Fortnightly Writing Competition - Winners Announced

Started by kconan, Thu 21/11/2013 16:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

We are all evil, evil people. Poor Gerry, nothing good happened to him in this whole story, not a single thing. And we never even learned if he is a bad guy or just misguided and if he deserved anything that happened to him. Poor guy. :~( But that makes for an enjoyable story, so I don't really mind. (laugh)

Voting is difficult in a story were the parts are defined by what happened before, especially when all parts are so good and everybody deserves to win. Anyway, here are my votes:

Character: Eric and Baron
Atmosphere: Eric
Word Choice/Syle: WHAM
Plot Twist/Subplot: Baron
Plot: WHAM

Ghost

I hate voting. It is impossible to be fair here ;-D . All entries are great and add their puzzle piece to the whole picture.
I repeat, I HATE voting.

Character: Baron
Atmosphere: Stupot
Word Choice/Syle: WHAM
Plot Twist/Subplot: miguel
Plot: Baron

kconan

So 8 contestants and three voters, c'mon folks please vote (nod)

Also, my apologies to Ponch for not being specific enough on the deadline.  I should have given a time (and time zone as well) on Tuesday for the end of the comp.

Eric

So in voting, I read through the compiled, attribute-less text, and made notes on which sections I thought were best of category, then went back to see who'd written them. Here were the results:

Character: Baron
Atmosphere: Ghost
Word Choice/Style: Stupot+
Plot Twist/Subplot: Baron

To answer Stupot+'s earlier question, I genuinely didn't have a clear intention where the story would go. My goal in writing that first bit was to set a tone, introduce a character and a perspective, and to provide enough narrative questions that other folks would feel compelled to come along and answer them. In the back of my head, I suppose I was thinking something along the lines of Gerald being a pro assassin, Emory his handler, and that at some point by someone Gerald gotten burned on his current job.

Ponch

Character: Eric
Atmosphere: Stupot
Word Choice/Style: Baron
Plot Twist/Subplot: Miguel

Wish I could have entered this one. I was going to bring a ray of hope into this bleak tale. But when I sat down on my lunch break to spell check it and give it one more look before posting it, I found that voting had already begun! At 11 am on Tuesday!! :embarrassed:

Eric

I think this calls for a director's cut alternate ending!

kconan

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 06/12/2013 03:17:08
Wish I could have entered this one. I was going to bring a ray of hope into this bleak tale. But when I sat down on my lunch break to spell check it and give it one more look before posting it, I found that voting had already begun! At 11 am on Tuesday!! :embarrassed:

Yea, like I said I should have specified when on Tuesday it ends. 

Submit an exhibition entry and I'll edit it into the main story, its never too late for a "Ponch cut".

kconan

Voting will end at exactly 2:00PM Hong Kong (GMT+8) time on Saturday, December 7th.

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Fri 06/12/2013 05:38:29
  Submit an exhibition entry and I'll edit it into the main story, its never too late for a "Ponch cut".
Oh, don't worry about it. It's all water under the bridge, as they say. No hard feelings.

By the way, could you send me some of your fingernail clippings and a snippet of your hair? I can't finish the voodoo doll of you without them. :P

Stupot

Character:  Ghost - For introducing Perkins, who turned out to be a complete nut-job.
Atmosphere: WHAM - I really felt like I was involved in the drama.
Word Choice/Style: Eric - Just lovely writing.
Plot Twist/Subplot: WHAM - Interesting developments to say the least.
Plot: Eric - You set the scene beautifully, and established an intriguing implied backstory that I feel drove the rest of the story quite well. Though I regret that we didn't explore more of this Emory dude.

kconan

Fun game guys!  I was eager to see what happened next to poor Gerald every time I checked the thread.  The way the story unfolded really felt like a dark Michael Mann movie that had been scored, at least the first half before the action really picks up, with old style jazz.

So...The winner is WHAM, with second place going to Baron, and Eric in third.  And now for the ramshackle, unwieldy, and basically non-forum friendly trophy for all participants:

You're up WHAM!

Ghost

That was one really cool round!

Quote from: kconan on Sat 07/12/2013 06:23:36
And now for the ramshackle, unwieldy, and basically non-forum friendly trophy for all participants:
And that is probably the most awesomest thing I saw this year.

Eric

Brilliant work everyone, and fantastic trophy, kconan. I think what we've learned is that we need a regular, non-competitive round robin story writing thread.

WHAM

Ooooh! Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou everyone! It seems I tend to write the more violent episodes in these competitions and this time it paid off (mostly thanks to a well-set base and a good base character set). Maybe I'll try something different the next time I'm participating. And yes, I agree, we should do this sort of storytelling more often, but I don't want to turn the fortnightly into that just yet, so I'll come up with a new theme tomorrow and get the next fortnightly competition rolling.

Again, thanks to everyone who participated, thanks to kconan for organizing (and for the trophy) and thanks for the votes. :)

*does a victory dance*
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

miguel

I will now flee from Portugal for a while. Because writing competition loosers have their testicles removed.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: miguel on Sat 07/12/2013 22:23:14
Because writing competition loosers have their testicles removed.

Gee, and I thought that was just a rumour!

Hey, I put the trophy in! It fits! That almost sounds dirty, doesn't it?

kconan

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 08/12/2013 01:17:41
Hey, I put the trophy in! It fits! That almost sounds dirty, doesn't it?

Haha, nice! :-D   And I was just wondering if the trophy would find its way into someone's signature line.

Baron

Aw, I feel bad about not voting.  Sorry guys.  It was a thriller to read!  I had the early bird's remorse, not being able to jump in later on.  If this does become a separate activity of its own I definitely think that second submissions should be possible.  Maybe only after 3-5 other submissions, just so that one person can't hijack the story entirely, but they should be possible. 

Congrats WHAM!  I look forward to the next round.

Eric

I was thinking a rule of not posting more than once in a seven-day period might work. That way, the story doesn't necessarily stall, but everyone has a chance to jump in if they want to do so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk