[Freeware!] AGS game ported to Android: Only the Good Die Young!

Started by .M.M., Tue 01/10/2013 14:37:17

Previous topic - Next topic

.M.M.

A game created in Adventure Game Studio is now available for every Android device!

What makes it different from all the other Android games?

• It has an interesting storyline with two different endings - not just another hero's attempt to save the world once again.
  • Player either talk to or kill many NPCs while completing all the sidequests, which range from stealing guns to play-acting.
  • Sometimes, even the sidequests have more than one solution!
  • Collect more than 45 items and practice your skills from three branches to survive in the hostile desert.
  • The game has a challening difficulty - with four levels: if it's too much of a challenge for someone!
  • There are two switchable control modes.
Try it out and see for yourself!

Big thanks to JJS for his AGS engine Android port, which has created great possibilites for everyone using AGS!

link to Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigbluecup.android.onlythegoodrpg

The game is now freeware - however, you can donate money via PayPal if you want to support the author!
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=DNWFABHA9PBJW

monkey0506

I saw that you got a negative review. I've had some reports with older Android versions of the game not starting properly, I'm curious if it could be related (as I'm not entirely certain of the root cause as yet). I also noted that your app says it supports Android 2.0+. Did you write your own expansion downloader? Because the Google-provided Downloader library doesn't support older Android versions than 2.3.

Joseph DiPerla

With some of the latest builds from the repository, some of the config options in the manifest require sdk13(android 3.1). Im thinking thats whats going on here... maybe...
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

monkey0506

The engine library doesn't define any config options. The only one the launcher app uses that requires SDK 13 (which is Android 3.2) is "screenSize". The documentation states:

Quote from: Android DocsHowever, if your application targets API level 12 or lower, then your activity always handles this configuration change itself.

I could be wrong, but this seems to indicate that the option is ignored for lower SDK versions. In fact, my app that is in beta testing has been confirmed to run on Android 2.3, but I have had some reports that it won't start right away, and must be switched away from and back to start the game. If that's in any way related, then...well, I'll look into it.

.M.M.

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 01/10/2013 19:16:06
I saw that you got a negative review. I've had some reports with older Android versions of the game not starting properly, I'm curious if it could be related (as I'm not entirely certain of the root cause as yet). I also noted that your app says it supports Android 2.0+. Did you write your own expansion downloader? Because the Google-provided Downloader library doesn't support older Android versions than 2.3.
The negative review seemed to me as a problem with downloading the expansion file, yes. I created the downloader activity, but I use Google downloader library - the minumum version specified there is Android 1.6, I had to specify the minimum version 2.0 because of the interface created for the game. But I didn't have any opportunity to test it on lower version than 2.3.4. Also I used version of AGS Android port that is about one year old.

Stupot

It's a bit cuntish of people to give a negative review based on a technical issue when there's a link to 'contact the developer' on the same page.

DazJ

.M.M.

Quote from: DazJ on Thu 03/10/2013 17:07:10
What resolution is this running at?
640x480, but there are options to stretch the game screen inherited from the AGS Android port.

monkey0506

The bit about the Downloader library was a mistake on my part. An older version of that library was released with the wrong min SDK version, but it's been fixed and the min SDK is 4 (Android 1.6) for that library. I am limiting to SDK 9 (Android 2.3) for other reasons.

And Stupot, I'm not sure if you're aware of how Google Play store reviews work, but each Google Account can only have one active review/rating for each app. So giving a negative rating and review is common practice for users who are "waiting for a fix" (with the assumption being that if they get the issue resolved they will then replace the negative review with a positive one). Granted, it could be seen as, well, premature, but it also serves as a sort of warning system. Many people don't want to have to immediately wait for tech support for something they just bought, so ground-level issues are likely to incur refunds for these people if the reviews hadn't deterred them from buying.

Stupot

@Monkey. I guess it makes kind of sense when you put it like that, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable putting such a dent in someone's public rating until I had actually tried sorting it out privately first. Oh well :/

monkey0506

Heh, I get where you're coming from. I'm not the type to generally write reviews anyway. It would be nice for people to contact the developers first to see what's going on, but for some people the negative review is their way of contacting the dev (it's a lot easier than the Stone Age technology formerly known as "e-mail" (roll)). I generally agree with your sentiment, but for all intents and purposes, this is the Internet we're talking about. :=

.M.M.

Well, I replied him, told him how he could propably fix the problem and he hasn't changed his rating nor written anything more...
And if you have tried the game - what do you think? Are the controls good enough for comofortable gameplay? Are the fonts well readable? Is the framerate fast enough? Any related infromation will help!

.M.M.

Sorry for grave-digging this thread, but I believe I have a good reason - the game is now freeware!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk