What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

milkanannan

Love this thread. (laugh) Great tracks guys, but I got to take issue with:

Quote from: dactylopus on Thu 14/05/2020 04:53:11
Easily the 2 best Duran Duran tracks.

...  :-D best aside from:

I hadn't heard of Phoebe Bridgers before. Wow she sounds like a talent well beyond her years.

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 16/05/2020 17:25:30
After watching Broken Flowers, I got really into Ethiopian jazz through the Éthiopiques series.

I love that movie! I think I love Ehtiopian jazz now, too. I had no idea that was even a thing. :)

TheFrighter

Another track from the great voice of Labyrinth:

I'd like to ask: what hard rock singers (male or female) have a really notable voice in your opinion?

_

dactylopus

Quote from: milkanannan on Sun 17/05/2020 16:14:37
Love this thread. (laugh) Great tracks guys, but I got to take issue with:

Quote from: dactylopus on Thu 14/05/2020 04:53:11
Easily the 2 best Duran Duran tracks.

...  :-D best aside from:

(Hungry Like The Wolf)

Well, Hungry Like The Wolf is a fantastic pop song.  So are Rio and Notorious, but Come Undone and Ordinary World are just great, well written songs that break free of the new wave / new romantic / pop conventions.  Even a sub-par pop-punk band does a nice cover of this one:

Fenix TX - Ordinary World

That Duran Duran stuff makes me think of another great band of the era, Tears for Fears.  Most people love Everybody Wants to Rule the World or Shout.  I have an affinity for Sowing the Seeds of Love and it's Beatles-esque vibes, but this one takes the cake for me, and it has such a fantastic video:

Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHiG-43Fzg

Talk about distinctive voices.  This may not be hard rock, but the voice is awesome.

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sun 17/05/2020 18:47:39
I'd like to ask: what hard rock singers (male or female) have a really notable voice in your opinion?

As for distinctive hard rock vocals, I've always loved Eddie Vedder.  There's also other popular bands like System of a Down (Serj Tankian) and Tool / A Perfect Circle (Maynard James Keenan) that have very talented and distinctive vocalists.

Canadians might agree that Our Lady Peace (Raine Maida) and the Tea Party (Jeff Martin) have distinct vocalists.  Something tells me this is more like what you're looking for:

The Tea Party - Temptation

And because you posted Labyrinth, I'll have to post 2 tracks that brought to mind:

David Bowie - Underground

(Not Magic Dance!)

LSD - Genius

Super sweet animated video.

OK, I have to stop now.

milkanannan

dactylopus

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 21/05/2020 16:24:44
Bono and Edge are indeed talented:
Yeah, that was damn good.  I like the organ coming in at the end.  He couldn't resist joining the fray.

Here's my current track:

Portishead - The Rip

Snarky

Great track, dactypolus. Man, why haven't Portishead done another album since P3 (which is apparently called "Third"?)?

https://youtu.be/FEQQjYorDnQ

I've been playing Lara Croft Go here and there, and the "Maze of Spirits" soundscape made me think of Howard Shore's brilliant, brittle, crystalline soundtrack for Crash (though it's basically just two tracks repeated over and over in different arrangements).

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 28/05/2020 08:38:17
Great track, dactypolus. Man, why haven't Portishead done another album since P3 (which is apparently called "Third"?)?

I've been playing Lara Croft Go here and there, and the "Maze of Spirits" soundscape made me think of Howard Shore's brilliant, brittle, crystalline soundtrack for Crash (though it's basically just two tracks repeated over and over in different arrangements).
Your link didn't work for me.  Is it the same as this one?

It's unsettling and creepy, but has a very cool, moody atmosphere.

Yeah, I would love Portishead to release another album.  The gap between the self-titled album and Third was 11 years.  It's been 12 since then, so maybe they'll come out with something soon?

Current track:

Radiohead - Down is the New Up

milkanannan

I've had the happy Fez opening track in my head all *@&#ing day. Not complaining, but is just a release to actually hear it.

Favourite game soundtracks? Let's hear them! ....

dactylopus

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 29/05/2020 18:17:03
I've had the happy Fez opening track in my head all *@&#ing day. Not complaining, but is just a release to actually hear it.

Favourite game soundtracks? Let's hear them! ....
That's a quality soundtrack.  Disasterpeace is very good.  He also did the excellent Hyper Light Drifter soundtrack, and the music for the movie It Follows (among others).

Disasterpeace - Title (It Follows)

Don't forget about this thread for video game music...

Here's what I'm listening to now:

Khruangbin - Maria También

I've been on a bit of a Khruangbin kick lately.

Snarky

(Yeah, that's the same Howard Shore track, dactylopus)

Janelle Monáe with a cheerful little pick-me-up that seems appropriate for the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgSpeV-bklk

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 01/06/2020 13:28:04
(Yeah, that's the same Howard Shore track, dactylopus)

Janelle Monáe with a cheerful little pick-me-up that seems appropriate for the moment:
Nice.

Janelle Monáe always has some interesting upbeat sounds.  I like Dance Apocalyptic (which I heard in the game Just Dance while getting in some cardio) and Pynk (with Grimes).  That one you posted is fitting now, though.

My current listen:

Clinic - Harmony

Blondbraid

I came across this while doing research on Dimetrodons, and now I can't get it out of my head:

Snarky

CaptainD

Currently listening to the Wish You Were Here album by Pink Floyd for the second time today... so many great tracks, currently listening to "Welcome to the Machine".  There's something utterly compelling about those plodding harmonics interspersed with the synth breaking out and strangely muted, strained vocals.

Might have to listen to the Meddle album after I finish this one... then maybe Dark Side of the Moon... it's definitely a Pink Floyd type of day!!

dactylopus

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 18/06/2020 12:22:14
Currently listening to the Wish You Were Here album by Pink Floyd for the second time today... so many great tracks, currently listening to "Welcome to the Machine".  There's something utterly compelling about those plodding harmonics interspersed with the synth breaking out and strangely muted, strained vocals.

Might have to listen to the Meddle album after I finish this one... then maybe Dark Side of the Moon... it's definitely a Pink Floyd type of day!!
I love it!  Great album.  My favorite is Animals.  I may have to go listen to one of those now...

I've been listening to Sade.  Top of the list are Smooth Operator, By Your Side, and this one:

Sade - No Ordinary Love

If you are a fan, you may enjoy the cover by the Deftones:

Snarky

Laura Hunt

Aw I love Warpaint! But not this track, lol. I liked their first couple of albums a lot better, when they were more guitar/bass/drums-centered and they hadn't introduced so many electronic elements in their music:

A couple of friends have told me I look like Theresa (the guitar player) in that last video. Must be the fringe and the black circles under my eyes from not sleeping, because I can't see the resemblance otherwise, hahah.

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 25/06/2020 10:32:21
YouTube shuffle just now introduced me to this track:
I heard this one a couple of months ago (actually 2 different tracks) and quite liked it.  Didn't really look much further into the band at the time, though.

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 25/06/2020 11:06:11
Aw I love Warpaint! But not this track, lol. I liked their first couple of albums a lot better, when they were more guitar/bass/drums-centered and they hadn't introduced so many electronic elements in their music:

A couple of friends have told me I look like Theresa (the guitar player) in that last video. Must be the fringe and the black circles under my eyes from not sleeping, because I can't see the resemblance otherwise, hahah.
These tracks are great, and made me look into the band a bit more.  Listened to a few good tracks already.  Thanks for posting!

While listening, I found that they did a really nice cover of a great Duran Duran song.  I'm now listening to another fantastic cover of the same song by a different band:

Deftones - The Chauffeur

Snarky

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 27/06/2020 09:27:50
Thanks for those, Laura!
Indeed.  I've listened to Elephants quite a few times already.  Probably my favorite of their tracks.

Now:

Phantogram - When I'm Small

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk