[TEST] Custom Resolution build (based on 3.3.0 / 3.3.1)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 19/09/2013 18:05:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Problem

I just tested our game (1280x800, big alpha blended sprites) on an 8 years old office PC with onboard graphics and a 4:3 monitor. As expected, it worked, but it was too slow. However, scaled down to 800x600 (with sideborders) it was running smoothly and was perfectly playable.
So yeah, I just wanted to say how nice it is that the custom resolution build can run a game at lower resolutions than it was designed for. And how nice it is that this actually works as intended. ;-D

Stacy Davidson

So, is it still looking like this branch will be able to merge at some point? I'm getting pretty far developing with it and I thought I should probably ask to make sure that the intent at least is that taking my 3.3.0 RC project into a later merged branch will still be feasible.
-Stacy Davidson
Jack Houston and the Necronauts
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Stacy Davidson on Tue 22/04/2014 00:46:21
So, is it still looking like this branch will be able to merge at some point? I'm getting pretty far developing with it and I thought I should probably ask to make sure that the intent at least is that taking my 3.3.0 RC project into a later merged branch will still be feasible.
I will copy latest 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 changes into this branch soon.
But I still want to remake this for "official" 3.3.1 in a slightly different way.
(it should still remain compatible)

frenzykitty

I'm so excited to see how this all comes together!

Crimson Wizard

I didn't have much free time lately, but I will try to get back to this after a short while.

Stacy Davidson

Awesome! Just making sure I was on the same page. You're doing great CW, thanks for all your hard work. We all owe you much gratitude!
-Stacy Davidson
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

frenzykitty

Agree with Stacy! You are breathing new life into AGS and we are all incredibly grateful to you for that!

Knox

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 22/04/2014 10:04:55
But I still want to remake this for "official" 3.3.1 in a slightly different way.

Ok so eventually this branch will no longer exist because it will be merged completely into 3.3.1? If so...very cool! :smiley:
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

frenzykitty

Quote from: Knox on Wed 23/04/2014 16:29:28
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 22/04/2014 10:04:55

Ok so eventually this branch will no longer exist because it will be merged completely into 3.3.1? If so...very cool! :smiley:

That would be paradise.

frenzykitty

Has anyone successfully built completed projects using this build? Want to investigate how safe it is before starting a project :)

Stacy Davidson

I've ported most of Jack Houston over to it with no problems at all.  Also verified it on Linux and it runs fine.
-Stacy Davidson
Warbird Games
www.warbirdgames.com

Ali

I've built a side project from scratch using it, with only a few editor-based glitches (which I've mentioned earlier in the thread). There are some performance issues, but I've experienced no stability problems.

frenzykitty

Do you think the vSync issue will be a realtively straightforward fix? :=

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: frenzykitty on Tue 29/04/2014 10:35:43
Already fixed in 3.3.1 branch.

frenzykitty

That's great, but does that branch have your delicious custom resolutions? :D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 29/04/2014 13:09:37
Quote from: frenzykitty on Tue 29/04/2014 10:35:43
Already fixed in 3.3.1 branch.
Quote from: frenzykitty on Tue 29/04/2014 13:52:52
That's great, but does that branch have your delicious custom resolutions? :D

I was saying that it is already known how to fix this.

Also, I said earlier that I plan to copy latest 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 changes into this version.

frenzykitty

Crimson Wizard

Just a small notification; I was rather busy lately, I tried to combine latest 3.3.0 and 3.3.1 branches with custom resolutions, but there were certain points that required attention (because some parts of code are conflicting). Unfortunately I am leaving the city for the couple of weeks and do not have time to test results.

I should be back around the beginning of June, then I'll make those updates.

Mehrdad

Thanks a lot CW. We are waiting for this great update :) 
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

frenzykitty

Thanks CW! Have a great trip! And thanks again for all the amazing time and energy you are putting in to AGS! Looking forward to the update

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk