Captain Disaster in The Dark Side of the Moon - NOW ON STEAM 18.05.20!

Started by CaptainD, Mon 12/08/2013 23:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Now on Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1305500/Captain_Disaster_in_The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon/

** UPDATE 19th May 2016 - TALKIE VERSION NOW AVAILABLE!! **

** UPDATE 7th December 2017 - now also available on Itch.io!

Hernald and CaptainD proudly present:

Captain Disaster in: "The Dark Side of the Moon"!

When CD sleepwalks through an open StarGate, he not only gets stranded on a distant, abandoned moon, but unearths a diabolic plan of The Maestro - a plan which, unfortunately, The Maestro's normal arch-nemesis The Dentist is powerless to foil!

- Featuring state of the art awful graphics!
- Excellent music, including two brilliant original compositions by our very own Viking
- Puzzles galore, some simple, some pretty darned devious...
- 16 Achievements to obtain - including attempting to defeat evil with pudding and inadvertently destroying the universe!
- Thoroughly beta testing by Arjon StrayDogStrut and LostTrainDude - so blame them for any bugs you still manage to find  ;)

You CAN largely complete the game without LOOKing at anything (Left mouse button for INTERACT, right mouse button for LOOK) - but you will miss out on a lot of the game's storyline and humour if you do.

Using Direct3D rather then DirectDraw heartily recommended.  Unless you want the small character sprite to look like a blob.

Screenshots:

AGS Game Page
GameJolt Page
Itch.io Page

Adeel

Congratulations on your release :). Downloading your game right now.

arj0n

xil

Nice game, the background is a little grating after a while, but that's only me nitpicking as I couldn't really find much else to fault. :)

Puzzles were pretty well balanced and if not for the lack of possibly some more of the more inventive ones (you know which one i mean!) and a few too many basic object combining/using it really was a very professional set of puzzles.

Spoiler
The hoverboard was literally perfect timing for me as I was definitely feeling a little depressed at the thought of walking everywhere!

However, that did present one small bug (more of a glitch) in that you can select the hoverboard whilst in the hotel and see the large version of the pixely sprite of CD on the board.
[close]

Congrats on the release and I look forward to DHAMSB :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

CaptainD

@ Arjon - thanks, and especially thanks for all your help with testing!

@calicoreverie - thanks for the feedback.  Sorry the background grated, I know the graphics were (to be kind!) not the best, but I did the best with them that I could. 

Can you PM me about some of the more inventive puzzles you're talking about?  (I have an idea what you mean but it may be something that just never occurred to me!  8-))

Glad you found the
Spoiler
hoverboard
[close]
in time - did you (and others?) also realise that if you found the walking just too slow / annoying, you can change the game speed as well?

Oh and don't worry... I have much better artists than me involved with DHAMSB!!

Slasher

QuoteThe Dentist is powerless to foil!  Defeat evil with pudding  (laugh)
Sounds right up my street.

Downloading

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

CaptainD

Thanks Slasher & Miguel, hope you enjoy the game!

LTGiants2000

Ah yes, this will be a great warm up for "Stomping Boots". Congrats Dave!

gspit1124

I am stuck..I have
Spoiler
Berry, megaphone, crowbar, hover board, suspenders, stargate for dummies book, camera, pudding, and greens
[close]
What do I do next?

Viking

Congratulations, sir!  Glad it's released at last. :)

CaptainD

Thanks all!  :)

@gspit1124 - based on the items you have I've given you a couple of hints over on the Hints and Tips board.

bentibbetts

CaptainD

@bentibbetts - thanks!  Hope you enjoyed it.

Just want to clarify in case anyone is confused - this freeware game is only set in the same game universe as the commercial games and features some of the same characters, including of course the main character.  Dark Side features my very own bad graphics, whereas the commercial games will feature much better graphics by much better artists then me, be fully voiced, and of course be a lot longer.  (I'm proud of this little game though! :-D)

CaptainD

The game was featured in the "Following Freeware" section on AdventureGamers.com.  They seemed to quite like it, and pretty much nailed what we were actually trying to accomplish.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/25383

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

SeamanNaranja

Finally got a chance to test this yesterday! I have to say I enjoyed the little I played and I am looking to pick it up tonight. Noticed a few references all ready and the music and feel of the game is great. I'll give more detailed feedback later, but for now it looks like a real indie gem ;-D
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

CaptainD

Thanks Mr Orange!  I thought everyone had already forgotten about our little game, so it was really nice to see your message. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk