Sepulchre

Started by Lewis, Mon 02/09/2013 08:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewis

Download Sepulchre for free!
[Special editions available for $2.99]
Please note - name/email required to redeem free game code. We're looking into a way to nuke this. In the meantime, we promise we won't spam you.

Sepulchre is an adventure short from Owl Cave, written by Ashton Raze (Richard & Alice) and drawn by Ben Chandler (everything ever), and with other awesome contributions from lots of lovely people.

It's a game featuring horror, trains, and huge bags. It should take most people around half an hour to play through.

Sepulchre is free. That means it doesn't cost money. It's like stealing... but legal.

Here's the launch trailer:

[embed=601,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FCFfxCrsI4[/embed]

The Special Edition

Oh, hey, so why not consider picking up a copy of the special edition?

For $2.99, you get the game (obviously), as well as...

+ The full original soundtrack, written and performed by Jack de Quidt
+ Two desktop wallpapers
+ A digital copy of 'Bright Lights & Glass Houses', a collection of short stories written by Ashton Raze, set in the same universe as Sepulchre

Head to the website and make it yours!

owlcave.net/sepulchre

Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

kaput

Played and completed. A perfect game to sit down and have a cup of coffee with. Quite enjoyed it, guys. Well done :smiley:

The puzzles were quite easy but the story carried it well. The music and sfx set the scene nicely.

I'll never look at a massive bag on a train quite the same (laugh).

Khris

I'm really enjoying this so far, not finished yet though.

Maybe people would like a direct download of a zip file? I would have :-D

Also a small "bug": while trying to save, I got a screwed up version of the default game's icon bar, and it's now covering the inventory, which means I have to start over. Speaking of inventory, tab still brings up the default one.

Andail

Looking good.
Could you please clarify in your post that a registration (with full name and email address) is needed in order to download the game?

Lewis

Good shout. We're looking into a way to remove this, actually, but I'll note it in the meantime.
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Lewis

Quote from: Khris on Mon 02/09/2013 11:54:13Also a small "bug": while trying to save, I got a screwed up version of the default game's icon bar, and it's now covering the inventory, which means I have to start over. Speaking of inventory, tab still brings up the default one.

Ouch. Well spotted. We'll tweak and re-upload asap.

frenzykitty

The links appear to be broken :/

Lewis

So they do. How infuriating. All our store seems to be down, in fact.

Have just submitted a ticket to our distributors.

Lewis

So, our delivery partner got DDOSed. Fingers crossed it'll be sorted asap.

Lewis

Seems to be working again, I think.

qptain Nemo

I almost feel like I've joined DDoSing in my attempts to grab the game.

And while I understand the idea of knowing exactly how many people have downloaded the game is very attractive, I must say it would be terribly nice of you to consider hosting the free version of the game on Google Drive or something else with a direct download option.

frenzykitty

Just finished it...

That... Was f&#king glorious!

Beautiful, smart, subtle and mature.

Andail

Ok, completed it, a nice little horror story :)
The heavy symbolism and fateful tone of voice made me think of Eternally Us.

Especially background and character art was gorgeous (apart from maybe the bending down animation, ahem...), however a tad too much walking back and forth those corridors, for my taste.

Lewis

dopster

Really enjoyed it, short but sweet.

Gorgeous artwork, and really good voice acting, especially the main character.

Leaves me wanting for more, and also leaves me with questions. That's not a bad thing - the best games are the ones that leave you thinking about them afterwards.

Great job.

Stupot

Quote from: Khris on Mon 02/09/2013 11:54:13Also a small "bug": while trying to save, I got a screwed up version of the default game's icon bar, and it's now covering the inventory, which means I have to start over. Speaking of inventory, tab still brings up the default one.
I experienced this too.  Luckily I wasn't so far into it.  I get the impression from the lack of 'Load' option in the main menu that this game is supposed to be played through in one sitting and doean't really need to be saved anyway. So next time I'll just do that.

I did notice another small thing: when I went to open the first door, the player character opened the door whilst facing away from it.

Anyway, nice game so far. suitably creepy. I'll be back with a proper verdict in due course :-)

Shadow1000

I still am unable to download :( the link doesn't work.

Edited to say that it did work eventually. I installed and played it. Very polished and well done.

SHADOW

qptain Nemo

Ok, I've played through this. Not a huge fan of the storytelling structure where the entire narrative is being turned into a guessing game, and every single element of the story is treated as is if it was some brilliant subtle mystery to the last drop, when in reality of course there are some mundane bits that don't benefit from obscuring nearly as much as actual exciting subtle mysteries, but still I dig this a lot. The mood, the style and most importantly the approach to horror are great. I was fucking terrified the entire game and you pulled it off entirely without monstrosities, excessive darkness, jump scares or indeed pretty much any kind of vulgar scare. Instead, you made it with mystery, weirdness and ominous dreadful feel. Well done. We definitely need more of this kind of horror. With plenty of weirdness and clever unsettling subtleties.

Having finished it, I have a very vague idea of what the plot means, which I both like and not. So I can only assume there are mundane elements in the plot, because otherwise, well, logically, then it'd be impossible to even deduce what it is about. But I'll keep thinking about it and I admit it does prove to be a moderately pleasant puzzle to try and unfold. And regardless, again, I'd like more of this sort of thing. Imperfect maybe, but more importantly, daring, tasteful and playful. And just simply damn cool.

And I really liked the voice acting. The main character was very charming.

Spoiler
Also, not being able to make the protagonist look in the bags is a brilliant move that goes against many horror cliches. Again, well done.
[close]

Lewis

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 03/09/2013 00:49:30I get the impression from the lack of 'Load' option in the main menu that this game is supposed to be played through in one sitting and doean't really need to be saved anyway. So next time I'll just do that.

The menus are contextual. The game saves automatically when you quit. When you re-launch it, there should be both a 'continue game' and a 'new game' option on there. :-)

Lewis

Game is now bugfixed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk