MAGS October: "Friendship" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Tue 01/10/2013 16:51:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Friendship'

This month's guidelines were set by Adeel S. Ahmed & Oldschool_Wolf:

This time, the theme should be: Friendship. We're not going to explain the theme (it's pretty self-explanatory). We're going to leave it for you fellow AGSers to decipher. :)

Note: This month, by request, RoN resources are allowed to be used if you wish: http://realityonthenorm.info/resources.html

Ending 31st October

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Saltwater Taffy

Yay! Super pumped to get started :D i'm a mega noob at AGS though so I hope my entry is playable :-[

Retro Wolf

Just keep things simple Saltwater Taffy, also the AGS community is here to help!
Good luck with your project!

Edit: I know a couple of people wanted a Halloween theme this month, i'm kicking myself that I didn't at least discuss the possibility with Adeel.
But I don't see why Halloween couldn't be incorporated into the game. A couple of trick or treater pals perhaps? ;)

Saltwater Taffy

Since the theme is Friendship I thought it'd be really cool to have the friend tag alongside the main character throughout the game similar to Educating Adventures with Girl and Rabbit. Or would that be way too complicated to impliment for a first timer? Just wondering before I start fleshing out the concept  :X I've only actually fiddled around with the AGS program for a few days now.

Retro Wolf

That is quite easy to do. I'd go into more detail but I can't in this part of the forum!

Looking forward to seeing how many people participate!

Saltwater Taffy

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Tue 01/10/2013 18:17:31
That is quite easy to do. I'd go into more detail but I can't in this part of the forum!

Looking forward to seeing how many people participate!
Good to know! I'll start a topic on it in the AGS Support forum when I get to that stage. Now I can get started on my game with that element in mind n.n hope it works out! I will keep everyone posted on my process. Cheers! 8-)

Adeel

Welcome Saltwater Taffy. I'm glad to see you here :). I hope/pray/wish/wonder that you finish your game within the deadline.

From now on, I'll be haunting this thread. I may not be able to post replies owing to my engagements but I'll try my best. :)

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Tue 01/10/2013 17:39:20
[...] Edit: I know a couple of people wanted a Halloween theme this month, i'm kicking myself that I didn't at least discuss the possibility with Adeel.
But I don't see why Halloween couldn't be incorporated into the game. A couple of trick or treater pals perhaps? ;)

Sorry. Never in my mind it occurred that we should be discussing about Halloween. I know that Halloween starts in some week of October but as it's our neither religious nor regional festival. It wasn't my top priority. I'm sorry that I didn't put it forward.

Also, I'd like to argue that why is it October only that gets associated with Horror? Can't October be friendly? Besides, the theme is pretty loose so anyone who wants to include horror can do freely while relieving the other participants from the necessity to include the horror. It's up to the participant entirely.

Quote from: Saltwater Taffy on Tue 01/10/2013 17:52:21
Since the theme is Friendship I thought it'd be really cool to have the friend tag alongside the main character throughout the game similar to Educating Adventures with Girl and Rabbit. Or would that be way too complicated to impliment for a first timer? Just wondering before I start fleshing out the concept  :X I've only actually fiddled around with the AGS program for a few days now.

While the friend tagging along as a sidekick is a very good idea and widely used with great success. Remember guys, it isn't necessary to tag a friend along with your main protagonist. The story can be something about the two friends living at distance, or a friend remembering his/her dead friend or one of the two friend is terribly sick or how the once close friends become enemies. Also, it isn't necessary that there should be two friends only. There can be many of them. But :sealed:, I'm not going to say anything because the way you decipher the theme is up to participant (you) entirely. :)

blenderhead

i assume if we use the RoN resources we have to make it a RoN game ?

Retro Wolf

Not if you don't want to. You could just use sprites as a base if you like.

TGames

I'll participate, If anyone would like to help with character art pm me

Adeel

Ah! I'm quite glad that Oldschool_Wolf is responding very quickly. I'm not worried now, I know he'll always be there to help :). Because as I said before, I may not be able to reply (due to my engagements) but I'll be watching this thread.

Quote from: TGames on Wed 02/10/2013 00:08:23
I'll participate, If anyone would like to help with character art pm me

Excellent. If you've any questions regarding the rules, please feel free to ask.

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Tue 01/10/2013 22:27:58
Not if you don't want to. You could just use sprites as a base if you like.

I would really love to play some RON games, though. :D

Arcangel

Today I write the intro and 75% plot. For a small and easy game for October, Topic: 'Friendship'. Hope finish backgrounds and characters.8-)

TGames

I have actually decided to do my own character art. If I just rely on others to help, I'll never do it on my own.

Radiant

Isn't it ironic to do a game about friendship without help from your friends? :grin:

Saltwater Taffy

I have no friends *cries profusely* :(

TGames

I've got most of the story down for my game. You'll be able to play as two people and throughout your journey you will...
High five your bud
ride unicorns
get captured and escape from the fairy king

Saltwater Taffy

Quote from: TGames on Thu 03/10/2013 03:31:21
I've got most of the story down for my game. You'll be able to play as two people and throughout your journey you will...
High five your bud
ride unicorns
get captured and escape from the fairy king
God damn it your game already seems cooler than mine D: I was also going to go with a fantasy-esque setting BUT NOW I GOTTA REWRITE EVERYTHING.

Retro Wolf

It's kind of like going to a party and you're both wearing the same dress!

Good to know it's all stations go! I demand to see some artwork though. :)

Adeel

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Thu 03/10/2013 10:55:15
[...] I demand to see some artwork though. :)
Isn't it a bit ironic to demand artwork so early, when we ourselves didn't show it till the very end? ;)

Retro Wolf

I'd say it's more selfish than ironic! (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk