What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Quote from: manannan on Wed 06/05/2020 11:59:05
I remember these guys. Catchy song, but the video is a full on tutorial of how to look like a complete 90's D-bag. (laugh)

Did someone say 90s douchebag?  8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQsQZvsR_QI

milkanannan

(laugh)What’s with us Canadians and producing 90’s D-bag bands? (laugh)

milkanannan

"But we did nothing, absolutely buttkiss that day"  (laugh) oh lord D-bag lyrics bring back memories (sad facepalm)

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 06/05/2020 10:44:33
Quote from: Stupot on Wed 06/05/2020 09:46:05
I know the song through American Pie (I checked and that film wasn't released in Norway until December 1999 so there's a chance you didn't see it in the nineties)

I did see it, but probably not in December; it was a pretty busy month for me (military service, university entrance interview, probably visiting my family abroad for Christmas, millennium celebration...). So I'm technically correct! (TBKOC)

Yeah, that soundtrack didn't make any impression on me. I think the only contemporary song off there I was (already) listening to was "Celebrity Skin". I only came to appreciate "Flagpole Sitta" with Peep Show years later.
I liked Flagpole Sitta.  Great catchy track that definitely takes me back to that time.  I also liked Wooly Muffler off that album despite it not being a big pop hit.

As for Hole, I didn't like anything beyond the Live Through This album.  Doll Parts, Miss World, I Think That I Would Die...  Of course, there's also this gem:

Hole - Violet

Still probably one of my favorite songs of the era.  Definitely their best.  Somewhat reminds me of Everlong by the Foo Fighters, but maybe just because it's a clear winner for best track by the band in my mind.

Here are a couple more I'm reminded of:

Hum - The Pod

Of course Stars was the bigger hit, but this song is awesome.  Good album overall.

Fulflej - Microwave

That one takes me back, but it's likely one most haven't heard.

And here's a track I just listened to that kinda fits in:

No Knife - Academy Flight Song

The 90's were pretty rad.

Babar

The 90s WERE rad!

I think I was introduced to "Awesome Tapes from Africa" through Inkoddi here on the forums years ago, but found this song later. Almost everyone I share it with has a negative first reaction to it, but I think it's bangin'!  :=
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

dactylopus

Quote from: Babar on Mon 11/05/2020 16:37:33
The 90s WERE rad!

I think I was introduced to "Awesome Tapes from Africa" through Inkoddi here on the forums years ago, but found this song later. Almost everyone I share it with has a negative first reaction to it, but I think it's bangin'!  :=
I was grooving to it until the vocals kicked in.  It just didn't seem to fit the tone.  By a couple of minutes into the track, though, I was back into it.

My current track:

milkanannan

The 90s WERE rad!

Haha those harmonies at 2:09 aren't bad. Any other tracks by them you'd recommend?

milkanannan

Quote from: dactylopus on Mon 11/05/2020 21:56:28
The 90s WERE rad!

I was grooving to it until the vocals kicked in.  It just didn't seem to fit the tone.  By a couple of minutes into the track, though, I was back into it.

My current track:

Awesome chill out tune! Never heard of these guys before. And down the YouTube rabbit hole we gooooo
oo
o
oo
oo
oo
oo
ooo
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
(laugh)

Babar

Quote from: manannan on Tue 12/05/2020 15:21:54
Haha those harmonies at 2:09 aren't bad. Any other tracks by them you'd recommend?
The song I shared is by Ata Kak, you can get the "remastered" album here: https://atakak.bandcamp.com/
As for Awesome Tapes from Africa, there's a lot of stuff, but it isn't restricted to Ghana or Highlife music. Depending on what you're in the mood for, you'll probably find something to your liking.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Snarky

I really like that track, Babar. Nice!

It reminds me a little of this (for some reason the sound drops out two thirds of the way through, but you get the idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Uh4N1NIM

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 12/05/2020 18:53:28
I really like that track, Babar. Nice!

It reminds me a little of this (for some reason the sound drops out two thirds of the way through, but you get the idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro_Uh4N1NIM

Lol what is this?! To be honest this isn't half bad! I like the play on tempo and pitch, and the raw refrain is weirdly catchy. (I hope I'm not be rick-rolled by some polished group trying to sound indie, but it's actually a pretty catchy track in its own way.)

Snarky

That's Martine & Mirejam, an Oslo-based discopunk duo that were locally popular around the turn of the millennium. They put out one EP/single (what do you call a disc with three tracks?) and played a really fun set at the Øya Festival 2000 (among others, but that's where I heard them), before splitting up. The disc is on Tidal.

Edit: Turns out Mirejam Shala has continued recording in various other projects, including as part of Fox N' Wolf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaznGM_yjOg

dactylopus

I can hear the similarity.

Here's my current track:

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Round And Round

CaptainD

Listening to Duran Duran at the moment, I like most of their songs but two stand out to me.

Ordinary World is just about perfect in every way - the music, lyrics, vocals are all absolutely superb, and the section from 2:38-3:04 gives me goosebumps.  It manages to be hauntingly painful whilst determinedly optimistic at the same time.

I just don't have any words for Come Undone that would come close to doing it justice.

dactylopus

Easily the 2 best Duran Duran tracks.  I like their other stuff, but the mood in these is so much better than Girls On Film, The Reflex, etc.

I'm currently listening to:

Phoebe Bridgers - Kyoto

I just finished listening to this great track:

Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer

Snarky

After watching Broken Flowers, I got really into Ethiopian jazz through the Éthiopiques series. One of my favorites (who I suppose is more funk than jazz?) is Alemayehu Eshete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EaQCutlyMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhnhoywVOk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk