some Crystal Castles.  Hadn't heard that song before.  I like the typical dark aesthetic.

The fan video is interesting for sure.  I'll have to find a copy of that freaky vampire movie they pulled the clips from.

I'm listening to Babes of Atlantis.  Current track is All Over Again.  Love this one.

milkanannan

Cool track ~ something about the poppy snare drum sound reminds me of Summertime Rolls by Jane's Addiction.

I guess our new theme is 'random', so here's something that came across my Reddit feed today:

dactylopus

Quote from: manannan on Mon 20/01/2020 18:25:33

Great find!  It's a really chill hip-hop beat.  I actually ripped it and listened to it on a road trip last week.

And nice call-out to Summertime Rolls.  Great track.

I'm listening to this at the moment:

milkanannan

Nice - apparently that video is Tokyo (according to the comments).

Air's Lost in Kyoto:

There's also a background/study/work version  :-D

Can anyone share a cool track that's actually by a Japanese artist? I've already beat you to Pon Pon Pon, so something else please  (laugh)

Stupot

I don't listen to a lot of Japanese stuff. Just a few bands or artists that I trust. One such group is Ogre You Asshole. I fell in love with them when I saw them support Polysics in 2007.

Here's something of theirs I listened to recently:

Laura Hunt

Quote from: manannan on Sat 08/02/2020 04:13:20
Can anyone share a cool track that's actually by a Japanese artist? I've already beat you to Pon Pon Pon, so something else please  (laugh)

I've been listening to Rioji Ikeda a lot these days, since I'm working on a "clicks and cuts" type of playlist:

If that's too cold, maybe try some DJ Krush: (beat enters at 0:50 if long intros bore you):

Even more chill is Nujabes. Not quite my thing, but...:

On the other hand, if you're in a fuck you kind of mood, Merzbow is your friend:

Boris are very, very, VERY cool. "Pink" is their all-time classic and less experimental that what they're doing now, but it's still a trip:

Hell, have another one. They're SOOOOO GOOOD

And of course... Babymetal:

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 08/02/2020 04:45:56
I don't listen to a lot of Japanese stuff. Just a few bands or artists that I trust. One such group is Ogre You Asshole.

That was really cool! Very trippy and spacey... might just queue up a few of their songs while I go about my morning doing stuff around the house :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk