Bug Walk

Started by jwalt, Fri 18/10/2013 03:04:16

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

I'd been trying to rig a bug (Silverfish) that I made in sPatch. Had some problems with my sPatch model, so tried again, this time in Anim8or. Here it is:

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/testAniBug1_zps564ea410.gif[/imgzoom]

A web search indicates there are two types of walks for this kind of critter. This was one of them. I might try for the other one in a day or so. Mainly concerned about the motion, but if you want to rip apart the model, that's okay, too.

selmiak

I'm no expert for bug motion (yet) but I'd try to make him lift the 2nd pair of legs right when the first pair hits the ground again, otherwise he will move back the first pair of legs, which means motion forewards for the whole bug (when the animation is not staying in the same place like in this example) and thus he drags the 2nd pair of legs over the ground for a little while before lifting the second pair of legs. With 6 legs this is a really complex walkcycle, would a snail also work as a replacement? ;)
about the bug model iteself, you can see that it is a bug but it looks very robotic. The head, the eyes the antennas make it look like calculon from futurama or so. What make it look even more robotic is that the motion of the body seems independent from the motion of the legs. The legs are the things moving and should drag the body around and thus the body should be moving less than it is atm. Also the head could bump up and down with the motion and this wiggles the antennas accordingly. Same for the tail. The legs have 2 more joints than just the connection to the body, make use of them wisely.

jwalt

Thanks, Selmiak, for the feedback. I got some unexpected results when I tried smoothing the model. I've made the eyes rounder in the current iteration of the model, and I think I can also subdivide the antennas, and round them up a little, too. I've got bones in the antenna, so I can wiggle them, a bit, but was more interested in seeing what the walk looked like. I've got bones in the lower leg segments, too, but didn't use them for this. The stuff I found indicated three legs stay on the ground, in tripod fashion, while the other three move forward, either in unison, or in sequence. This cycle moves them in unison (my inention, anyway).
     I've also heard the robot comment outside the forum, so looks like I should move this model into an SF folder.  ;-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk