MAGS September: "Animals" (WINNER: Fitz)

Started by Atelier, Sun 01/09/2013 19:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

ZapZap

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 10/09/2013 18:22:09
everyone's probably working like busy little ants deep down underground
Actually I'm trying to make "the Ant and the GrassHopper" into a game xD, soon I'll post a pic and a thread in the Gip to attract musicians and betatesters... trying 160x100 this time!
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

ZapZap

DBoyWheeler

So far so good on the project.  I'm trying to work on mine.  The plot is you are a blackbird (not to be confused with the one in the Quest for Glory series).  A human has shot your mate and ruined your nest.  Now you want payback, and you plan to do it by making his life miserable.

Since this is non-anthro animals, I probably won't have an inventory (where's the animal gonna store inventory anyway without clothes?).  Again, since I'm still relatively new to using AGS, I'll keep the game simple.  I not too long ago finished up the sprites of the blackbird, and right now working on the rooms.  When I get a chance, I'll upload what I got so far.

ZapZap

Ok I think we should determine how much non-anthro can the game be. Cause my ant will interact with many other animales in a non eat/be eaten way. I mean, is a fable, they'd be kind of humanized at some degree

Fitz

I think/hope it should be ok as long as the character is still essentially an animal, living in some sort of a natural habitat, not wearing clothes and such. Because Monty here is a bit anthro -- but not quite.

No clothes = check. Lives out in the wild = check. He doesn't talk, either, and communicates with grunts, instead -- and will have a non-standard set of actions available: including hitting stuff, hissing, roaring, and also pooping and peeing. I'm also taking the animal theme to a curious extreme in background design :) However, I'm still considering some simple, rather unorthodox combinations of objects forming primitive tools -- and some symbolic graphics (think hyeroglyphics/icons) as a means to communicating things more complex than "yes/no/that won't work".  What do you guys think?

Radiant

Quote from: Cleanic on Fri 13/09/2013 13:23:22
Ok I think we should determine how much non-anthro can the game be. Cause my ant will interact with many other animales in a non eat/be eaten way. I mean, is a fable, they'd be kind of humanized at some degree
Quote from: Fitz on Fri 13/09/2013 13:50:29
No clothes = check. Lives out in the wild = check. He doesn't talk, either, and communicates with grunts, instead -- and will have a non-standard set of actions available: including hitting stuff, hissing, roaring, and also pooping and peeing. I'm also taking the animal theme to a curious extreme in background design :) However, I'm still considering some simple, rather unorthodox combinations of objects forming primitive tools -- and some symbolic graphics (think hyeroglyphics/icons) as a means to communicating things more complex than "yes/no/that won't work".  What do you guys think?
I think both are great examples and totally fine.

Atelier

Fitz

Damn, does the time fly or what? :) I'm still busy working on the backgrounds, got two out of five -- but those were the hardest to make. Here's the first one.

I decided to take the animal theme to a bit of an extreme in background design, too: all the elements of the scenery are animal parts of the body, animal products -- or excretions :P

How's everyone else doing?

dactylopus

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 17/09/2013 11:15:42
all the elements of the scenery are animal parts of the body, animal products -- or excretions :P
Gross, but it works.

Everything I've seen in here so far looks pretty good.  Keep it up, guys!  I'm looking forward to playing at least a few of these when the month is over!

kaput

It's pretty damn experimental, Fitz, I'll give you that! The DaDa 'artists' would be proud of you.

On a side note, the job on the right looks like it's frowning.

Fitz

Interesting fact: those are actually as ancient as the mountains/rocks they're supposed to represent -- they are dinosaur feces! Consistency (pun intended) was very important to me. I even gave the mountain range a name: the Scatskills ;)

selmiak

@fitz: That's the hairiest sky I've ever seen, but it sure looks good and unique.

Fitz

It's definitely got a nice gradient that fits the scenery -- although I am considering changing it to pale-yellow-to-orange gradient taken from a picture of a urine sample. That way it would be more consistent with... well, certain other elements of similarly gross nature :)

Ghost

I've got to ask: WHAT is the sun?
Apart from that I really love the concept; it's "make a world out of what's available" to the extreme (nod)

selmiak

looks like a slice of ham to me...;-D

Fitz

Yup, that's exactly what it is :) To make it even more fun, in each room the sun will be made of something else -- as will every repeating element of the scenery (like the ground or water). It's getting hard to come up with a consistent theme for each room -- and I've seen some WEIRD stuff while doing my research -- but that's what makes it fun and challenging!

Stupot

How about a pond made of cat sick? :-X

DBoyWheeler

Well, thought I'd give you a preview of my MAGS.

Here is the protagonist, the blackbird who wishes to avenge his family by making the life of his human enemy miserable.

And here's the background of the starting room.

As stated in a previous thread, I'm gonna keep the game simple.  There's no inventory items, but then, where's the animal gonna store inventory anyway?  Also, I don't know how to make my own save/load function, but I plan to have it so nothing can kill you, and only three main "tasks", you wouldn't need to save/load anyway.  I guess my philosophy for the game here is "simplicity counts".  Since I'm on a time limit anyway, there ain't much room for fancy stuff.

Update: It's ready!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49036.msg636468449

Saltwater Taffy

I'm really hoping I'll be able to join in next month's MAGS. Hope the theme can some how be relevant to Halloween XD I miss trick or treating ;3; but i'm up for anything inspiring, really. I'm just gonna sit over here and wait patiently, don't mind me. 8-)

Atelier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk