What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 30/03/2020 08:03:57
Moving away from metal, you can't speak of best rock bass players without mentioning Violent Femmes' Gordon Gano:
That Violent Femmes track is great, and a good showcase of the bass skill for sure.  I wasn't familiar with much more than a few of their more well known songs (Blister in the Sun, Kiss Off, and Gone Daddy Gone).  Here's another fun one:

The Violent Femmes - Dance, Motherfucker, Dance

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 30/03/2020 08:39:32
re: drummers , some great posts there form you guys!
Rupak is amazing.  I love a great tabla player.  And that Venetian Snares drumming is fantastic.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't know that I would have believed it was live drumming without the video.

Quote from: lorenzo on Tue 31/03/2020 09:12:18
Probably one of the best bass players ever, Jaco Pastorius:

Charles Mingus, fantastic double bass player and composer:
Both of these guys are incredibly skilled players.  Great tracks here.

Here's something with a double bass, although the talent is nothing like Mingus.  Just solid bass grooves:

Soul Coughing - Super Bon Bon

A great band with nice drums as well.

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 31/03/2020 12:58:16
You people are too industrial gothic for me :) Actually I'm not much into music in the first place :/
Gotta love Mussorgsky.  This one was dark, but sweetly romantic.  Everyone should be familiar with his most famous work (and my favorite classical piece of all time), which was featured in Fantasia.  This is a decent performance of it (the harp could have been a bit louder):

Modest Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain

Quote from: jwalt on Thu 02/04/2020 10:59:17
Rockin' Sidney:
Video has a slight glitch in the second song. Interesting artist that I missed along the way.
This was fun, and nice to see a different instrument featured!  Reminds me of a few years ago working with the RFD television station and their Mollie B Polka Party show on the overnight shift.

Quote from: manannan on Thu 02/04/2020 19:32:36
Dact, I've heard some cool randoms (at least randoms to me) play on that NPR Tiny Desk Concert.

Alright so long as we're in random town at the moment:
Yeah, I've discovered a few there myself, and seen some other good ones perform.

And Neil Young is classic.  A band that reminds me of Neil is Built To Spill (possibly because of the vocals):

Built To Spill - Distopian Dream Girl

There's Nothing Wrong With Love is a fantastic album.  In fact, this band has put out a lot of stellar music.

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 04/04/2020 11:14:03
HIP HOP

I stumbled across this song, really love it! It was vaguely familiar and I didn't know why. Turns out it was in a Tony Hawks game!

HARD ROCK

I had never heard of Poppy before january, and while I'm not so keen on most of her earlier electronic pop songs, this alternative album of hers, "I disagree", released earlier this year, blew me away. This chorus is catchy as hell.

MORE HARD ROCK YESH
This song is also super catchy, and the video feels really 90's, I love it!

ELECTRONIC ROCK
Loved these folks for years. This particular song stands out for me on my first album listen on their new works.

ALTERNATE DANCE?
Not as well mastered/mixed as the others, because this is by me, lol. Still, I've really impressed myself with this beast! For fans of Prodigy, I guess?
El-P is great.  Here's my favorite of his (and there is an instrumental available as well):

El-P (ft. Aesop Rock & Ill Bill) - Delorean

"Great Scott!"

And that Poppy song reminds me of Sevendust.  I've said it before in this thread, so I guess a lot of metal does:

Sevendust - Denial

I dig that Birthday Massacre track.  Good stuff.

Your own track is good, too!  I can definitely see the Prodigy influence.  Thanks for sharing it!

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 04/04/2020 11:43:41
El-P is a total boss! Company Flow's "Funcrusher Plus" is a cult classic, and his first solo album "Fantastic Damage" was absolutely groundbreaking in terms of production. I'm really happy that after all these years he's gaining the mainstream recognition he deserves with Run The Jewels.
Another great El-P track, and yeah, Fantastic Damage is sweet.

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 04/04/2020 12:02:40
Oh heh, guess I should have mentioned I have 2 or 3 El-P albums, but this song escaped me. I wasn't into him during PS2 era of that Tony Hawks song. Run the jewels are good but I prefer El-P's solo work. But yeah, at least people know who I'm talking about by mentioning RTJ!
I agree.  As good as Run the Jewels are, I still prefer his earlier work.

So here's what I've been listening to lately:

Bonny Light Horseman - The Roving

Nice and mellow.

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges 'C-Side'

Laid back, great bass tones.

Ohmme - 3 2 4 3

Some good modern alternative rock.

And a few older ones:

John Frusciante - The Slaughter

CKY - Sink Into the Underground

Enjoy!

Laura Hunt

Lots of stuff to check out here, will try to make some time for it!

Shame on me for forgetting about Mark Sandman when were were talking about bassists. Morphine were one of the most peculiar bands of the "alternative" 90s era, consisting of just a two-stringed bass, drums and saxophone. Like so many others, Mr. Sandman left us too soon, after collapsing on-stage from a heart attack back in '99 :~(

ManicMatt

Aesop Rock! I have a couple of his albums too! Check out Kirby, unless you already know it.

El-P saw Camu Tao's album released, after he died from cancer.

I'm not even going to attempt to label that genre of that album, but I love it so much! Especially this song with its commodore 64 style synths.

dactylopus

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 06/04/2020 11:33:55
Lots of stuff to check out here, will try to make some time for it!

Shame on me for forgetting about Mark Sandman when were were talking about bassists. Morphine were one of the most peculiar bands of the "alternative" 90s era, consisting of just a two-stringed bass, drums and saxophone. Like so many others, Mr. Sandman left us too soon, after collapsing on-stage from a heart attack back in '99 :~(
Good picks from Morphine!  I guess I didn't realize the specifics of their instrumentation before.  Fascinating.  Reminds me a bit of the aforementioned Soul Coughing, Ben Folds Five, or even Local H or the Presidents of the United States of America.

Quote from: ManicMatt on Mon 06/04/2020 13:31:47
Aesop Rock! I have a couple of his albums too! Check out Kirby, unless you already know it.

El-P saw Camu Tao's album released, after he died from cancer.

I'm not even going to attempt to label that genre of that album, but I love it so much! Especially this song with its commodore 64 style synths.
I had not heard Kirby, but now I love it!  Makes me want to actually compose songs about my cats (rather than just improving to them around the house).

And the Camu Tao track does have a great chiptune vibe.

So here's another couple of things I was listening to (2 completely different styles, but both really good):

GRiZ - Griztronics (ft. Subtronics)

El Michels Affair - Enfant (ft. The Shacks)

milkanannan

dactylopus

Quote from: manannan on Fri 10/04/2020 14:41:45
Yes! (laugh)
This is very funny, I love it.  Not a bad track, either.

My favorite autotune song is the surfer guy.  Crazy to think it was 10 years ago:

Funny, sure, but actually a really good track.  I also like the Carl Sagan autotunes.

Here's what I was listening to before that:

Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter #23

It's a cover of Shuggie Otis.  Thought about putting this in the other thread about cover songs, but I don't like it more than the original.  Both have their appeal, but the funky bassline in this cover version is worth noting for our earlier conversation.

jwalt

A long time ago... About the same time this piece came out of South Africa, I served aboard a US Navy Fleet Tug. We made a port visit to Port Antonio, Jamaica. As the day settled into a warm tropical evening, a nearby night club began belting out this song, complete with the cow bell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_S3QOJk90

Not long after we returned stateside, I started hearing this version on the radio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjYrski71II

I like 'em both, but only one version takes me back in time.

dactylopus

I'm currently listening to this:

Just started, so far the first track is cool.

milkanannan

How about a shout out to bald or balding singers:

milkanannan

Quote from: dactylopus on Sun 12/04/2020 04:15:33
I'm currently listening to this:

Just started, so far the first track is cool.

Yeah definitely nice ~ I'm also listening to a lot of synthwave/chiptune stuff (softly in the background) while I work from home.

Snarky

milkanannan

Yep he's bald enough. :smiley: Haven't heard that Pixies song in ages. Random: I was once in a band that covered 'Hey' (not necessarily well, but we tried!)

milkanannan

Snarky

A creepy little track off Guyville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-vGNIYhSE

It's one that seems to shift in meaning whenever I listen to it. This time around it sounds to me like a story of teenage sexual abuse.

milkanannan

Haggis, I've got this on again mate. I get the feeling this track spawned a thousand failed marriages. (laugh) I'm not crazy about the vocals, but the hook is quite catchy.

That track led me to this:

milkanannan

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Mon 20/04/2020 15:31:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZ__uy7T_Y

Cool track. Reminds me of this:

And this! (I love this video. Getting swallowed into a whale gives me such sublime megalophobia.)

Haggis

Quote from: manannan on Sun 26/04/2020 18:23:44
Haggis, I've got this on again mate. I get the feeling this track spawned a thousand failed marriages. (laugh) I'm not crazy about the vocals, but the hook is quite catchy.

Loving that John Moreland...

Recently I've been listening to this...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk