Community "pick of the month"

Started by , Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Great pick! I agree that the verbcoin was awkward but very cute game.
Spoiler
Would have been great if you had to face more "fears".
[close]

Kastchey

Quote from: cat on Sat 11/05/2019 16:19:26
Spoiler
Would have been great if you had to face more "fears".
[close]
Spoiler
I agree! But I suppose the lack of polish and some plot shortcuts were all down to MAGS time constraints.
[close]

cat

Durq

cat

No, it hasn't! Write a teaser for it and I'll put it up  :)

Blondbraid

Otherwise, since it's pride month, how about a game with a queer protagonist?

cat

I don't care if a protagonist is queer - pick of the month is for recommending good games.

Write a teaser for a suitable game and I'll set it.

cat

Durq, Blondbraid: No teaser for me?

Durq

Can you use the author's description?

"A sharp clap of thunder jolts you awake.

You find yourself cold and alone in a dark forest clearing.

You have no memory of who you are or what you're doing here.

You just know that you need to make it to the distant light that you recognise as home.

But the forest is not going to make it easy...

And you might just find that there's more to this strange pilgrimage than meets the eye..."

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2244/

cat

Quote from: Durq on Fri 07/06/2019 19:31:00
Can you use the author's description?

No, this would be boring and too easy  ;)

I would like to have a more personal message from the person who chooses the game. Just have a look at previous picks to get an idea.

Babar

Quote from: Blondbraid on Tue 04/06/2019 21:05:00
Otherwise, since it's pride month, how about a game with a queer protagonist?
I thought about nominating Femspray, which while it doesn't have a queer protagonist (except for in one bit), it was a fun, lighthearted but non-derogatory take on the subject. But then I realised I had written it up for pick of the month before already :D. The author made a newer game with similar themes and subject matter, but I haven't played that one, so I can't really nominate it.

Instead, I'll go for a game that has been nominated before, over 10 years ago, and deserves way more love :D : The Winter Rose
I remember there was a word limit for how long the blurb had to be, but I can't find/remember it now, so here is something I hope is long enough:

I believe this 14 year old gem is our resident BaRoN's first game, so you might feel it has a few rough edges, but it is well worth playing. It has great writing, pretty artwork, all building up to create the cold wintery atmosphere that leads you to a genuine sense of going on an adventure in this adventure game- like the Sierra games of old, but without the frustrating and insane puzzles.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

morganw

Quote from: Babar on Sat 08/06/2019 08:56:11
Instead, I'll go for a game that has been nominated before, over 10 years ago, and deserves way more love :D : The Winter Rose
The download link doesn't work though.

Babar

Quote from: morganw on Sat 08/06/2019 11:11:20
Quote from: Babar on Sat 08/06/2019 08:56:11
The download link doesn't work though.
What? Sure it does!  :=

(check again)

cat

Winter Rose was PotM in August 2006, Femspray was PotM in April 2013.

Don't you play any recent games, guys?  (laugh)

Kastchey

If no one else is looking to provide a pick with a full description, I can offer:

Absin by Fransis
Database link: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2263/
Synopsis: Join a bitter, cynical, down-on-her-luck detective on an unexpected and very much unwanted journey into her past.
Whilst more picky players may find the visuals lacking, the interesting non-linear structure of this investigative noir game and a strong focus on narration should easily make up for it.

It hasn't been a PotM yet and it's a pretty cool game. Fairly recently released, too!
Also, - spoiler alert, best play the game through to the end before you unhide -
Spoiler
it has a Q protagonist, per Blondbraid's wish :)
[close]

Babar

I am sad that a game would be dismissed due to being old. Old games need love too! More so than new games!

(my disappointment is very trivial, and I'm half joking, don't make much of it  := ).

cat

Excellent pick, Kastchey! I just finished playing and I got ending
Spoiler
A - Obviously I guessed it right. It was quite difficult because there were only clues, no real proof. But no other person was that suspicious so I just guessed  :)
[close]

Too bad there is no save option, it actually took me longer that 1 hour to play, there are a lot of rooms to explore.

@Babar: The games were dismissed because they were already PotM before. And I think newer games need more love than old games.

Kastchey

Fully agree, the lack of save makes the game considerably less player friendly and it does take more than an hour to complete. Still worth it, though!
Spoiler
I think I got the same ending the first time round, as I also figured the real culprit was the most logical choice. Side note, if I remember correctly the debug mode has been left on so whoever doesn't feel like replaying or have the patience because of the lack of save system, there's always the cheap option for a bit of extra lore...
[close]
And as for the game choice in general, it's always interesting when someone uncovers an old gem. But there's also an unquestionable perk to choosing games released in a given year - more chance for a wider variety of nominees for AGS Awards. I thought of suggesting a game added in 2019 purely for that reason, but couldn't resist picking Absin...

KyriakosCH

I would like to nominate a game :)

Metaphobia by Digital Mosaic Games
Database link: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2352/
Synopsis: The murder of his father, a prominent politician, always seemed a bit suspicious to the protagonist. According to the authorities it was a random burglary, but maybe some enemies wanted to silence him and used a hit-man. How deep is the rabbit-hole? You can find out in this very elegant and professionally made new horror adventure.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Jojo_the_monkey

I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk