Translation files

Started by Peder 🚀, Mon 26/08/2013 22:28:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

Hi, I was wondering if someone could provide me with some information about the translation files AGS creates.
For example, have they changed much since AGS 2.6.1? (Both how they work and the comments section at the very top).
And if they have changed in any AGS version since 2.6.1 if it would be possible for someone to provide me examples of each different one and for what AGS versions they work with.

Also what the difference is when the game has speech or not would be valuable information for me.

I need this information for a feature on AGS Archives.

Peder 🚀

Crimson Wizard

I cannot tell if you are asking about source translation file or output ones, so I have to give brief summary.

1. AGS Editor creates TRS files for editing translations. They are simple text files, that are parsed during compilation and converted into binary TRA file with dictionary of sentences. The latter are used by the engine.

2. In TRS the commented lines are ignored. You can have comments anywhere, given the line has // symbols first.

3. It does not seem to me that there were any significant changes since AGS 2.6.1. The TRS looks similar, with only difference being different comments (that are ignored anyway) and the "!!!EOF *** DO NOT REMOVE THIS LINE ***" text in the end.
I doubt we can find precise answer without having old editor's source code, which we do not.

I made a small game with 2.56 and 1 translation, and our latest engine ran that fine, which means that TRA output format is the same.

4. The games that use speech have "&NNNN" tags in text here developer placed them. I believe the translated lines should have these too.

Peder 🚀

I was speaking about the plain text ones, thanks for the info Crimson! :)

Crimson Wizard

There is a particular change in 3.* Editor, which could be a bug. It no more does allow the comment lines between original text and translation (something that 2.72 does).

Peder 🚀

Thanks for that additional info!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk