The Rebirth/The Reaper

Started by Grundislav, Mon 15/07/2013 17:35:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Originally made for the One Room One Week Competition, these are two mini vignettes which serve as a teaser for...something else.

The Rebirth by Grundislav

A government official and his assistant experience an unusual day at the office.

The Reaper by Ben304

A mechanic and his friend do some bird-watching.

Play them! Enjoy them! Wonder what it is we're up to!

DOWNLOAD HERE

wisnoskij

"The Reaper by Ben304"

That does not ring any bells. Is this pretty much a first announcement for this game?

Looks great!

ThreeOhFour

Mash

Sorry for doublepost.

Mash

Sadly I didn't finish all games so I did'nt vote. Luckily however, these two were among the first to be played.

The Rebirth:
Spoiler
I like the art style on the characters a lot. The story was... well I certainly did not see that coming. The athmosphere and suspension was great, and mind I say that although the theme doesn't usually go well with me. I especially liked the choices in dialogue fleshing out the character more.
[close]

Spoiler
The Reaper: Got to say: For one room this is one stunning background. This thing can easily take your playtime just by staring at the details. It just occured to me that there was something wrong with the main character's stance. He seems to be a little to tall and stiff, but that's maybe just me. There's also a lot of suspense in here. There were lot of really beautiful little details, but I found the puzzles a bit streched.
[close]

I salute you for two very beautiful small games. Whatever it is you are up to now: You certainly got me ;)

qptain Nemo

Pfff, who cares, neither of these games has WON, has it?

:=

A sci-fi-ish/post apoc drama-ish game? With possible mystical elements? By Ben AND Grundislav? Hell yes! DO WANT as they say. So, when is the Steam release? I want my achievements and trading cards and everything.

Eric

Spoiler
Placement of stains on the Lady painting in Reaper: coincidental?
[close]

ThreeOhFour

Spoiler
If you investigate both paintings, you'll find that one is the original, and the other is just a print. It's coincidental.
[close]

Mati256

The "To be continued..." in The Rebirth got me hoping you two would came with something bigger.
Both of them are great games. When I saw the effect of the glass jars in the character of the reaper my jaw hit the ground, so many details for such a small game.
My Blog! (En Español)

Eric

Spoiler
I did catch that, but didn't know whether I had a trustworthy narrator!
[close]

Duztie

Great games guys. I'm excited to see where the plot is going.
Spoiler
I cant' help to get a Lovecraftian feel when i play. Perhaps it's the color green in both games and the blue octupus logo in the Rebirth
[close]

dactylopus

I noticed that the image Ben posted in the "Release Something" thread contained similar art:

[imgzoom]http://i41.tinypic.com/ineupz.png[/imgzoom]
Am I correct in assuming that this image may be part of the project?

This is really exciting, guys.  I really enjoyed both of these games, and I'm eager to see what else you have in store.

ThreeOhFour

What on earth gave you that idea? ???

:=

dactylopus

I swear it wasn't the broken green glass everywhere!

:P

Grundislav

What a ridiculous notion. Honestly!  (roll)

Tabata

Absolutely unthinkable!  :shocked:
(a pixel-avatar would rather dance a cool twist than something like this to happen)

The Fool

Loved them, great idea with the double project. Look forward for more!
:)

Lewis

Ben, how on Earth did you get the character refracting through the glass? (There's probably a really obvious answer to this but I've just woken up.)
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

ThreeOhFour

DrawingSurfaces, a little bit of codey wodey jiggery pokery, and an idea I had while hanging my laundry out to dry one day.  :cheesy:

AndyfromVA

Rebirth was cool and I like the Reaper so far but I'm stuck.  Help would be appreciated.

Spoiler
I need to fix the hole in the pipe.  I tried using the oily rag and the message was something about the rag not working on the clamp.  So obviously I need to find a clamp somewhere but I have no idea where it could be.  It's not in the car, the rubble, the dead tree, the power control, the corpse, the rubble, the picture or the pump.  I have nowhere else to look!
[close]

Never mind!!

CosmoQueen

"Something else"?? As in, you're gonna collab on a game?!! OMG I'm all kinds of happy about this!! :D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Andail

Good stuff!
I'm genuinely interested to play the rest!

I particularly like the writing. I think both games have some serious literary qualities. I'm thrilled!

Grundi's art is steadily improving, and it's fun to see some examples of great animation (even though other actions lack animations altogether). Ben's background art is great as always.

The Reaper has a great atmosphere and cool scenery, however I'm not too fond of the puzzles so far. Especially the walking back and forth to the power switch just felt like a way to increase the game length.

Both games have puzzles which are mainly about finding various items scattered across the screen to use on something electronic until it works, sort of. I frankly don't know how many games I've played now where you're supposed to open a panel and mend/replace a fuse or some kind of circuit until electricity happens.
No offense, just wanted to find something that wasn't totally awesome!

Looking forward to see whatever comes out of this cooperation!

Grundislav

Thanks Andail, glad you enjoyed them.

I noticed the similarity in puzzles myself, which I can assure you was purely coincidental, as we conferred about pretty much everything except puzzles.  Blame it on the limited amount of time.  I can assure you that what we've brainstormed so far for the main project does not include any sort of item hunt/electronic repair. :)

Fitz

I agree with Andail, the puzzles seemed a little too generic, and I had a hard time picking up some items (the fuse and bottle opener), had to click a bunch of times before he stopped giving me the the "no can do" response. BUT to me both games were so much more about the ATMOSPHERE.

The Reaper: Ben's artworks get more and more mind-blowingly gorgeous with each project, and this one, with all the lime-greens and shattered class/crystals (including the game menu and the cursor), might be his finest to date. The main character seems like a departure from Ben's usual -- the quirky hot babe ;) True, there were some similarly dark overtones in PISS, but the girl was wahaaaay too hot for a war veteran ;) Oh well, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief if I like the feel of the story :) The bottom line is, I'd definitely love more of this.

The Rebirth: I'm usually not a fan of serious stories or contemporary settings -- but I really enjoyed the main character's evolution/devolution. He started off as a strong, composed, no-nonsense type with a deep sense of responsibility -- yet in the face of a tragedy it took very little to make him SNAP. I really liked that particular puzzle, it was perhaps the most intuitive thing to do, I didn't even hesitate there.

Layabout

I really liked the refraction technique used when walking past the glass bottle things in the Reaper. I loved the story, but I already know a few things (BOGAN SECRETS).

I'm still up for voicing you know who ;)
I am Jean-Pierre.

selmiak

Cool stuff!

*wonders what it is you're up to*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk