Sepulchre *Spoilers*

Started by selmiak, Fri 20/09/2013 21:06:45

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

So what are these huge bags?
The first obvious thought that comes to my mind are coffins.
But maybe they are more. Like a symbol for the train where our hero is trapped alone like in a coffin. When travelling in a moving coffin like the train you have your whole life stuffed into a bag, like all your life, your good deeds and sins get stuffed into a coffin on your final travel.
But maybe I'm missing the bigger picture with all these creepy characters like the garbeling man and the barkeeper that is not there (who reminds me of shining a lot), what's your opinion.
Is the hero dead already or just crazy?

Ibispi

That guy that's sick, can not talk and needs friends probably in some way represents what is happening with the protagonist. It shows his loneliness.
In the end he mentions a woman named Katarina, who is probably his lost love and/or wife.
The train represents his whole life and all the people he knew died at some point, and then he died in the end.
The character at the bar maybe is his conscience and is warning him not to drink, even though he really wants to.
I am not sure what does the "ticket guy" mean, and what is his meaning in the game. He is very misterious.
And I don't really understand the whole "Victorian Death" thing; is it just there cause it is creepy? I don't know.

And then there are these huge black bags with human corpses.

I think the whole game is about life and death, and how we burry people - and this game captures that in an maybe apsurd way, using horror elements.
I see this game as a work of art. It can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

This is just my opinion of Selpuchre.

Thaumaturge

My guess is that the protagonist, and all of the others that he meets on the train, are dead from before the start.

Specifically, I think that the train is a sort of halfway-state for the dead that don't realise -- or won't accept -- their death.

As for the bags, while I'm not quite sure of how to fully explain them, my guess is that once a given spirit accepts their death they either become or are encased in a bag -- to be delivered somewhere, perhaps?

Our protagonist seems to have done something for which he feels remorse, and is perhaps holding on to that, and in doing so is unconsciously rejecting his own death. Over the course of the game events play out such that he slowly comes to realise his state; meanwhile, the other spirits are doing similarly, accepting their deaths -- or their lives -- and so being encased in the bags one by one. In the end our protagonist fully understands his death and gives the apology that has been holding him back, allowing him to accept "moving on".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk