Burroughs' "Naked Lunch" could make a terrific adventure game

Started by BunnyShoggoth, Mon 12/11/2012 14:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

BunnyShoggoth

I wrote a post on this about a week ago, now i start a new thread. According to the Gamesradar, the book "Naked Lunch" could be made into a text adventure... But now i'm saying, what's about a classic point & click game? Of course, the highly incomprehensible plot of the book would need a lot of changes, similar to how it was done in the Cronenberg movie. The plot of the game could follow Inspector Lee's surrealistic adventures on his missions for the "Islam Inc." as he travels to Mexico and the Interzone.

i believe that with Penny Arcade Adventures' very dark humor, the adventure gaming has crossed the line of cynism needed to adaptate "Naked Lunch".  i wouldn't even mind a couple of Penny Arcade-type action sequences, perhaps with Hauser and O'Brien... And as a cherry on top, i discovered some Naked Lunch fanart that looks highly adventure game-ish:

Ghost

PA Adventures? I dare you to play "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". Then let's talk about cynism again ;)

Naked Lunch would be a trip and a half, that's for sure. I've read the book and seen the movie and the two really have little in common (the movie left me baffled, the book left me confuddled). But there's some interesting themes and symbolism in both- in an adventure game it would become more mainstream and convential, though. Pretty much the only novel thing would be the visuals (but that doesn't have to be bad thing).

I've often thought eXistence, The Fly and Cabal would make prime adventure game material, too. And probably Monkey Bone, but that's just wishful thinking.

Radiant

Have you seen that this month's MAGS contest is about making a game based on a novel? So here's your chance!

BunnyShoggoth

Unfortunately my art style sucks (and by this, i mean really, really sucks), so im not sure about this. However i so, so totally wouldn't mind anyone else picking the idea.
Quote from: Ghost on Mon 12/11/2012 18:58:40
in an adventure game it would become more mainstream and convential, though.
Maybe but that would be nothing compared to poor kafka and hamlet.

BunnyShoggoth

Dun a quick mockup in Photoshop just to show u how i imagine things.
Spoiler
Of course, being the terrible failure of an artist I am, almost everything is borrowed from somewhere
[close]
Yep, it's supposed to be Interzone.

BunnyShoggoth

Having finished the Nova Trilogy (Soft Machine, the Ticket that Exploded, and Nova Express), I now think a Nova Express adventure game could be a better idea. Unlike Naked Lunch, it does actually have some sort of sci-fi plot, with a police agent against intergalactic gangsters (and it is certainly more comprehensive than the other books in the trilogy). I think the atmosphere could be a bit similar to Lone Case 3, with a combination of sci-fi, noir and toon surrealism :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk