[TEST] Custom Resolution build (based on 3.3.0 / 3.3.1)

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 19/09/2013 18:05:19

Previous topic - Next topic

declerfayt

Thanks so much for this addon Crimson Wizard. I used for about 2 months now, and it's stable. No single crach or any problem using it. 1080p graphics rocks! :-D
Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Play free beta // Video trailer // Website

declerfayt

One observation though: to make my game's trailer, I've video captured the game with Camatasia while I was playing it. Full-screen capture leads to a black video, although windowed capture worked perfectly. Do you think is it because of the Custom Resolution Build or would it happen also with the canonical 3.3.0? Or maybe the problem came from Camatasia and my PC?
Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Play free beta // Video trailer // Website

Crimson Wizard

Merged custom resolutions build with 3.3.0 update1 (of 1st May 2014):
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1j4yu57gi46w2r/CustomRes_3_3_0_update1.7z
Also updated links in the first post.

I'll try to make a version merged with early-3.3.1 in following days (I don't think there will be any problems).

Quote from: declerfayt on Wed 28/05/2014 00:46:45
One observation though: to make my game's trailer, I've video captured the game with Camatasia while I was playing it. Full-screen capture leads to a black video, although windowed capture worked perfectly. Do you think is it because of the Custom Resolution Build or would it happen also with the canonical 3.3.0? Or maybe the problem came from Camatasia and my PC?
I have no idea, sorry.

Calin Leafshade

When will this be merged with master so the ports can take advantage of it?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sun 22/06/2014 23:05:43
When will this be merged with master so the ports can take advantage of it?
This is already merged with master (technically), just not in the "official" repository:
https://github.com/ivan-mogilko/ags-refactoring/tree/dirty_custom_resolutions

Regarding "official" version, some time ago I decided to rewrite the code to make things bit cleaner and slightly different way; I am in the process of doing so.
Also, mobile ports require updating OpenGL renderer, which is still incomplete. (OTOH, they may still work if no scaling filter used)

Mehrdad

Thanks a lot CW.This version is a big revolution in AGS.
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

Crimson Wizard

Preliminary version based on 3.3.1 alpha.
Warning: 3.3.1 contains new features and had not yet underwent much public testing.
Includes Vertical Sync option for D3D9 driver in winsetup.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i7bfqk5196azqhb/CustomRes_3_3_1_alpha1.7z
No-MP3 version of the engine:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cac7brkaxz4f8dq/CustomRes_3_3_1_alpha1_nomp3.7z
The complete source code contained in my personal branch here:
https://github.com/ivan-mogilko/ags-refactoring/tree/dirty_custom_resolutions_331

(Links also added to the first post).

Problem

Thanks, Crimson Wizard! I just gave it a go, and so far everything seems to work. :)

Knox

Quote from: declerfayt on Wed 28/05/2014 00:46:45

I have the same problem currently as well. Windowed mode the video plays fine, but in fullscreen the screen remains black. My game is 1600x900, the video is 1024x768 wmv.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

David Ostman

I don't think it's an issue with AGS. As far as I know, Camtasia was never meant to record games, so it won't record them unless you use the mentioned workaround of Windowed mode.

There's dedicated software to record games, such as Fraps, Bandicam, and dxtory. These should all work fine in full screen.

orient

I downloaded the '3.3.0 Update 1' build but I'm struggling to completely understand it. I've read this whole thread but to no avail. Am I correct in thinking that this build does not increase the native game resolution options located in General Settings?

So you can now set your window to HD resolutions in winsetup, but the game itself is still limited to a max of 1024x768? Sorry for the noob question, but I've been trying all sorts -- importing 720p backgrounds, messing around with winsetup and getting all kinds of weird results / crashes.

Thanks a lot.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: orient on Sun 27/07/2014 03:32:01
I downloaded the '3.3.0 Update 1' build but I'm struggling to completely understand it. I've read this whole thread but to no avail. Am I correct in thinking that this build does not increase the native game resolution options located in General Settings?
"Custom Resolutions" and "3.3.0 Update 1" builds are not the same. "Custom resolutions" version allows to select any native resolution. That's why they are distributed separately. You can download CR using links in the first post of this very thread.
Currently there are two alternatives: a CR version based on "3.3.0 update 1" and CR version based on "3.3.1 alpha".

Quote from: orient on Sun 27/07/2014 03:32:01
Sorry for the noob question, but I've been trying all sorts -- importing 720p backgrounds, messing around with winsetup and getting all kinds of weird results / crashes.
If you have any crashes, please report them, there might be a bug.

orient

Thanks CW, now I understand :) I got 720p working straight away, but I'm getting some very strange behaviour when I open winsetup. The window closes by itself after about 10 seconds, then reopens, sometimes a couple of times, then I get the error "This program might not have installed correctly. If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows". I'm using Windows 7. I've never had this problem before with AGS, although I have just installed a new anti-virus program, Avast. I might have to disable it and see if that makes a difference because it has been causing some other problems.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: orient on Mon 28/07/2014 11:24:00I'm getting some very strange behaviour when I open winsetup. The window closes by itself after about 10 seconds, then reopens, sometimes a couple of times, then I get the error "This program might not have installed correctly. If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows".
I am getting those messages for every AGS game I download in zip file (without installer)... answering "It's installed correctly" solves this.
I think this is simply a part of Windows protection against potentially dangerous downloads.

Gurok

It's the Program Compatibility Assistant. It's possible to turn it off (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/70829-program-compatibility-assistant-enable-disable.html), but the real question is why AGS games are being detected as installers.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

DoorKnobHandle

It's not the games for me usually, it's winsetup.exe so my guess is because it has the word setup in the name?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Mon 28/07/2014 14:00:30
It's not the games for me usually, it's winsetup.exe so my guess is because it has the word setup in the name?
Yes :)
I took a random program and renamed executable to "setup.exe". Upon exiting, Windows displayed the message :).

I wonder, if Windows expects particular return value or something?

Radiant

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Mon 28/07/2014 14:00:30

Seriously?

Come on microsoft, that is completely silly.

Knox

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but is it a normal editor behavior when an error happens while testing the game and the call stack pops up but closes the output window? It seems then that informative error messages don't get displayed at all making it hard to know what went wrong other than getting the line that causes the error (via the stack window).
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Knox on Thu 07/08/2014 17:23:47
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but is it a normal editor behavior when an error happens while testing the game and the call stack pops up but closes the output window? It seems then that informative error messages don't get displayed at all making it hard to know what went wrong other than getting the line that causes the error (via the stack window).
Hmm, can it be that the stack window simply overlays message window? When this happens try unpinning the Stack window and moving it around. Also, check "Window" menu and try turning "Output" on & off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk