Mouse Acceleration bugs

Started by Knox, Wed 11/09/2013 02:50:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Knox

(I moved this question to a new thread, hope its OK)

For a while now I've noticed my mouse (logitech mx518 "setpoint" driver) was really "laggy" and the acceleration way off when I tried to play the game fullscreen but pretty much ignored it (until lately) thinking it was something I could clear up on my own in time since it was low-priority for me.

However since working on my driving gameplay it is becoming almost impossible to test since I need to move the mouse quickly and accurately, and I really don't know how to fix it myself (I tried multiple solutions offered in the thread below without any luck). I searched the forums and it looks like (to quote Subspark in a PM) AGS does it's own internal mouse averaging and smoothing procedures and that this was likely to compound precision issues with any system/hardware settings underneath.

I was wondering, is this something that is really complicated/too long to perhaps look into and have possibly fixed for a not-too-distant future release? To quote Subspark again, it looks like there would be 2 things to happen in order for that to be fixed: upgrading the AGS pathfinder (it calculates in 4:3 aspect regardless of the wider 16:10 runtime mode), and perhaps make the internal mouse processing going on in the engine an optional feature (not hard compiled into our games).

Here is the thread I am referencing:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=37518.msg565726#msg565726

What would your thoughts be (Crimson) on those issues my good sir? :smiley:

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 10/09/2013 08:27:07

I think I saw this mouse problem myself; I thought it is related to the coordinates scaling AGS does to mouse cursor position. This is most noticeable with custom display resolution build, when the 4:3 game is proportionally stretched to large wide-screen window. Now when I read that thread I am a bit confused. Are there two problems, the second being lack of hardware acceleration support? I wasn't aware of this, and I do not even know where to start looking.
I think this problem deserves its own thread BTW (and it is an Engine problem, not Editor's).

I was planning to look into both mouse and pathfinder issues naturally since I am working on custom resolutions now. But I have no certain forecast.

--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

AGD2

I was also thinking about this issue. Don't know if it's possible to do, but it would be useful if the engine allowed mouse sensitivity/speed to be adjusted. When you're using a 2x (or greater) filter, it seems the mouse also moves slower since it has more screen area to cross. This way, you could set up an in-game slider and the player could adjust the mouse speed to their liking.

Knox

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 25/09/2013 13:26:41
Don't know if it's possible to do, but it would be useful if the engine allowed mouse sensitivity/speed to be adjusted...This way, you could set up an in-game slider and the player could adjust the mouse speed to their liking.
That is a really good idea, hopefully something could be done about it one day.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Software sensivity is very simple to make. I have considered to do this since I started making custom display resolutions, because they caused even more troubles with mouse moving at different speeds vertically and horizontally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk