Community "pick of the month"

Started by , Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Suggestion:

Maverick Gunn and the Eye of Oggun

You are looking for a tresure? Well, look no more, this treasure hunt will lead you through an Indiana Jones inspired adventure on some tropical islands. Interesting characters, lots of puzzles and beautiful graphics await you in this little gem looking for a gem!

Creamy

Belated thank you, Sinitrena. I've set Tampere's proposition for January and yours for February.

Creamy

Since you've been binge-playing games for the AGS Awards nominations, why not share your discoveries  ;-D

Just write a little blurb about any worthwhile free AGS game in this thread and we'll make it the next Pick of the month.

The list of previous Picks.

Laura Hunt

I can't believe The Cabin hasn't been awarded Pick of the Month yet, so:

The Cabin

"Why are you in this cabin? And where *is* this cabin? Why is snow the only thing you can remember? Piece together the clues in this enigmatic and beautiful first-person mystery!"

heltenjon

I second Laura's choice of The Cabin. Outstanding game!

With the awards coming up, I guess some of the games from yesteryear will get their deserved attention there. I'll certainly be happy to write a suggestion about picking Zniw, Off the Clock or Money Mansion if they by some off chance don't win anything.

Creamy

QuoteI can't believe The Cabin hasn't been awarded Pick of the Month yet, so:

The Cabin

"Why are you in this cabin? And where *is* this cabin? Why is snow the only thing you can remember? Piece together the clues in this enigmatic and beautiful first-person mystery!"

Hyperspace coordinates locked in, thank you  :)

QuoteWith the awards coming up, I guess some of the games from yesteryear will get their deserved attention there. I'll certainly be happy to write a suggestion about picking Zniw, Off the Clock or Money Mansion if they by some off chance don't win anything.
Yes, it's never too late to give some recognition to an overlooked game. That's something that I like in the Pick.  Only free games are eligible though (sorry Zniw).

heltenjon

After seeing the award nominations, I feel I have to suggest an overlooked title for one of the upcoming months.

Suggestion:

Money Mansion

So you liked Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle? Want to play more with the heroes from those games? Sorry, this one is about the bad guys! In a wonderful mash-up of Disney's Uncle Scrooge and MM, try to get ahold of a million bucks to keep the Mansion. You play as Dr. Fred, Edna and Ed, who each have their own weaknesses and (lack of) abilities. Enjoy bizarre humour and solve challenging puzzles in your quest to take that money! Flirt with a statue! Beat the security system! Watch TV! Oh, just play the game, won’t you?

Creamy

Entered April 2021 on the DeLorean keypad. Thank you Heltenjon

KyriakosCH

I want to suggest Content, for game of the month: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58987.0

In Content you return to the Bug-infested universe (this is the second game in a series) and unwillingly get involved so as to save your cat. A lot of creative elements and nice animations, make this a great addition to the series. Be sure to check the author's first game too.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Creamy

Thanks Kyriakos. I set it for May.

Having played the game myself, I just added this line : "Please don't skip the tutorial because the game features Quick Time Events."

KyriakosCH

^Indeed. I had to infer that the walkthrough was there for a tied reason, and run it, after trying for a while to go past the first instance of those events...
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Creamy

Here comes June,
I need a blurb soon.

Please recommand a hidden gem
or there'll be a pick à la crème.

heltenjon

I don't think Minifeg: The Search have been a pick of the month. It's a small to medium sized gem from 2014, where it didn't win its MAGS and may be overlooked because of it.

This was made in a month with animated Lego graphics and features time travel and all sorts of trouble to get back to the present day. I'd probably play it for the Lego alone, but there's also humour, devious puzzles that seem straightforward afterwards and a messed-up timeline spanning from prehistoric to the future, visiting seven (I think) time eras.

Creamy

Thanks Heltenjon. I was about to pick an old game too.

I haven't played this one. I can only remember one other AGS game made with with Legos. It was pretty crazy and featured Fred Astaire.

Creamy

heltenjon

I can make some suggestions, but I’ve picked some times now, so perhaps someone else ought to chime in.

M*A*S*H: The adventure game hits the feeling from the tv show very well and was well received by those who played it. Unfortunately, the spelling of the title may mean that it’s hard to find via search. Also, I proofread for this, so it may be too close to home for me to nominate. But I’d say it’s a pretty good game.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2515-m-a-s-h-point-n-click-adventure-game/

If this section is mostly about overlooked gems, then If on a Winter’s Night: Four Travelers probably doesn’t fit, as it was met with universal praise. Maybe the best AGS game ever. (Hell, best _game_ ever, if you ask me.)
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2520-if-on-a-winter-s-night-four-travelers/

If we’re looking for older games, then why not nominate ! by Ben304? It’s a minimalist masterpiece, with all the locations in comic book-like panels on a single screen. Great variety in the puzzles as well makes this a true classic.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1254--/

One game that really gets me in a good mood, is Slasher’s The Rat Pack Do Cheesy Castle. Short and easy MAGS entry, but all those music cuts about cheese really makes me smile when I think of it.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2256-the-rat-pack-do-cheesy-castle/

One of my all-time favourites is Elia, Alaria & The Kids Having a Good Time at the Beach (Or at least they try). It’s a short slice-of.life comedy as Elia have to make everyone ready to go. Beautiful Lorenzo art and hilarious Lorenzo humour equals a great playing experience.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2491--elia-ilaria-the-kids-having-a-good-time-at-the-sea-or-at-least-they-try-/

Creamy

Thank you Heltenjon.

QuoteI’ve picked some times now, so perhaps someone else ought to chime in.
I appreciate your concern. I also try not to pick all the games myself.
That's why I've used enthusiastic comments from the game pages lately - with the consent of their author.

There's no limit per person so here's the deal: I'll use one of your suggestions unless another proposition is made.

FormosaFalanster

Then I'll suggest Patchwork, I played it recently and I had a good time.

Creamy

Thanks for stepping in FormosaFalanster.

However Patchwork was already chosen in February 2013. The list of previous picks can be found here.

I'll gladly retain any other AGS game. Please write a little text to promote it.

FormosaFalanster

Then I'll suggest "Him": https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2055-him/

A deliciously dark and atmospheric short game, with an original twist, and graphics that look like the kind of horrible picture at the bottom of a chest that you are afraid to look at. Totally worths the trip!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk