MAGS November: "Night-Time" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Thu 31/10/2013 14:49:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Cool, I'll open voting in a few hours peeps!

kaput

Two really nice entries, I enjoyed them both. Well done guys on your comprehensive outcomes! Gonna be hard to vote, I might have to play them again...

What I really liked about Magic Owl, was that it's obviously an interactive musicians piece with the ability to manipulate sounds by manoeuvring around the atmosphere. Great stuff. For me, I have to say, it's polished. But is it polished enough? I see some flaws. Maybe a lack of 'game' there? Hrmmm. A very hard decision.

CaptainD (love this guy) and Selmiak's Eternal Chrysalis piece is a solid piece of work. It's got good puzzles, is set in an intriguing and familiar zone, what's not to like? I'm just not sure it's 'whole enough' to secure my vote. I feel a lack of character development, but I really like the witty dialogue. The graphic styles clash, but in a bad way? I'm not sure.

I will keep a close eye on this. Anyway, for one month they are both brilliant 8-). I will consider my vote very carefully.

Atelier

VOTING

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Magic Owl by Emont
Eternal Chrysalis by selmiak and CaptainD

VOTE

Click on the game title to download.

Be sure to play all the entries before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

selmiak

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Fri 29/11/2013 10:00:01
Also, selmiak, that background is quite nice. Take a time to teach me your excellent drawing art skills, will you? Because I really dig this style. (nod).
Thanks. To draw like this
1) Get a wacom (or any other drawing tablet)
2) read a lot of tutorials about and get a feeling for light and lighting
3) hang around on deviantart a lot (and be in awe what some people can do with their drawing tablets)
4) practise

Ghost

Abisso

Wow, a very simple yet always fascinating topic for this MAGS!

I'm surprised by the fact there are just 2 entries. They are both respectful of the theme and interesting in their own ways, though.

Anyway... may I ask why is it taking so long to proclaim the winner? Has there been issues in the voting?
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Atelier

Anyway... may I ask why is it taking so long to proclaim the winner? Has there been issues in the voting?

Nope, voting usually lasts 15 days. However, I may post the results later today!

Ghost

So my split personalities can vote, too? ;-D

CaptainD

Hey Abisso - thanks for your very accurate comment on Eternal Chrysalis on the games page!  You hit on basically all the things we would have liked to do better but couldn't do due to the time constraint.  (Hopefully if we ever do released an expanded version of the game you'll approve :-D).  The storyline in particular ended up being massively different to the original idea just so we could actually get the game finished.  We'll definitely add some more difficult puzzles too!

Abisso

Quote from: Atelier on Wed 11/12/2013 03:41:05
Nope, voting usually lasts 15 days. However, I may post the results later today!

Hrmm... the last MAGS I entered was in February 2006. May this has something to do with my ignorance, perchance? :-D
I apologize, though. Back in the old days, the following MAGS couldn't even begin unless the previous one had been closed. This was due to the fact the winner was the one entitled to set the theme and the rules for the next month's.

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 11/12/2013 13:33:57
Hey Abisso - thanks for your very accurate comment on Eternal Chrysalis on the games page!  You hit on basically all the things we would have liked to do better but couldn't do due to the time constraint.  (Hopefully if we ever do released an expanded version of the game you'll approve :-D).  The storyline in particular ended up being massively different to the original idea just so we could actually get the game finished.  We'll definitely add some more difficult puzzles too!

Yeah, selmiak told me about the cuts that the deadline required. By the way, the most evident flaw was the graphical inconsistency between some backgrounds and the characters: there are at least three different styles involved. The rest is ok, and some players actually prefer games with puzzles that are not too difficult.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Atelier

Results are in!

Eternal Chrysalis by selmiak and CaptainD (music by Emont) - 7 votes
Magic Owl by emont - 4 votes

Congrats to selmiak, CaptainD, and Emont!

CaptainD

Thanks Atelier!

Also remember, Emont did some of the music for Eternal Chrysalis, so he's also a MAGS winner! :-D

selmiak

Myshkin

Congratulations selmiak & CaptainD!

Ghost

Congrats team Sell-Me-Ack! And Captain-tea!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk