Heroine's Quest - The Herald Of Ragnarok - Now available on Steam!

Started by Corby, Thu 26/12/2013 00:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I am amazed by your speed of production. How many were you? How long did it take altogether?

Andail

Quote from: Mouth for war on Thu 26/12/2013 13:38:59
Andail är du Svensk??? Det var som fan ;)
Senast jag kollade i passet, så :)

On-topic:
Can I put the difficulty on lowest whilst walking around, and then set it to middle when I expect a battle? I don't want to whimp out of a challenging fight, but I would still enjoy roaming the surroundings freely without freezing to death every third minute.

Gribbler

Congratulations on the release of this amazing game!

Fizzii

QuoteOn-topic:
Can I put the difficulty on lowest whilst walking around, and then set it to middle when I expect a battle? I don't want to whimp out of a challenging fight, but I would still enjoy roaming the surroundings freely without freezing to death every third minute.

I just checked, and you can indeed do that before the battle engages. Though you should also be able to manage to survive longer than that if you're careful with your stats and how you play :).

Ilyich

Huge congratulations on the release! Looking forward to playing it very much, since, obviously, it looks and sounds amazing! Thanks, Crystal Shard team!

Khris

This is an amazing game, although it's pretty tough. It captures the QfG-feel perfectly, including the occasional frustration :)
I feel like I'm stuck in seven different places at once, and I don't have any money left to boot, but just when I'm ready to give up, I'll discover something else, and I get the feeling this game is vast.
Amazing job, and the voice-acting is really good so far.

Some nitpicky things I noticed:
Spoiler
Throwing the dagger (as a warrior) makes it fly anywhere expect at what you're aiming, and it tends to land behind walkbehinds, so I can't pick it back up. Not sure if that's intentional?
Also, if you end up in the void, you can still interact with things, and the message inserts an empty string where the name of the object would go.
Technical stuff:
-the reflections are squashed...!! (wrong) (laugh)
-and what's with no setup and a default res of 320x200?? And a damn installer without a zip only mirror? (wtf) I get why people not familiar with AGS would prefer an installer, but how are they supposed to figure out that you need to rename the exe (because of the space and apostrophe) and call it with --setup...?
[close]

Corby

QuoteI am amazed by your speed of production. How many were you? How long did it take altogether?

From 2009 onwards, maybe a core team of 2-4 people actively working on the game.

Radiant

By popular request, we'll be releasing a ZIP version shortly.

Khris, I'm curious what you want a setup for? You should be able to change all the settings from within the game. Also, you don't need to rename anything though, you just put the filename in quotes if it contains spaces (or use tab completion, or use windows shortcuts instead).

Voh, would you mind running the game with the --log --fullscreen parameters and posting the logfile? We'd like to find out why it doesn't find an appropriate resolution on your screen. Log is saved in "Users\<Name>\Saved Games\.ags" on Vista, Win7 and Win8, and in "My Documents\My Saved Games\.ags" on WinXP. Thanks!

And since someone asked, yes you can get full points with every character, whether pure class or hybrid. Of course, certain actions give points e.g. for the warrior but not the rogue, or vice versa.

cianty

This game is truly amazing! The constant threat of freezing is both annoying and motivating to proper "care" for the character so I love/hate and wouldn't wanna miss. I have no idea how to get more money but once I do I know where to get the MAGICAL cloths that will hopefully keep me from dying a cold death.

Here's some feedback/bug reporting:

- The notepad doesn't work well/at all: From the initial 5 or 6 editable lines I lost all but 2 by simply clicking on them (I believe). I really didn't get what was going on and all of a sudden they were all gone. Now I have to editable lines left but dues to the limited characters in them it's pretty pointless. This is sad since I could really need it with all the open quests.
- I have a German keyboard where Z and Y are swapped. If you ever release a new version and unless Y is used somewhere else to forbid this: Could you simply make Y input also accepted besides Z in combat?
- A far worse problem is the mage's game I tried to play with the Wizard: From what I understand the "character" is moved on the map by pressing some keys. Those keys weren't shown/told (I think) and I tried to arbritarily hit keys and I found left and right scattered somewhere (can't remember which they were). But I have no clue whatsoever how to move up and down which makes the mini game completely unplayable. Maybe arrow keys or the usual WASD could be used here?

These minor things apart I am totally enjoying this game! Even for a commercial release it would be great from what I have seen so far. The voice acting e.g. is wayyyy better than Face Noir which I finished last week. Now off to play some more!
ca. 70% completed

Radiant

Good point about the German keyboard. Come to think of it, it gets even wonkier on a French one...

In the Mage's game, you do not actually control your character. She moves all by itself, you can just cast spells to help her. So the controls are clicking on the spell buttons, or clicking on the 'step' button. It's a bit like the classic game Lemmings, really. HTH!

Corby

I wonder if anyone is using the numpad for combat? I find it much easier to use.

QuoteA far worse problem is the mage's game I tried to play with the Wizard: From what I understand the "character" is moved on the map by pressing some keys.

Actually, there's a "move" button in the lower left or something similar, as the valkyrie can only move the direction she is facing.

LTGiants2000

Been waiting for this one SOOOO long, thank you all for all your work. It seems to have paid off in massive amounts!!! ;-D;-D;-D;-D;-D;-D;-D

cianty

Quote from: Corby on Fri 27/12/2013 16:41:08
I wonder if anyone is using the numpad for combat? I find it much easier to use.

QuoteA far worse problem is the mage's game I tried to play with the Wizard: From what I understand the "character" is moved on the map by pressing some keys.

Actually, there's a "move" button in the lower left or something similar, as the valkyrie can only move the direction she is facing.

Yeah, ha ha. Just got back here to say that I so realized. So the keys which I THOUGHT were randomly moving left and right were simply STEP and UNDO.. D'OH! LOL

I do use the num pad, by the way. Mainly because of the "missing" Z, but I do indeed find it more convenient to have the keys aligned cleanly rather than slightly shifted like the rows of the main keyboard are.
ca. 70% completed

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 27/12/2013 16:25:39
Khris, I'm curious what you want a setup for? You should be able to change all the settings from within the game. Also, you don't need to rename anything though, you just put the filename in quotes if it contains spaces (or use tab completion, or use windows shortcuts instead).
Interesting thing is that quotes are requred in console, but not in Windows Explorer. I literally typed "Heroine's Quest.exe --setup" in the latter and that worked.

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 27/12/2013 16:25:39
Voh, would you mind running the game with the --log --fullscreen parameters and posting the logfile? We'd like to find out why it doesn't find an appropriate resolution on your screen. Log is saved in "Users\<Name>\Saved Games\.ags" on Vista, Win7 and Win8, and in "My Documents\My Saved Games\.ags" on WinXP. Thanks!
I think it's worth to remind that you need to set scaling filter to "Max nearest neighbour filter" in setup, or manually write "gfxfilter=max" in acsetup.cfg.

Abisso

Oh no, I missed an awesome Christmas present! But I won't miss a fantastic 27th of December present!

I reserve the right to change my mind and certainly the right to give constructive feedback after I've played it; but I can't help but feel happy for you guys. We started working almost at the same time on our respective games, and I'm glad we both mark an important milestone almost at the same time. Yours is far more important than mine, though, and I can only imagine the relief and pride of this release.

You deserve the utmost respect for what you did out of pure passion.

I raise my glass to your success.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

LuciferSam86

Downloading right now. The screenshots are awesome:shocked:
God is Real, unless declared Integer

Khris

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 27/12/2013 16:25:39Khris, I'm curious what you want a setup for? You should be able to change all the settings from within the game. Also, you don't need to rename anything though, you just put the filename in quotes if it contains spaces (or use tab completion, or use windows shortcuts instead).
Because I never just run a game, I always open the setup first. Even if it isn't needed in theory to get the game to run properly, I usually set the scaling to something other than the default; for instance I'm playing the game in x4 window, but the max scaling is x5. And if I still had my old CRT, I'd probably want to set it to 85Hz.
Putting the filename in quotes to run the setup does work though, yes.

As for the Y/Z problem, a quick fix is to install English as additional input language, then press Alt-Shift during the game to make Windows switch to English.

Zazzaro

Does starting the game in tutorial mode make your map have hotspots for the main quests or does everyone have those?

kaput

Ah, be greeted, lords and ladies of yon Crystal Shard! On embarking on thy Heroine's Quest, I felt much amusement! Why, with a goblet of mead one has been playing for many moons! Congratulations and salutations for thy humble gift on this winter solstice.

Also, the music is awesome.

Chicky

Lovely to see this as a free release, i assumed it was a commercial effort! Really enjoying what i've played so far, the first town has a great cozy atmosphere with plenty to explore. Still getting used to the battle mechanics, i usually suck at these :p

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk