The Art of Dying - 8-Bit Platformer w/ Level Editor

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Wed 18/12/2013 22:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

Quote from: Khris on Tue 14/01/2014 23:25:01
Or use JoyToKey :)
You'd think, Khris, that you created JoyToKey the way you whore it out all the time (laugh)

JoyToKey IS pretty "neat-o".
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Khris

I wish ;-D
It IS really neat though, and The Binding of Isaac even plainly says to use it if you want to play with a gamepad :)

selmiak

added the mayhem levelpack :D
have fun

edit: only 3 levels, but hey, try to beat 'em!

DoorKnobHandle

Oh! Awesome, nice work, selmiak! I'm enjoying your levels - quite difficult too haha! Nice work, I'm glad that we have two additional level packs including a total of seven community-made levels for The Art of Dying available on http://dkh.agser.me/die

Stupot

I've added a level, called Get Me Out Of Here. I've no idea how easy or difficult others will find it, but it's definitely doable. :-)

selmiak

@Stupot: Beaten it, though I had problems getting out of the hole in front of the green door. But a fun level once you got the timing with the green key.
@Matti: Great levels, the last one was the hardest and thus the best! Especially the stupid bot around the blue switch did get on my nerves big time :-D

Stupot

Blimey, that was quick. You're good.  There's a knack to jumping out of those holes, as I'm sure you discovered :)
I've been trying your one. I'm still struggling to get up those pillars on the first level.

DoorKnobHandle

Ha, nice work Stupot. Enjoyed playing your level although I haven't quite beaten it yet! :)

abstauber

I'm still fighting with the original levels :D
But way more important: thanks a million for releasing the source. This is quite educating and a pleasure to read!

Awesome work and thanks for teaching me/us to code a bit better in the future :D

DoorKnobHandle

Thanks abstauber! I'm glad the source is proving useful for some!

selmiak

DO PLAY A MAZE - ZING!
a new levelpack filled with 3 hardcore thrilling action levels that take you to the edge!
Or are just fun to play!

DoorKnobHandle

Awesome work, selmiak. Quite a challenge I'd say, but not as extreme as some of the other user-made levels! I almost got the first level on my first try but died right in front of the open door haha. Good ideas too! Thanks!

selmiak

glad you like it dkh. After noone said that he had beaten my other levels I tamed it down a bit, it's easy to go crazy with this leveleditor and overdo it with enemies but still make a doable possible level. I have some ideas for really totally mean levels, maybe I'll make another levelpack sometime in the future. Thanks for the game and especially the editor  ;-D
Any hints on how to climb up in the last original level? I have absolutely no clue  ;-D
I didn't have a look at the sourcecode yet, but anyways, I have a theoretical idea: Would it be possible to encode some additional tiles as bitmaps and attach them to a level file? So that the player wouldn't have to download a recompiled full game everytime someone pixels up an additional tile or 2. Of course the player would have to download the new gamefile that can read these bitmaps but then no more new versions for additional tiles. New enemies would also be nice but harder to translate between data and game. Sounds easy in theory, does't it? 

DoorKnobHandle

About climbing up in the last level: it's hard but can be done. You definitely need the shield though, as it's ALMOST impossible without (only did it once myself). With shield you are bound to lose that early but using the invincibility time it gives you afterwards can secure you the rest of the way up. Additional tiles could be loaded from outside the game for sure! Enemies would be much harder because you'd need some sort of file/script format to define their behavior.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I can't believe I missed this.  This looks awesome.  Great job, DKH :D

Crimson Wizard

Could someone help me with the game download? Links are dead (both game's and source code).

Scorpiorus

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Hi .. i only spotted this game now, and i am so overwhelmingly impressed with what you have done. I was convinced AGS could not do a slick platformer and you have proved me so wrong. In particular its the smooth, slick movements,  seamless transitions between sequences.

What projects are you working on at the moment? Are you the same guy from the dev streams?  ..  Would you consider looking at a plat former idea I have, in particular how viable it would be to do in AGS, and lastly would you be interested in getting involved in anyway at some point in the not so distant future?  Your attention to detail on the movement has really blown me away.

bx83

Hey - just wondering if anyone is still alive up there? Downloads are dead, get a 404 - any mirrors?
I'm really looking forward to that source code :P

EDIT
You can get it and the game from:
https://gamejolt.com/games/the-art-of-dying/21047

Olleh19

Does the game work with the latest AGS? Looks really cool! :shocked:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk