Monty the Komodo Dragon

Started by Fitz, Thu 03/10/2013 01:04:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

No, he's not an actual dragon. He's just a lizard. A very, VERY big lizard. He's also a husband to a loving wife and a father to a lovable child. As a dutiful housekeeper, he is the one providing for his family. His ever hungry and glutonous family...

So, he sets out on an exciting, dangerous quest for food. He'll visit many places and face many, many dangers -- and some downright atrocities, too.

Yes, all in-game graphics are made using pictures of animals, animal parts, animal products -- and various excretions.

Also, Monty is voiced by yours truly. It's one thing to impersonate Matt Berry channeling Gandalf -- conveying feelings through grunts exclusively is a whole other story!

Aaaanyway...

DOWNLOAD THE GAME

Fizzii

The sounds were really really amusing :) And the end was very funny!

selmiak

Adeel

Wow! This is the level of polish I were expecting from you. You've my vote for this MAGS. :)

The game is totally hilarious (laugh). The sounds were amusing and increased the overall fun experience. Animations were also very funny. Ending? It served as a punch line :D. Here is the father trying to explain something not knowing that his family knows more. Oh, the poor man dragon! (laugh)

This is another fine gem you've produced, Fitz and that too within very short amount of time. Well done! ;-D

This game is not only enjoyable for kids, it is enjoyable for adults as well!

Keep up the good work. Congratulations to you and your team. :)

Spoiler
Should I tell you now that when I read about the Komodo Dragons for the first time and saw their photos, I really liked them? Well, I think yes. This is the best time to reveal my love for them to the whole world :D! Please save them from extinction.
[close]

Sephiroth

The cool animations and scenes add a lot to the game, it was fun and I really enjoyed it, you've worked hard for this MAGS and it was well worth it! The sfx rock 8-)

Congratulations Fitz!

Fitz

Thanks, guys :) Glad you enjoyed the game! I had so much fun making it, different bits of it. I even took some extra time to flesh out the sequence of logos in the beginning, the different versions of what AGS stands for being my favotire (laugh)

Many, many thanks to Sephiroth, I couldn't possibly do 3/4 of the crazy things without his coding skills. And Tabata's skill in finding bugs was unparalelled, as always!

And Adeel, your fondness of the Komodo dragon is completely understandable. While they are big, scary and their saliva contains so many bacteria that their victims die from infection rather than the bite itself -- but how can anyone NOT feel for a creature of such emotional depth?

The melancholy in his eyes...

Tabata

A story taken from life and very creative implemented in an unusual style.
Amusing game with clever use of symbols for international language and the „voice-acting“ of Fitz himself is awesome.
Despite the short timeline there are some nice little entertaining extra gags to be discovered. Those can be missed easily since they are not needed to finish the game.

A lot of effort went into it to reach a quality you won't find that often in a MAGS-game. 
Very well done!   

Retro Wolf

Adeel

Casted my vote... :)

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Fri 04/10/2013 09:28:48
Nice work Fitz, easily the winner this month!

+1 :).

Quote from: Fitz on Thu 03/10/2013 19:49:30
[...] how can anyone NOT feel for a creature of such emotional depth?

They are big, scary and prefer to keep bacterial saliva. But that doesn't stop them from being adorable (laugh). Why is something which is furry, fluffy and small only gets to labeled as adorable? ;) Maybe its the shape of their face which makes it look like they are smiling or their scaly body. The fact is, they are adorable and will remain adorable. :D

Spoiler
[close]

Oh look at this beauty! Resting like a boss ;-D.

sthomannch

Great game!
Gave me a big laugh. Good puzzles, nice graphics and animations.

Fitz

Tabata: yeah, I tend to keep the main quest very simple in my games :) In Gray I used probably the most washed-out trope -- but in Monty I think I hit the most basic mission in life overall, common to both humans and animals: to provide for your family. Once I started thinking of a good story for the game, I ended up thinking of at least three ideas for a game featuring Monty, but this one struck me as the most sympathetic.

Oldschool_Wolf: Thanks! I like your idea for the new MAGS, too -- but I don't think I could handle two MAGS in a row ;) Loved the experience, though. It feels SO good to work on something so fun -- and then to release it! :)

Adeel: Komodo dragons are the dachshunds of the reptile world: they look so sad, but that's what's cute about them ;) Crocodiles, on the other hand, are like huskies: always smiling and cheerful.

sthomannch: Glad you liked it! :) I hope to make more Monty games in the future: one that might be an expansion of this little story, and then some others that I came up with. Meanwhile, you might like my other game, Gray (see link in my signature).

Limony

I'm stuck! Any hints?
Spoiler
The tree dropped a black "coconut" and there is a swarm of flies around it.
[close]

Igor Hardy

I love how went for a totally different visual style than Gray, but one just as striking.

Tabata

@ Limony
It's an adventure â€" sometimes you need to go on to get new items or manipulate them or to get an idea of what can be done next to succeed ;)
Spoiler
Have you already discovered the other „island“ (to the left from where you are now)?
[close]

Fitz

Limony: Like Tabata said, there's more to discover farther left -- BUT you can also grab a few flies and use them later as you like. That might provide some hints as to what to do, ultimately.

Ascovel: Thanks :) Making it felt quite different from Gray, too, since I was working with vectorized cutouts of various photos (Monty himself consisted of bits and pieces five or six different specimen). It was fun switching to 800x600 like that, too. I'm glad I managed to squeeze in my trademark blue, red, orange and cream in there (though that was actually pretty much a last-minute decision). And some pixel-by-pixel handiwork was still involved, as I manually un-dithered each and every frame ;) The backgrounds, though, were fun fun fun -- and they are the reason why I want to expand the story of Monty futher in future mini-games or a longer game (much like you did with Snakes), with more "themed" rooms, especially different renditions of the sea. We'll see! Right now, I'm still trying to stabilize my sleep patterns after sleeping about 1,5 hours on the release day ;)

Limony

Spoiler
I had already discovered the other island. When you say pick up a few flies I can assure you I had already tried clicking the swarm many times. But after clicking like mad in the area I finally managed to catch a fly.
[close]

Fitz

OK then, here's a more detailed series of hints. Click to reveal more if you're having trouble:

Head back to the island on the far left and
Spoiler
try giving the skeleton hand to one of its inhabitants. I mean
Spoiler
the big one. You'll notice something changed about the arm. It'll come very handy (pun intended). Using it
Spoiler
you can now catch yourself a bunch of flies
[close]
[close]
[close]

Remember that you can click on -- and use your inventory on -- everything that makes your cursor (the larva) light up (you'll notice the yellow dots on glow stronger when you hover it over the more prominent objects). Just for fun, you might also try going back to your cave and give whatever you've found to your family. After all, it is your main mission to find food for them :)

Limony

Thanks, I already got that. And I
Spoiler
Caught a frog. I'm thinking I have to catch the snake or the monkey (?) with the frog, but I just can't do it. My family doesn't want the frog.
[close]

I guess I'm no good at this, I might need another hint.

Sephiroth

It is more simple than that.
Spoiler
Have you tried using the frog attached to the bone in a more regular way? Like you know, you're on a boat, looking for food, and just found a bait.
[close]
Have fun :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk