Can't install .net or the installer

Started by pseudo3d, Sun 07/07/2013 17:29:01

Previous topic - Next topic

pseudo3d

I want to create a great adventure game I've been planning for over a year, but I can't install the application, demanding I use .NET framework. The links from AGS and the installer are broken, so I found 3.x on Microsoft (pre-release version) but the setup won't work for whatever reason. Please help! I want to make something awesome!

Crimson Wizard

IIRC you need 2.0 framework, which is not included with 3.x, you should download it separately.
The new .NET versions do not include old ones.

EDIT: hmm, actually framework 3.5 includes 2.0. Which one did you install?

pseudo3d

This.

I wanted to go for an official Microsoft download, but I think I made a mistake. How would I backtrack and hopefully expunge files that might mess things up?

Crimson Wizard

I think you should install this (3.5 SP1)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22

Not sure if you must reinstall what you already installed, but if you want to, go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features, find "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0" and click Uninstall.

LimpingFish

If you're like me, then you may have a major problem on your hands. I can't install any .NET framework below 4.0, and after a week-long trawl across the internet, it's looking increasingly likely that the only solution is a complete re-install of Windows.

If you're running Vista, like me, .NET 3.0 and below are installed as part of the OS, and any configuration changes to them have to be made through the "Turn Windows features on or off" routine.

This in itself can be a headache, as this feature can become corrupted fairly easily.

By installing that pre-release version of 3.0, you may have already done some damage to the registry. Microsoft have a tool for uninstalling that particular version of 3.0, which you should use. If you can uninstall it without any errors, your next step should be:

Control Panel > Programs > "Turn Windows features on or off".

Wait for the list of features to appear and see if Microsoft .NET is listed. Tick/clear the box beside it to install/uninstall. Finally, restart your system and see what happens.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

pseudo3d

Good news! I was able to install it, and now game development is officially underway. I was a bit crestfallen yesterday when I realized I couldn't draw my own LucasArts-esque backgrounds, but then I remembered that I never was going to use that, and just use digitized photos (edited, of course)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk