Breakage - update: Now with music and sound (and some voice)

Started by Etumretniw, Mon 02/12/2013 22:23:07

Previous topic - Next topic

TassieDevil

Hi
I completed the game; outstanding! I really liked it a lot. Given there is no music and sound - even better, it makes the download manageable.
Congratulation to such a good game.

Some observations...
I was able to get the ball from the first statue twice (after I used it).
I was stuck in the castle in the little window; I was able to exit by pressing exit on the ground, but after that the character animations went wrong, changing being assembling items or teleporter flash.
I didn't know I had all pieces to the map; maybe a hint there?

Etumretniw

Quote from: TassieDevil on Sat 07/12/2013 14:33:00
Some observations...
I was able to get the ball from the first statue twice (after I used it).
I was stuck in the castle in the little window; I was able to exit by pressing exit on the ground, but after that the character animations went wrong, changing being assembling items or teleporter flash.
I didn't know I had all pieces to the map; maybe a hint there?

Thank you for the feedback :)

The re-spawning of the ball (and the ruby) were fixed in an updated version (those downloading now will have v. 1.4.5.0).
The castle window is the only way back, the exit shouldn't have worked, actually. But I see what went wrong and I've fixed it for further versions. I'll swap the file (I'll wait a bit and see if more observations of glitches come in), and post a note of it.
Maybe. They are actual pieces from the map but it might be hard to see when they will make a rectangle.

Etumretniw

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Wed 04/12/2013 23:28:06
As far as weaknesses, posters including the author pointed out the lack of sound. My recommendation is not to bother with speech acting. Some appropriate background music and appropriate sound effects would have brought up the value of this game immensely. There are so many things that happen in the game (crashes, things falling, etc) that can have some sounds that really would have taken the environment to the next level.

My other concern is that I found that there was a lot of inconsistency in the game. Almost every room was like another world and context. This may have been somewhat deliberate to give the game its quirky feel but I found it somewhat jarring. In a similar vein, the game had almost no story. The crazy worlds are sort of explained a bit all the way at the end but there didn't seem to be much of a plot or thread that progresses as you proceed in the game. In my opinion (people are free to disagree, of course), a thread or plot is what really draws the player into the game and makes the difference between a "game" and "a collection of rooms with puzzles you have to solve to proceed".
Thank you for your comment :)

Sounds: Maybe. But if I do that, I'd probably want voice too.
Inconsistency:
Spoiler
It's sort of the theme of the game. Many of the rooms or sets of rooms are fragments from other worlds and contexts, with some bridging between them. There is no more plotting going on than the protagonist's "hope" this might be just in one enclosed "test area", and that normality is reachable. It gave me a lot to work with creatively with puzzles and characters, as well as being the story I went for. As the cloaked one sais at the end: "You really thought you were the hero of a Tale of Adventure, didn't you." :)
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Etumretniw on Sun 08/12/2013 09:46:23

Inconsistency:
Spoiler
It's sort of the theme of the game. Many of the rooms or sets of rooms are fragments from other worlds and contexts, with some bridging between them. There is no more plotting going on than the protagonist's "hope" this might be just in one enclosed "test area", and that normality is reachable. It gave me a lot to work with creatively with puzzles and characters, as well as being the story I went for. As the cloaked one sais at the end: "You really thought you were the hero of a Tale of Adventure, didn't you." :)
[close]

Well, that was certainly accomplished! The creativity was brilliant and the game was overall very enjoyable.

Cheers

SHADOW

Tabata

Finally I was able to finish this nice game!

I had a lot of fun with all those puzzeles and hope it won't be your last game.
Very well done and entertaining - it would be well worth to add some sounds (nod)

Congratulation for the release of such a fine game!
Really something to be proud of!

Etumretniw

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 08/01/2014 15:23:23
I had a lot of fun with all those puzzeles and hope it won't be your last game.

Thank you.
It probably won't be :)

Etumretniw

Having received quite encouraging comments, and Breakage being made pick of the month for April, I decided to do something about the main grievance: No sound or music. So now it has sound and music. And some voice.

The music has been created by Kristin Burdal, one of the master's students in musicology at the university where I live (I actually work at the Department of Music there, just to give more disbelief to the lack of sound in the first place). I created the sounds, and some of the voice acting together with a friend of the female persuasion. The different creatures have some random sounds/sentences at the start of a conversation, and there is voice when the forth wall is broken.

So, as this has been something that came up in almost every comment, I choose to bump this now months old thread to point attention to the update, in the best tradition of ask forgiveness instead of permission. As I feel it might come forth as an almost new game to some who missed sound, or didn't play it at all because the lack of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk