Community "pick of the month"

Started by , Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 13/09/2013 19:24:46
There is no truth to the rumor that panelists are chosen by competing in inter-species gladiatorial contests...yet. ¬¬

You mean it's only humans involved at this stage? 8-)

miguel

QuoteYou mean it's only humans involved at this stage? 8-)
And to think I always thought they were guys from Kripton, dressed in black, (like the villains on old Super-Man movies) who decided things around here...
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 13/09/2013 19:24:46
There is no truth to the rumor that panelists are chosen by competing in inter-species gladiatorial contests...yet. ¬¬
Darn. So I trained that mutated ninja-gecko for naught?

On topic: Nice to see the POTM going to be more active; I'll sure give the old db a good browse.

CaptainD

So, just to clarify... we're supposed to nominate our pick of the month and write a short description of it in this thread? ???

m0ds

^ Yup. Description of why you like it/what makes it stand out :)

CaptainD

Since no-one seems to want to start the ball rolling... (this is completely without coercion from Miguel!!(laugh) - this is the game that I enjoyed most from the recent batch of releases):

My pick for this month is: Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Time

I guess part of the reason I chose this game is because of where it seems to be headed as well as what it is - being the first episode of a series, it's pretty short.  However the aesthetics were wonderful, the puzzles were very well implemented, and the characters / story certainly made me want to see what happens in the next episode.  It's not perfect - the pixel hunting in one location frustrated me a little and the innuendo was unnecessary - but the game as a whole was extremely enjoyable and a very promising set up for what looks set to be an epic sci-fi adventure set on a background of jazz music.

cat

Nice one, CaptainD! If you can re-formulate your description as a teaser, I'll set it as Pick of the Month.

CaptainD

"Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Time follows the exploits of a jazz musician whose life turns upside down when his father dies.  It's a traumatic event in itself. but when people start showing up and and being intensely interested in the research that his father had sent him, things start to get complicated.  Can the beautiful woman who claims to have been a colleague of his father's be trusted?  Who are the henchmen who are now after him?  Just what is his father's mysterious research project that can apparently change the world anyway?

Beautiful graphics, a moody jazz soundtrack and intelligent puzzles make this an encouraging start to what promises to be a very interesting game series.  There is some unnecessary innuendo and the game is admittedly very short, but it's highly enjoyable and certainly makes you want to find out what's happening in the next episode."

Is that okay Cat?

cat

AGA

Changed it to formally give CaptainD the credit, rather than cat.

CaptainD

cat

miguel

m0ds

October has arrived. We can put up another community pick if someone has one :) Remember to include a paragraph of why you think it deserves the pick!

miguel

I vote for Sepulchre.
Here's what I think about this game:

Just finished this game, and I enjoyed it mostly because of the cool setting and ambiance. It kept me going until I knew what the hell was going on that train!
The mood is scary like twilight zone scary and the moving bag gave me the shivers.
Backgrounds art and character art are all high quality and the music was fitting for the genre and slow tempo of the game.
Voice work was a nice asset to the game, it's always cool to have them. I'd say they do the job well.
I could have had more story given to me but after playing it I didn't feel disappointed regarding that aspect.
There's a unsettling feeling along the game that kind of transported to "The Shining" movie and that is something hard to achieve with a minimalistic structure like Sepulchre. Bravo!
The puzzles weren't really puzzles in difficulty but simply a way to "hold" the player from completion and I think this was the only "weak" point of this game.
There are some easily fixed bugs as well that were already mentioned but nothing that really stopped my immersion on the plot.

My overall feeling of the game was pretty good and I wish it could have be longer. Although every minute of it is played with that good uncertainty and thrill. A good short game with high quality production that every one should play.

m0ds

Thanks Miguel, certainly happy to go with your pick, but perhaps you could write a shorter summary more in the style of the writing for other picks? Just a general overview rather than a breakdown of each element?

miguel

You mean like how the AGS Rating Panel commented on my last game?:-D

I'm not that good with words Mods, but I place my vote on Sepulchre anyway.

Andail

It seems the suggestions so far have been mostly the obvious choices - games that people are likely to download and play anyway. I'd like people to use this opportunity to bring up the hidden gems of the database.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Andail on Mon 07/10/2013 11:41:48
It seems the suggestions so far have been mostly the obvious choices - games that people are likely to download and play anyway. I'd like people to use this opportunity to bring up the hidden gems of the database.
I wanted to suggest "Emily Enough: Imprisoned" for Pick of the month. :)
Played it long ago though, probably it is worth to replay and see if I still like it... ummm... enough (heh).
(But it has a pretty high rating anyway)

kaput

I vote for Skumring. It doesn't seem to have much plays (at least on this database), nor does it have a rating yet.

Quote from: About the gameWhen a beautiful dame in distress enters gumshoe Cooper Chutney's office, asking for help to investigate her husbands infidelity, something didn't seem right. Why would anyone cheat on such beautiful broad, he thought? Little did he know that this seemingly simple case would lead him down a spiral into the darkest depths of Port Horizon.

SeamanNaranja's Skumring is a 1950's Noir point and click adventure set in the sleepless city of Port Horizon. A city on the verge of moral collapse.

Step into the shoes of a PI yearning to prove himself in this slick, contemporary tale of gangsters, greed and goons.

With classic comic book-esque cutscenes, full voice acting, varied jazz/classical soundtrack, intelligent writing and 3+ hours of gameplay, this is certainly a must play for any adventure gamer.

Probably could be written about better, but it's all I got right now ;).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk