[Cancelled] AGS 3.4.0 Early Alpha [many limits removed]

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 08/07/2013 20:25:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Knox

QuoteI think VSync for D3D would be essential for decent looking high-res. Is that a realistic possibility

If Im not mistaken the Draconian version had a lot D3D stuff fixed , vsync and character walking/scaling, right?

--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

AGD2

I'm getting this crash when I try to run 3.4.0 Alpha on Windows XP SP3:

An unexpected error occurred trying to start up the AGS Editor. Please consult the details below and post the error to the AGS Technical Forum.

AGS.Types.InvalidDataException: Native initialization failed.
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.Initialize()
   at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy..ctor()
   at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy.get_Instance()
   at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController..ctor()
   at AGS.Editor.Program.startupTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The AGS splash screen displays prior to the above error message appearing, and it remains on-screen permanently after clicking the error message away.

Billbis

Hey, my favorite Wizard (and all the other fantastic AGS developers), can you make custom text properties translatable ? They are not in AGS 3.2.0.
This topic suggests that they were not because they were not editable at run-time. But with the help of your great powers, now they are ! 8-0
If you have already done it, thanks a lot and sorry for missing that info.
:)

Night Goat

Hi,

I tried to use 3.4 Alpha but when I start the game I get the following error message:

"Unexpected error: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist."

when i close the programm afterwards I get this

"an unexpected error occured. Please post the following information on the AGS Technical Forum

System.AccessViolationException: Es wurde versucht, im geschützten Speicher zu lesen oder zu schreiben. Dies ist häufig ein Hinweis darauf, dass anderer Speicher beschädigt ist.
bei
AGS.Common.ObjectArray<AGS::Common::DialogTopicInfo>.{dtor}(objectArray<AGS::Common::DialogTopicInfo>*)
bei ?A0xf6c6a79d.??_Fdialog@@YMXXZ()
bei exit_callback()
bei
<CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport._UninitializeDefaultDomain(Void*cookie)
bei
<CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport._UninitializeDefaultDomain()
bei
<CrtImplementationDetails>.LanguageSupport.DomainUnload(Objectsource, EventArgs.arguments)
bei
<CrtImplementationDetails>.ModuleUninitializer.SingletonDomainUnload(Objectsource, EventArgs.arguments)"

I hope this helps

it would be great if someone could tell me if it is possible to get around this problem since I can't go on creating my game with the custom properties limit.

Please excuse me if what I wrote is useless or at the wrong place I'm new and I really try to get this right.

Best regards

Crimson Wizard

There was a number of errors found in the editor since I posted this 3.4.0 alpha build. These errors are fixed in 3.3.0, but not here.
I might find time to update 3.4.0 later on this week. Please, wait for several days. I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Although, I should warn once again, just in case, that 3.4.0 is not called "alpha" for nothing... I mean, it may be unstable and I may not be able to  fix it quickly.

Knox

Ok, writing this in the right thread: An idea when the newest changes to 3.3.0 beta10 can be applied to this Custom Resolution Build/3.4 Early Alpha [many limits removed]? :=

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Knox on Sat 07/12/2013 22:25:46
Ok, writing this in the right thread: An idea when the newest changes to 3.3.0 beta10 can be applied to this Custom Resolution Build/3.4 Early Alpha [many limits removed]? :=
Oh, now I got it.

This will require some effort, because these branches were separated by new features added to 3.3.0 in the past several months, and 3.4 code was somewhat different. I need to find a good amount of free time to do the merge carefully. Currently I am fixing some things in 3.3.0.

So, no, can't tell for sure when I'll do this.

Knox

Ok, thanks for sharing that info. I'll just hold off using 3.4 for now. Thanks Crimson.

Crimson Wizard

Merged 3.3.0 Beta 12 with 3.4.0 (that is 6 month difference 8-0).
Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x12ib6wi48x53vc/AGS_3_4_0_alpha2_2014jan01.7z

Please tell if that at least works.
Nah, merge was not fully succesfull, there are some bugs in there. Need to test more.

UPDATE: reuploaded with couple of fixes (dl link changed).

AGD2

Hmm, I'm still getting this when I attempt to run the editor (Win XP SP3):

QuoteAn unexpected error occurred trying to start up the AGS Editor. Please consult the details below and post the error to the AGS Technical Forum.

AGS.Types.InvalidDataException: Native initialization failed.
   at AGS.Native.NativeMethods.Initialize()
   at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy..ctor()
   at AGS.Editor.NativeProxy.get_Instance()
   at AGS.Editor.ApplicationController..ctor()
   at AGS.Editor.Program.startupTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Crimson Wizard

AGD2, I could only reproduce such error if I run the editor with some libraries missing.
The 3.4.0 archive does not include all the files needed to run the program, you need to copy it over 3.3.0 to make it work properly.

Knox

Hi Crimson,

Since merging the custom resolution build into 3.3 is too much of a change/step up, can we merge the custom resolution build with this one (3.4), or are these 2 builds still too much of a change to put together?

AGD2

After a few false starts, I deleted everything from the folder, redownloaded 3.3.0, and then downloaded and extracted the 3.4.0 archive over it. Works fine now. ;)

ner0

I don't know if this is meant to be but I thought I should mention it:
When using v3.2 and going to your savegame list, if there is a savegame that was saved using v3.4.0, it displays "Invalid slot #" and when trying to load it displays the following in-game message: Unable to load game (error: Not an AGS savegame). But when you do the opposite, using v3.4.0, to access savegames from v3.2, there is no error shown or incompatible message. Does it mean that savegames are meant to be forward-compatible backward-compatible?

Another small detail is when trying to open a non-existent savegame file, in v3.2 it displays an in-game message saying: Unable to load game (error: File not found). whereas in v3.4.0 it shows a Windows popup error with a similar message but after clicking OK it exists the game.

It is a virtually insignificant issue anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ner0 on Sat 04/01/2014 01:13:15
I don't know if this is meant to be but I thought I should mention it:
When using v3.2 and going to your savegame list, if there is a savegame that was saved using v3.4.0, it displays "Invalid slot #" and when trying to load it displays the following in-game message: Unable to load game (error: Not an AGS savegame). But when you do the opposite, using v3.4.0, to access savegames from v3.2, there is no error shown or incompatible message. Does it mean that savegames are meant to be forward-compatible?
You're perhaps confusing forward- and backward-compatibility. Forward compatibility means that older program can read data from newer program. Backward compatibility is when newer program reads data from older program.
There was a very limited forward-compatibility for savedgames in AGS, but with 3.4.0 there's completely different savedgame format, so older versions won't be able to read games saved by 3.4.0 engine anymore. On contrary, 3.4.0 will be able to read saves from 3.2.1-3.3.0.

Quote from: ner0 on Sat 04/01/2014 01:13:15
Another small detail is when trying to open a non-existent savegame file, in v3.2 it displays an in-game message saying: Unable to load game (error: File not found). whereas in v3.4.0 it shows a Windows popup error with a similar message but after clicking OK it exists the game.
Yes, it might do that, but that's temporary. We need to find a way (probably customizable) to handle errors like this without quitting.

ner0

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 04/01/2014 02:06:04
You're perhaps confusing forward- and backward-compatibility. Forward compatibility means that older program can read data from newer program. Backward compatibility is when newer program reads data from older program.
Yes, I did confuse. I actually edited the post to correct what was already correct, my mistake. So yeah, I meant to ask if it was backward compatible, which you clarified that it is.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 04/01/2014 02:06:04
Yes, it might do that, but that's temporary. We need to find a way (probably customizable) to handle errors like this without quitting.
Ok, thanks for clarifying that. :)

jamesreg

I downloaded this and tried it but when I tried to add more then 5 backgrounds (Says it is now unlimited) it only allowed me to add 5.
Also when creating rooms (says save state room limit is 999 now) It says in the menu only 300 are save state able still.
Did I do something wrong is there a more current version or special version with most the limits removed other then this one?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: jamesreg on Tue 15/12/2015 03:06:41
I downloaded this and tried it but when I tried to add more then 5 backgrounds (Says it is now unlimited) it only allowed me to add 5.
Also when creating rooms (says save state room limit is 999 now) It says in the menu only 300 are save state able still.
Did I do something wrong is there a more current version or special version with most the limits removed other then this one?

jamesreq, this forum thread mentions very old experimental version. I do not recommend to use it, because it is not stable, poorly tested, and no longer developed nor supported.

Instead I suggest to look into actual AGS 3.4.0 which is being developed now:
Announcement thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52499.0
Discussion thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51050.0

The limit removal from this old experiment will be re-implemented in later versions.

I am going to lock this topic now, because this is what I should have done long ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk