MAGS August: "Heat" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Tue 30/07/2013 11:40:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Heat'

This month's guidelines were set by Myinah and Soxbrooker:

The theme for this month's MAGS is heat. It has been scorching this summer and what better way to avoid sunburn than sitting inside and participating in MAGS.

The heat we are referring to is temperature, but other definitions are allowed for the sake of creativity. However, the definition you pick must become central to the plot of your entry. Not an insignificant hotspot or dialogue quip. You can use multiple definitions of the word in one game, but please ensure at least one is clearly central to the plot.

There are no genre restrictions. Get creative and enjoy!

Ending 31st August

__________________________________________________________________________________________

This month's winner was Summer Woes by Adeel S. Ahmed and Oldschool_Wolf.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Adeel

I were born on 1st of August, 1996, Thursday. After a long interval of sixteen years" this year, the 1st of August is going to fall on Thursday again.

To make it more remarkable to me, I am going to participate in August MAGS. Yes, my very first MAGS. Therefore, count me in for this one.

Theme suits me too. Some ideas are already gathering in my mind.  :=

Alaskaban

I am putting my game on hold to participate. I feel like the deadline will urge me to finish.

Alaskaban

I have started creation of my game, here is the first background.

And here is the character, Frank, the survivor of a plane crash.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.
Thankyou, Alaskaban

gameboy

A MAGS game would be a fun break from working on other projects. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to finish it, but I started brainstorming a couple of ideas and bam! suddenly I had finished a background and some character art.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/ls6pzzv.png[/imgzoom]

Adeel

Good news regarding my MAGS game:

My friend "Oldschool_Wolf" has decided to offer his help :). I were going to start recruiting after sometime but he offered long before my request. So, first of all: Thank you "Oldschool_Wolf". I owe you for this one. :)

I'm going to keep the identity of my characters, secret for now.

gameboy, you have started out nicely. Great art as always. Especially, you deserve salute for completing this much in such a short span of time. Guessing from your background, maybe your's and mine game-story is going to clash / resemble somewhere :D. I can't wait to see your sprites in action.

Alaskaban, guessing from the background. I think your game will take place in a desert or town close to desert. Can't wait to see the game finished. Good base for a nice story. Especially, I like your character: Frank. Also, I must say: you're a great fan of survivals. If you don't mind my asking: are you a fan of Bear Grylls?

Good luck to you and everyone else (present or future) participating in this MAGS :).

PROGRESS LOG:

Front View Sprite of Main Character is ready, along with his front talking animation.
Another's Character Front View is near completion - E: Completed it!

frenzykitty

ZapZap

Wow you guys are fast. I might participate too
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Alaskaban

Adeel: I am a big fan of Bear Grylls. I also think that survival is a good base for a game.

Retro Wolf

@gameboy: Your art is wondeful!
@Alaskaban: That guy could do with a Cola!

This is not only my first MAGS, but also my first project collaboration! I am quite excited about the project and have been enjoying working with Adeel.

I've recently completed a full custom sprite sheet for the main character, Adeel is very pleased with the results.

EDIT: By the way Adeel... where did you get that new avatar?  :)

Alaskaban

I finished my game, I know it didn't take very long but it is Good
Title: Survival

You can get it here
Thankyou, Alaskaban
I think I might just restart a different game. The game is so short because I didn't know where the story was going.

Dropped Monocle Games

Alaskaban your game is very short and you know you have a whole month to add more to it and maybe a bit of polish?

Adeel

@Alaskaban: I don't know about your engagements. I agree with Sox that you should increase the time length of your game. You have a whole month.

@cleanic: Please do participate.

Oldschool_Wolf: Thank you friend. It's because of your help and support that we are progressing greatly. I'm pleased that you're enjoying working with me.

My new avatar? Someone by the name of David Hasselhoff PMed it to me and I liked it so I set it ;) :D.

PROGRESS LOG:

Team AdeelWolf is getting along very nicely. The sprite for our main character has been finalized. Our main character's animations are also completed. Second character's sprite is also finalized and work is being done on second character's animation. First background is also completed and will soon be finalized. The rough draft story and puzzles is also completed and will be finalized / polished within few days.

A big thanks to Oldschool_Wolf for helping me out. He's doing a lot of work. So much in fact; that sometimes I forget that it was I who started this project.

Oldschool_Wolf, my friend, to put it simple: I'm lucky to have you as my partner. :)

I'm sure that there'll be some surprises for the player in our game. :)

Retro Wolf

Thank you for the kind words Adeel, it is still very much your project, and besides, you are the one that is going to have to script it all (story script and AGS script). That is the most important role in my opinion.

Adeel

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Sun 04/08/2013 13:16:31
Thank you for the kind words Adeel, it is still very much your project, [...]

No. From the day you joined me: it was, is and will be OUR PROJECT. Not mine, not your's. OUR PROJECT :)

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Sun 04/08/2013 13:16:31
[...] and besides, you are the one that is going to have to script it all (story script and AGS script). That is the most important role in my opinion.

You're just being modest. Each and every role is important, especially that of graphic designer. Besides, you're helping me with story too. Even though I've decided to code the game all by myself but depending on the time frame and / or my engagements, I may ask you yo script certain rooms for me.

Alaskaban

It's still early in the month. So I decided to restart my game. Is there anyone who wants to help with animations and puzzles.

Radiant

I have been wondering about the MAGS website. I'm curious what other people think of this: currently, the games lists on the site have screenshots of 80 x 50 pixels, and the buttons are 9 x 9 pixels. Given the screen resolution that people have these days, I think the site would look better if these were bigger; I think there should be enough room to show a 320 x 200 screenshot, and the buttons would be more accessible if they were three or four times bigger. Is this perhaps something that could be improved?

selmiak

sure thing, do it. These small icons are really small!

also the blue font in the header png is unreadable on the blue background.

Atelier

gameboy, great art as always!

Glad to hear the AdeelWolf partnership is going so well, and you're using more of the time Alaskaban :)

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 04/08/2013 18:57:19
I have been wondering about the MAGS website.

Peder is working on merging the MAGS site with AGS Archives, so I assume that when it's live the MAGS entries will share the same preview layouts etc as those currently on AGSA. In the meantime of course, I'm not actually sure who has access to the site's files - I know CJ did, so I guess the privileges have been extended since then. If more people think it's worth it, I'll look into it.

Alaskaban

Actually, I think you can count me out of the mags. I think I should establish a good first game before i do anything else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk