Rebel Spy - A Prelude to Hope

Started by Darth Mandarb, Wed 19/03/2003 05:32:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Varsity

I like!  It looks good, I couldnt really notice the hip glitch until you mentioned it. :)  The characters look good.  I think the Main character looks great, but it might look better with something more original to set him apart(IMO), I think # 3 looks good.  I am really looking forward to this game now, looks good, you are a great artist. ( i draw like a 5 yr old)    Overall I like it alot! :) :)

LordHart

Varsity

Maybe ...  :o   hehe, really i suck at drawing, free hand that is... going to post some drawings of my game in production :) so you can see my so called "Skills".

Joseph DiPerla

SO hows the progress on this game, I really am looking forward to it?

Joey
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Nacho

WOW! Nice preview! I was thinking in making a Staw Wars game, but I decided not to do because of Fear on LEC lawyers. Now I am happy not doing that because YOUR ARE TEH MAN! I love the art.

P.S. I think that the TIE interceptor was produced after the Battle of Yavin, in fact it is an advance of Vader's  TIE Advanced prototype. I'm not sure, but you may leave the TIE-I for the seconf part of the game...

Anyway--- Darth Mandarb's SW will rock!!!
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Mats Berglinn

Darth-Mandarb, the force is with you.  ;) But there is some things that I wonder. Will Boba Fett appear in the game? How are you going to make the music simliar to John Williams? I mean, it's quite tough to do it without a whole classical-music orcestra and if you are going to get one, you may pay through the nose to make them do it. Also it wouldn't be possible to convince John Williams without him expected to be payed, I mean, he is very good at conducting (he made music to a lot for movies, not only to Star Wars 1, 2, soon 3, 4, 5 and 6 but also Jaws and the Indiana Jones movies (some other movies maybe, I don't know) so he is very good at conducting. I wonder also, what kind of aliens will appear? I would like to see dugs (Sebulba from Phantom Menance is a dug), gungans (not a clumsy one like Jar-Jar even if I liked him), Wookies, Hutts, Twi-leeks (Those who have head-tails), kaminoians and those aliens that is Greedo's kind (you know, the guy who got shot by Han Solo in the Cantina in Mos Eisley). I'm seeing foward to this. May the force be with you.

Darth Mandarb

I was kind of hoping, for the next couple of weeks, that my post of 'in progress' for Rebel Spy would have stayed buried before I chose to dig it up.

I am still working on this, and will finish it, but unfortunately the real world stepped in and I got four new clients at once and am absolutely swamped with work.  But worry not my Star Wars fans!  I will finish this game!

Mats Berglinn - Thanks for the very descriptive Star Wars information ;D ;D  I wasn't planning on using Boba Fett, but you just never know who will show up!  Also, as far as aliens go I'll probably stick with what's in the original Trilogy for now.  Hutts, Twi'leks, Rodians (greedo), Hammerhead (can't think of species), etc.  But again, you never know ... I'm going to use pre-existing Star Wars music.  If LEC lawyers want to come after me they're welcome to ;D

Farlander - Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the bit about the TIE interceptor.  I didn't even think about that!  It's my favorite imperial ship, so perhaps it will show up in the sequel to Rebel Spy :)

Thanks to all!  And of course, May the Force be with you!!

Jimi

Nacho

Thanks Darth for paying attention to mi bit. The only think I wanted not to seem was one of these guys whose critisice a project without giving new ideas. I see you got my point, thanks.

I have also a big enciclopedia with many Star Wars files, so don't doubt in asking me if you have a little doubt, I'll take a look to my "files" to see what can I find. I am not one of that crazy guys whose know each little fact published in every little SW magazine, but I'd be happy to help.

Nacho

Pheeew... I forgot some things... My favourite imperial Star Wars Imperial fighter is also the TIE/I. As you can see in my avatar, I am an X-wing and tie-fighter "ace"  ;D

The problesm is that TIE fighters are not shielded... They rely in their number to beat the odds. The attempt to change this was a failure because Rebels stole the plans for the new imperial fighter (which will be the rebel X-wing). It could be an idea for the storyline also, because the stealing of the Death Star's plans is a very know issue at the SW enciclopedia. I'd like whatever stuff you will do, but the "purists" could find "inconsistency", as Ultimo said.

Darth Mandarb

Farlander - I have that encyclopedia too.  It's a great reference source.  I have decided that I'm basically going to discount the EU (Expanded Universe) and just stick with what's in the movies themselves.  I am a fan of the EU, but I'm a bigger fan of the movies themselves.  I feel pretty confident in my story, but if I come across some point I don't know for sure I'll call on you for help :)  Thanks!

Jimi - The story is 100% complete.  I have every room/scene/act all planned out.  What points are available, what actions you can do, what items/objects you can pick up, etc.  I have very little of the game art completed.  I'm still trying to decide on the actual style I want to use for the gameplay.  Most of the art you see in this post will be for cuts scenes (they're just too big for in game stuff).

I've got the rest of this week to finish up my work (for my company ... not for Rebel Spy :) ), and then I'm headed to Florida to visit with my folks (and go on a cruise with some friends) but after the cruise I'm hanging out in FL for a few weeks where I'll have all the time in the world to work on Rebel Spy.  So in two weeks I'll be posting more stuff up here.  I've been aching to get back to working on this.

One style I was thinking of making this game is like this: Possible Style.  This would be for the big, outter areas.  (the top picture, and my characters won't look like those characters).  The individual rooms would be more side scrolling type of rooms like this: MrMasse's Reactor Room.  I think combining these two styles into one game could be very effective.

dm

Jimi

Have you decided what style interface you are using? I recommend Lucas Arts MI style.

Nacho

Aaaaahhh! I'm happy... I agree with your policy of relying just in the movies if it's possible, because there is a lot of stuff that spares in the SW universe if you look to all the publications. I am happy because I see you've planned this well and this is not going to dissapoind nobody.If I knew that your storyline was so advanced I wouldn't told nothing... I trust you. I want to encourage you! good luck!

James

This game looks very good, but the main character's head looks kinda small for the body. I cant wait for more previews and posts, and the full game.

Hobbes

Indeed, it looks very good! It's very cartoony, but in a mature way, if you know what I mean. Kinda reminds me of how they transferred the Indiana Jones movies to a game.

There's one little niggle, and it has to do with the animation on the webpage you linked to about "characters" in your first post.

The animated walking guy besides the stormtrooper... his hands. I don't know anyone who waves his hands about so much when they walk...

...well, ok, maybe I do, but that's not the point.  ;)

But other than that, looking good!

Nacho

Just two things! I remember that there are two imperial marchs performed by two Heavy metal bands, Rage against the machine and Metallica. I am not very into Heavy music, but that two songs sound really good if you want to use them for dramatic purposes... No doubt has another version, but it is a live song that surtely won't work. If you nned one or two of the tumes demand to me or look the in to Kazaa.

Mats Berglinn

If you need more info on characters, aliens, droids, spaceship and stuff you can go to www.starwars.com, they have lot of info on characters, aliens droids and so on, from the old movies as well as the new ones.

DinghyDog

It was Kyle Katarn who stole the plans, if it's still disputed.

(Didn't any of you play Dark Forces? Heh. The first level is all about that, as I remember.)

(And he didn't die.)

-DD

PS: Looks great, mandarb.
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

Mats Berglinn

If you need sounds for the R2-units, I have some R2D2 sounds in my PC.

Darth Mandarb

DinghyDog - I know about Kyle Katarn and all that, but I'm not incorporating the EU (as such) into this.  I'm just going to use what's in the Original Movies and make up my own EU as I go.  There's just too much in the EU to tie it all together.

dm

PS
EU = Expanded Universe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk