Illustration Workshop - Deadline Monday 19th for concept sketches!!!

Started by Andail, Sat 03/08/2013 13:41:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Latest update:
Keep posting concepts/sketches until Monday 19th. Everyone who's published something by then will be transferred to the second round, which will get a separate thread with more instructions.

ILLUSTRATION WORKSHOP - BOX ART EDITION

Alright, summer's not quite over, so before we're forced back to jobs and schools and shit, let's have another round of Illustration Workshop.

This time, we're going to make box art, as in, the type of paintings meant to trick kids into buying games that they wouldn't buy if the box just showed an actual in-game screenshot. I remember buying Bad Blood solely for its amazing cover art, and while the game wasn't exactly lousy, the graphics inside were... different. During the 80s and 90s, painting cover art for games was probably the most advanced form of fraud still legal. Nowadays, the discrepancy is far less flagrant, which makes me a bit nostalgic. Kids these days just aren't being fooled the way I was!

Seen here: discrepancy

THE PROCESS
* Registration will be open for four days. During that time, all you do is write here that you want in.
* You will then be allotted a random AGS game from the AGS game database.
That's right, you will not be working on your own game, nor a game of your choosing (nor a silly generated name), but a real, already existing game that somebody else has made. This does entail some legal issues - you'll want the author's permission before using the illustration in a portfolio or another "official" context - or if it gets troublesome, you'll just remove the title.
* We'll spend one week making sketches and concepts and discussing ideas. We give our fellow artists some feedback on their ideas.
* We then spend a week developing characters, putting text and pictures together, work on layout and composition. We finish this period by giving everyone a round of c&c.
* The last period is used refining and finishing our pictures. We add details, highlights, textures etc.

ABOUT BOX ART
* Box art is used both to give the buyer an idea of what the game is about, but also to attract them. It has to be interesting, intriguing, impressive, while consistent with the style and genre of the game.
* Box art almost always features the main character, so it's important to get an idea of what that character is all about, and to make a - more - realistic representation of him/her.
* Box art also has a title in a nice, fitting font type, so that's one more element to take into consideration.

ABOUT THE GAME SELECTION
I will generate a random game for every participant, but will first make sure that it
* Is less than 3 years old - it's funnier to work with a fairly new product, and it's also more likely that the author is around (to give their approval/disapproval)
* Is playable - it's probably useful to play at least a minute or two to get a basic grasp of the style, and get to know the protagonist.
* Isn't a commercial title - copyright issues will be less of an issue if it's freeware.
* Hasn't already got a cover illustration - the above clause probably reduces the likelihood of there being one, which is good because it probably feels more "real" if your picture will be the only one.

If I choose to participate, I'll simply let another member select my game.

REMEMBER!
The serious, professional-sounding nature of this competition may deter some people from participating, but remember that most members are complete amateurs when it comes to digital painting. Consider this a really good opportunity to practice your skills, in a very educational and helpful environment, and the competition aspect is just a minor part of it.

MITTENS TIME EXTENSION
People attending Mittens will be given 5 extra days to work on their pieces. We could wait until after mittens, but that would delay the whole activity so much we'd risk other members choosing to prioritize work or studies (I will just have started working myself). I hope the 5 extra days is enough of a compensation.

LINKS
Previous workshop: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48175.0
and: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48324.0
Some really good - and really bad - boxes: http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/slideshow/278111/video_game_box_art_gallery_best_worst/?image=1

My own illustration gallery (couldn't help the plug, sorry!!) for whatever reason: http://andail.cgsociety.org/gallery/

ThreeOhFour

1. I want in!
2. Bad Blood was a pretty cool game! :D

cat

I'm in! I'll try to do some concepts on paper during Mittens.

Igor Hardy

I'm in. I'll be doing concepts with cat at Mittens.

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

selmiak

I'm very interested, dunno if I can make it, but for now, I'm in!

Babar

I need to brush up on my skills, and while I'm not sure how far along I'll be able to go, count me in.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

dactylopus

Nuts, I was hoping to participate, but the assignment of random AGS games is going to keep me away.

I'll certainly enjoy watching everyone's progress!  Good luck!

Dropped Monocle Games

san.daniele

I love the idea of this competition.

Not sure if I find the time but I guess there's no harm in signing up.

I'm worthless when it comes to drawing, so you can expect me to find some other way to create a cover art.

nihilyst

Miez

Nice concept! I'd like to be with the in-crowd as well :D

slapstick

I'd like to participate, very sad I missed out on the monsters.
What a fun, sexy time for you.

oraxon

Sign me up! I've always wanted to be better at this.

ThreeOhFour

On a technical note - is it perhaps a good idea to set a standard canvas size for all entries to conform to? Seeing as we're going to be working on a standard format, it could be an idea?

xil

Well, I set myself the task of learning to draw, so I guess this is pretty much perfect, so sign me up please and fingers crossed I don't insult someone's game too much :P
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Layabout

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot.
I am Jean-Pierre.

CitizenParagon

Looks like a blast, sign me up please.

Dervish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk