[TEST] Custom Resolution build (based on 3.3.0 / 3.3.1)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 19/09/2013 18:05:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Yes, 1600x900 and 1280x720 are offered in Display > Screen Resolution. In fact they are highlighted. Weirdly, winsetup only shows the in-betweem resolutions which are not suited to a 16:9 display.

It works fine if I enter the values into the .cfg manually. Hope that helps!

Knox

Hi guys,

I hope its Ok to ask this, but I have to admit since learning the news that Crimson is leaving (btw thanks A LOT for all that you did!)...is this custom resolution build going to "stop" where it is? If so, it makes we a bit sad since Im not too sure now how I will continue my project (was hoping for limit removals too).

Does anyone know what will happen with this?:embarrassed:
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Stacy Davidson

I've been following this thread closely and I have actually begun to port Jack Houston and the Necronauts into the CustomRes branch. So far everything is working beautifully. The only issue I really have with it right now is the vsync. The scaling looks much better in D3D, but I really need to get rid of that screen tearing from the lack of vsync.

I'm really hoping this branch can be merged into the 3.4.0 and its features remain a part of AGS, as the 1080 resolution is critical for Jack Houston. Definitely waiting with bated breath to hear more. Thanks Crimson Wizard, this build is an AGS dream come true so far.

-s
-Stacy Davidson
Jack Houston and the Necronauts
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Problem

I second this. We're currently developing a high resolution game with this build, and we couldn't be happier with it. It works like charm. :)
It would be awesome if the official version had this feature, and if games that were created with this build would be compatible.
Fantastic work here, this is definitely a step forward for AGS.

Crimson Wizard

It's good to hear that it's working...
I was preparing to merge this feature to 3.3.1 before I, um, decided to stop. Now I see that it wasn't good timing :(.
I think I can finish this one at least. Just need some time.

Problem

No need to feel guilty Crimson Wizard, you've done so much for AGS, it's invaluable.
But yes, we'd be very grateful if this could be finished at some point. For now we're happily working with the custom build. Being able to design the game in any resolution, and even more important, being able to play it at any given resolution is just great.

Stacy Davidson

Just wondering, how many of you are currently testing this branch? Has anyone had any issues with it? I'm getting great results so far. Other than minor annoyances like not being able to zoom out in the room editor for these huge screens, it's working like a charm for me.
-Stacy Davidson
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Problem

We're still using it, and haven't had any problems whatsoever. It just works. :)

Stacy Davidson

Here's a screenshot from the new 1920x1080 AGS build of Jack Houston. Pretty amazing to see AGS looking this crisp!

-Stacy Davidson
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Dropped Monocle Games

Quote from: Stacy Davidson on Thu 10/04/2014 21:11:02
Here's a screenshot from the new 1920x1080 AGS build of Jack Houston. Pretty amazing to see AGS looking this crisp!
wow, this looks beautiful!

I have had a play around with the custom res build everything seems to work fine apart from maybe being able to zoom out more on the rooms in the editor would be nice (but I can live without that :D )
I really want to use it for our next game, widescreen and HD!! it looks amazing, but I agree about the v-sync!
its great work Crimson, thank you :)

Ralain

Hello fellow adventurers,

I started using the custom resolution build and i encountered an issue i can't get around.
My game is now in 1280x720 resolution.
I use Direct3d in 32bit color.
I have this Gui "gPocketPC" that's 210x350

Before I passed to the Custom Resolution Build this line of code was working to center my Gui:

Code: ags

//Center Gui
gPocketPC.SetPosition ((System.ViewportWidth/2-gpocket.Width/2), (System.ViewportHeight/2-gpocket.Height/2));

Now Ags can't start the game showing the message "GUI.X: co-ordinates specified are out of range"

It seems that above x coordinate 319 the problem appears..

I also have some problems understanding the native resolution for sprites, in the appearance properties.
I use the 640x400.. option for or else the Gui is too big.

I'm kind of a newb to Ags & scripting, maybe i missed something totally obvious?

P.S. Big thanks to Crimson & other developpers for their contribution to this excellent community

Crimson Wizard

Can you put those lines before that one and see what numbers will be displayed?

Display("x = %d, y = %d", System.ViewportWidth/2-gpocket.Width/2, System.ViewportHeight/2-gpocket.Height/2);

Ralain

Good evening Maester Crimson :)
Thank you for your reply.

After inserting your line the numbers displayed are x=535 and y=195

So the x should be right? 1280/2=640  210/2=105  > 640-105=  535
But as I mentioned, setting the x position of the Gui above value 319 is what gives the "out of range" message

Crimson Wizard

I made some research. It appears that before the first room is loaded, at the time of "game_start" call, the room size is considered to always be 320x200. All checks to room size made at that point check against that size.
This behavior is reprodicible in previous versions of AGS.

I guess there should not be such restriction for gui position at all (there's already an issue for this: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=444.0).

As a temporary workaround, reposition GUI only after first room is loaded.

Ralain

Thanks a lot, that did the trick.

I suppose i will have to put the code in every room then

edit:

I checked in my previous version (in build 3.2.1) , the code line was also in game start but there was no "out of range" issue > But that was because my game was 320x200
Now I understand why i thought it was related to the custom resolution build. Thanks again

Ralain

Here's a little pic of the culprit.

Your Ags magic is mezmerising, your impressively quick answers & help even more ;-D

Cheers!

monkey0506

Quote from: Ralain on Fri 11/04/2014 23:06:46I suppose i will have to put the code in every room then

Since player.PreviousRoom returns -1 for the first room the player enters, you can just use on_event for this.

// GlobalScript.asc

function on_event(EventType event, int data)
{
  if (event == eEventEnterRoomBeforeFadein)
  {
    if (player.PreviousRoom == -1)
    {
      // player entering the very first room upon loading the game
      // do stuff here
    }
  }
}

Ralain

Thanks Monkey_05_06,

I'll look into that soon enough :)

For now, I have to sort an issue with GUI double clicks...(a friend of mine, Fitbo, posted our issue ->   Topic: Double Click on Button)

After that I'll study and use your advice.

Much appreciated!

Calin Leafshade

EDIT: Nevermind, found the error.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk