Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Sound

Started by miguel, Sat 27/07/2013 14:18:55

Previous topic - Next topic

miguel

Hi Fitz, as you well know, Aliens come in different sizes, appearance and humour. The only thing we can be sure is that: They're Here!.
Thanks for the praises and for playing,

Spoiler
Search the vase with the plant...closely...you may find something that will help you getting the key under the bed.
[close]
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Fitz

Ah, quite a pixel hunting puzzle there. There have been some tricky hotspots indeed. Also, having Chet as a clickable character often obscures other clickable hotspots/people.

Anyway, I've played some more and I like how it develops, Chet's suave attitude seems to be an actual asset rather than just a gimmick. The action sequences came a bit unexpected -- but they're not at all out of place in a game like that. I've actually watched The Adventures of Tintin the other day and it's a similar experience. Also, the art style and the gloomy music often made me think of Barely Floating.

EDIT: Finished :)

arj0n

Fitz, the solution is in the very same room, look closer :)

EDIT: ah, you finished it right before my post :)

Adeel

Downloading your game at the moment. Thought I should let you know. :)

Adeel

First of all, I apologize for the double post.

Just completed your game, miguel. Here's my opinion:

The way the game is started and the credits are introduced is extremely professional! Graphics are fantastic and contain a touch of professionalism. The background art is simply fabulous. Especially the cinema-stripped cutscenes add an extra value to the game (inspired by Barely Floating, eh? ;)).

All characters are well thought of. They perform their roles efficiently. Especially, you can't forget Chet too soon. He's just like Larry gifted with extra luck, handsomeness and successfulness with ladies :D.

The story seems interesting. The music is great too.  The interface is excellent. I like the idea of keeping a journal to keep track of the story. I appreciate your auto-save feature. The puzzles were not too hard for me but all of them made sense. This was in fact a plus point for me, since I mostly require walkthroughs of many adventure games. I liked the way you curiously introduced your fellow agsers. Find some place for my reference in your next episode, will you :P? .

My two all-time favourite puzzles were:

Spoiler
When you have to fake your appearance. Took me some time to understand it, but after that managed to solve it quite easily.
[close]

Spoiler
When Chet uses the Bible to break the lock (I knew that was coming when I had first investigated the drawers before investigating the lock :D). Plus, this reduces your supposed image of stubborn religious man. (If people remember the religious discussion that took place sometime ago.
[close]

To put it short and simple: Great Work by Miguel and his team. Congratulations to all of you!

However, there are two complains and two advices for you regarding your game:

Complains:

1-
Spoiler
Glitch: I came across this glitch in the hotel's lobby when I had managed to fool the goons. When Chet stood up, the lady and the table between the sofas were drawn above Chet while the sofa in which lady was sitting was drawn behind the Chet. I re-walked him to the said place (after Chet had stood up and was free to move anywhere) and the result was same. Btw, I used Direct 3D 9 in the winsetup.
[close]

2- Not really a complain. Maybe another compliment for you :)? Anyways, the game was too short. While I understand that the game is meant to be episodic series, I was sad to see it end just at the peak of suspense. Either make this episode longer or release another one ASAP.

Advices:

1- While the interface is excellent. I were missing the shortcut keys for Dialog Boxes and Verb Actions . You should definitely add them, especially the Save and Restore Dialog.

2- You should take some time to compose .pdf or .txt file. Explaining the controls, spoiler-free introduction and credits isn't really necessary but will add the professional look to your already professional-looking game

miguel

Adeel, thanks so much for playing Ancient Aliens. I'm really glad you enjoyed it and had fun with it.
We did take a lot of time on writing the script. Chet and Vivian relationship is the key here but they were completely strangers at the start of the game, and the temptation to jump states was big although I think we managed to do it at a slow, steady pace.

The puzzles took me a lot of work as well and I'm proud it did. I believe I made it so that they are part of the gameplay and not something you have to do it because there's no other way to progress the story.

As for the references to "Barely Floating", you're not the first person to say that but I assure you that it wasn't my intention. I played that game after. But being put along such a great game is very rewarding. So thanks.

About the walk-behind glitches, that's due to the Direct3D you used. Please stick to DirectDraw.
I know, I've read Dave Gilbert post and he was kind enough to send it to me a few months ago. The next instalment will have most of his recommendations.

.pdf or .txt sounds good. Will work on it.

Adeel, you were very kind and I hope to produce a better chapter soon!

Limony

I just started this game right away it got confusing:
Spoiler
I ended up in the apartment and he started raving about some key that I never heard of. I figured I missed something, so I started over and found the drawer in the backstage room. Suggestion: make it impossible to leave the backstage room until having looked at the locked drawer.
[close]

Another suggestion: make the scrollwheel switch tool like in the Ben Jordan games. Essentially the scrollwheel just acts as an extra right button.

miguel

Thanks for the suggestions Limony and thanks for playing the game!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 13/08/2013 03:18:55
1-
Spoiler
Glitch: I came across this glitch in the hotel's lobby when I had managed to fool the goons. When Chet stood up, the lady and the table between the sofas were drawn above Chet while the sofa in which lady was sitting was drawn behind the Chet. I re-walked him to the said place (after Chet had stood up and was free to move anywhere) and the result was same. Btw, I used Direct 3D 9 in the winsetup.
[close]

I don't know how the scene was created, but I think that may be related to the IgnoreWalkbehinds property. D3D9 mode cannot handle them properly.
If that's the case, I may suggest authors to review how they make the scene, and abstain from using IgnoreWalkbehinds at all, and use combination of Baselines instead (related discussion: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48907.msg636468585#msg636468585).
I think this screenshot made by Andail is from "Ancient Aliens" as well?
http://www.esseb.com/andail/weirdness.png
I believe it is exactly the case of "ignore walkbehind" property.

On other hand, if no objects or characters had "IgnoreWalkbehinds", that might be "same baseline" ordering error, which cannot be easily fixed by developer at the moment... (unless fixed in the engine at some point).

miguel

Okay Crimson, thanks. I've been following all the threads concerning the D3D9 walkbehinds waiting for a solution. Yes, the link you posted is from Ancient Aliens as well.

Adeel

Quote from: miguel on Tue 13/08/2013 11:44:36
[...] Adeel, you were very kind and I hope to produce a better chapter soon!

Thanks. The least I can do for a free and excellent game. Looking forward for the next chapter. :)

Limony

I'm enjoying the game so far. :)

There is a spelling error at the start of the lobby scene. Chet says "pass" when he should say "past". And when I look at the sofa I don't understand the description. Maybe the question mark should be replaced with the word "of".

A glich:
Spoiler
Lobby: When using the newspaper on Chet, the trumpet switches place in the inventory.
[close]

miguel

Atelier

miguel

Bulbapuck

Decided to try this with my morning coffee, and that was a great decition. I enjoyed this, the entire hotel sequence was really sweet.
Well done! Looking forward to the next part. :)

miguel

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Bulbapuck on Wed 09/10/2013 13:28:30
Decided to try this with my morning coffee, and that was a great decition. I enjoyed this, the entire hotel sequence was really sweet.
Well done! Looking forward to the next part. :)

What coffee brand was that? I might want to repeat this culinary experiment.

miguel

bicilotti

I just found the book

Spoiler
101 Laws that You Don't Know and Can Get You in Trouble, by P.A. Bicilotti
[close]

and I am

Spoiler
giggling much!
[close]

Still playing it, good job guys!

*** edit ***

Finished! Enjoyed every bit of it, from the really pretty art (Character art and backgrounds really go well together, good job) to the cheesy lines! I hope to see new chapters soon!
It would be awesome if you could implement keyboard shortcuts for changing cursors, as it stands it's a pain to play the game on a laptop (touchpad).
Again clap clap!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk