What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 27/06/2020 18:49:07
Quote from: Snarky on Sat 27/06/2020 09:27:50
Thanks for those, Laura!
Indeed.  I've listened to Elephants quite a few times already.  Probably my favorite of their tracks.

Happy to hear!

Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 27/06/2020 18:49:07
Now:
Phantogram - When I'm Small

Nice! I've been working on my Super Sad Piano Piece all afternoon, and this has been a great palate cleanser. I'm with Cat Power now:

Snarky

Very nice and soulful, that. I like it.

Only 90s kids will remember... this extremely cheesy cover of a song that was pretty cheesy to begin with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3zGDLeSfE

dactylopus

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 27/06/2020 19:16:07
Nice! I've been working on my Super Sad Piano Piece all afternoon, and this has been a great palate cleanser. I'm with Cat Power now:
Love it.  Here's a Cat Power song I heard recently that I enjoyed:

Cat Power - He War

Dave Grohl plays the drums on that one, but it's not a stand-out drum track.  I love the guitar in this.

Here's what I'm listening to now:

Elliott - Intro

Now this song has some fantastic drumming.

milkanannan

Nice tracks, guys~

Had this on in the background yesterday (cheers, @Kyriakos). Mainly reverb-y guitar. It's a game score, so it can be a bit repetitive, but some tracks remind me of Twin Peaks type music:

dactylopus

Quote from: milkanannan on Wed 01/07/2020 05:03:43
Nice tracks, guys~

Had this on in the background yesterday (cheers, @Kyriakos). Mainly reverb-y guitar. It's a game score, so it can be a bit repetitive, but some tracks remind me of Twin Peaks type music:

That's a nice groove.

I'm listening to Slowreader's album.  It's really good stuff.

Slowreader - Sweetest Suffering

Snarky

Nice, all of this has given me something to listen to.

"Crown Imperial Song" is pretty well known in Norway, but maybe not elsewhere? (YouTube also has a music video of it, but with poorer sound quality.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wPhBQ823U8

milkanannan

I hadn't heard of Weld, but that is a cool track. Sounds very 90's to me. The singer has a unique voice for sure.

milkanannan

Dact, I'm getting an 'unavailable' message when I try to play your track. Weird - maybe it has been removed?

milkanannan

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 29/06/2020 20:39:53
Very nice and soulful, that. I like it.

Only 90s kids will remember... this extremely cheesy cover of a song that was pretty cheesy to begin with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3zGDLeSfE

I've actually never heard this before, but there's no mistaking the quick back and forth zoom in and out - nothing more 90's than that. (laugh) Argh this track is almost annoyingly catchy! Going to have it in my head all day now haha.

Snarky

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 06/07/2020 06:42:35
"Crown Imperial Song" is pretty well known in Norway, but maybe not elsewhere? (YouTube also has a music video of it, but with poorer sound quality.)
Not bad.  It has a kind of late 60's early 70's hippie flower child vibe in my mind.  Something like "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by The Byrds, "Somebody to Love" by Jefferson Airplane, or "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & the Papas, but definitely a bit more modern.  Fits with the 90's, there was a lot of music in that era that hearkened back to the 60's and 70's.

Quote from: TheFrighter on Mon 06/07/2020 18:13:28
When Ennio Morricone goes rock.
Great track.

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 06/07/2020 19:22:59
RIP
Indeed.

Ennio Morricone - Here's to You (feat. Joan Baez)

Quote from: milkanannan on Mon 06/07/2020 06:50:10
Dact, I'm getting an 'unavailable' message when I try to play your track. Weird - maybe it has been removed?
Maybe it's region locked or something.  Try this one:

milkanannan

^Hmmm, that one is also unavailable. Very strange.

That first track you shared is great. Very Carpenters sounding (which is great in my books).

My son and I gave Cuphead a try today for the first time, so I have had the soundtrack in my head the past few hours. They actually do mid-century music really well. Feels like I'm five years old in my grandma's living room again! (laugh)

milkanannan

I think this is it. I can access this one:

lorenzo

Quote from: dactylopus on Mon 06/07/2020 21:03:07
Ennio Morricone - Here's to You (feat. Joan Baez)
That was from a great film by Montaldo, Sacco & Vanzetti, with a fantastic performance by Gian Maria Volonté. Also, great score by Ennio Morricone and Joan Baez.

dactylopus

Quote from: milkanannan on Thu 09/07/2020 15:00:28
I think this is it. I can access this one:

That's the correct song and artist, but that's an awful recording.  So much crowd noise, you can barely hear the song.  Maybe you can check it on Spotify.  Too bad there aren't more YouTube links available for it.  It's a great album, I'd recommend tracking it down and listening to the whole thing.  Like Elliott Smith with a drum machine.  Both guys were in The Impossibles and The Stereo before this:

The Impossibles - Eightball

The barbershop intro of Cuphead reminds me of Moxy Früvous (as all well harmonized vocals seem to do):

Moxy Früvous - King of Spain

Not the best song on the album (my favorite might be Laika), and not the best example of their vocal harmonies (which might be Fell in Love), but it's a great example of their quirkiness.  Bargainville is a fantastic album.  Anyone else love this band?

The rest of Cuphead is very big band / swingy.  Fitting for the visual style of the game.  Not really my thing, so admittedly I only skimmed through it, but it's definitely well written and performed.

Current jam:

Girlpool - Like I'm Winning It

Snarky

Gotta catch up with some of the recent picks in this thread.

This is a track and an album I keep coming back to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyLCCJho5hk

That speech at the end is of course adapted from the famous rant in Network, written by Paddy Chayefsky. I've never been able to make up my mind whether Badu is appropriating the sentiment ("I'm a human being, damn it! My life has value!" seems to prefigure BLM) or holding it up as a dangerous example of white rage and hysteria.

Fun fact: the contemporary sense of "woke" comes from the next track off this album, "Master Teacher."

dactylopus

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 17/07/2020 22:44:32
Gotta catch up with some of the recent picks in this thread.

This is a track and an album I keep coming back to:

That speech at the end is of course adapted from the famous rant in Network, written by Paddy Chayefsky. I've never been able to make up my mind whether Badu is appropriating the sentiment ("I'm a human being, damn it! My life has value!" seems to prefigure BLM) or holding it up as a dangerous example of white rage and hysteria.

Fun fact: the contemporary sense of "woke" comes from the next track off this album, "Master Teacher."
Yes, that's a fantastic track.  I was only listening casually and found so much poignancy in her words.  I've loved Erykah Badu since hearing her on the Roots' Things Fall Apart album (You Got Me) and OutKast's Stankonia:

OutKast - Humble Mumble

"You can't discrimi-hate cause you done read a book or two" is one of my favorite lyrics of all time.

Listening to this track now, I absolutely love it:

Tripping Daisy - Waited A Light Year

milkanannan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk