The Shivah: Kosher Edition!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Tue 12/11/2013 19:14:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

[embed=640,360] <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mtE4o1WdOyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/embed]

Now available for pre-order! Nab it for 20% off until Novemeber 21st!

So earlier this year we ported Gemini Rue to iOS, and it was reasonably successful. It was, however, a colossal undertaking. Eight months of fulltime work for Janet (who actually went to school for programming and is much smarter than I am). Since we just had a baby, we decided our next port would be The Shivah – the very first game we ever made. It's short, and reasonably straightforward. So we figured it would be a quick and easy port.

Sadly – NO! The Shivah was made seven years ago. This was before games on iOS phones was a thing. Before even iOS phones! The game was made with very tiny sprites – sprites that were impossible to see on a phone.

So what to do?

WE REMAKE THE WHOLE DARN THING.

Original:

New!

Original:

New!

Original:

New!

The entire game has been remastered with brand new graphics (by Mr. Ben304), new music (by Peter Gresser) and new character portraits (by Ilyich). It even has achievements now, since that is what all the cool games have these days. It will be available on November 21st for Windows, Steam and iOS!

The game will cost $4.99 on windows and $1.99 on iOS. If you pre-order the PC version now, you can nab it for 20% off. PC versions will, as always, come with Steam keys.

For more details, check out the Wadjet Eye website.

Thanks!

-Dave

Dave Gilbert

Actually, I just realized that this probably does not count as a "completed" game. Moderators, feel free to do your thing.

selmiak

Is this remade in lowres 320x200 or HD 640x400? :D

Dave Gilbert

It's low-res in 320x200! Although if you can't tell, I suppose Ben did a pretty good job.

selmiak

absolutely, this is looking great!

homelightgames

I love Wadjet Eye and their games.  Sorry, I know this doesn't add much conversation, but I just had the thought while looking at the before and afters.

Crimson Wizard

Zelig now have less suspicious look, while Mrs. Lauder is like an angered Hindu goddess :).

Mati256

That trailer ending is pretty spoilerish.
My Blog! (En Español)

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Ben X on Tue 12/11/2013 21:31:40
Nice Primordia cameo!

You know, I never even knew that was there until about a week ago. Ben is one crafty guy.

Ryan Timothy B

Everything looks absolutely wonderful.

I so hope you plan on adding reflections from the characters in those shiny floored areas - the first moment I looked at the screenshot it immediately pulled me away. It's about as distracting as a trumpet to the head. ;)

Dave Gilbert

Curse Ben and his love of shiny floors! We tried but it didn't work well on the iOS version. To keep things consistent we just nixed them. We were under a tight deadline so we didn't have time to get it working right. Maybe we will patch them in, one day!

SarahLiz

My first thought was, "oh man, I JUST replayed this game the other day on my PC."  (It's a classic, who wouldn't??)  but then I saw the new artwork and...BAM.  I'm hooked and have to have it, again.

Maybe this time the difference will be I just won't need to sneak a peek at the walkthrough.  ;)  It looks and sounds amazing, one of my all-time classic games from Wadjet Eye.  Looking forward to the new "Kosher Version!"

Sarah

Armageddon

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Tue 12/11/2013 22:30:22
Curse Ben and his love of shiny floors! We tried but it didn't work well on the iOS version. To keep things consistent we just nixed them. We were under a tight deadline so we didn't have time to get it working right. Maybe we will patch them in, one day!

But there are reflections in the street shot on the wet concrete no? Also I'd add back in the tile lines to the marble floor maybe because right now it looks like a flat 3D render.

Really lovely stuff though, I've never played the game before so it'll be great to play it with the new graphics.

TheBitPriest

Amazing look!  I'm going to have to go kosher!  :-D

Kweepa

Looks beautiful!
I'll have to pick this up if there's an iPhone version!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Dave Gilbert

It's out today! You can nab it on the Apple App Store (iOS), Steam, GOG, and of course the Wadjet Eye website!

kconan

I just dropped 5 bones for it on Steam.  Hey, the Onion AV Club reviewed The Shivah and gave it a really good rating!  I didn't know they reviewed games.

AndyfromVA

Good game - interesting story, philosophical and psychological issues, Ben 304 graphics.

CaptainD

LostTrainDude did a great review of The Shivah: Kosher Edition for my site.  Thanks LTD!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk