Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

Started by noviigrac, Thu 26/12/2013 17:29:15

Previous topic - Next topic

noviigrac

It falls upon me to start this topic, so okay, the problem im facing
Spoiler
after exiting the other realm with the boy Heime, im facing a blizzard/snowstorm and i dont know how to escape, im a rogue if that has anything to do with it
[close]

Thank you

romulus16

Well if you can help me with the solution to that evil sound crystals puzzle just before where you are up to ill be glad to help with the snowstorm if I can after :)

noviigrac

Quote from: romulus16 on Thu 26/12/2013 23:20:15
Well if you can help me with the solution to that evil sound crystals puzzle just before where you are up to ill be glad to help with the snowstorm if I can after :)

Spoiler
If you number them 1 to 5 from the left the solution is 2,5,3,1,4
[close]

romulus16

I love you so much right now :P  (Soon as I get u pto your point I'll see what I can do :P

romulus16

Okay it's really fickle so..

SPOLIER ALERT  (Sorry dont know how to do the drop down box >.<  )

First use the view/eyes icon around the bottom right of the screen till an animal trail appears, then when it appears keep clicking around the top of it till you get a text box for it then use the use command :)  ... It's really fickle >.<

LTGiants2000

I'm having trouble getting into what I assume is the thieves guild. Can anyone reply with a spoiler on how to get in as a magic user (sorry, I'm writing this from my phone so I can't do the spoiler text option), thanks guys.

-Rob

romulus16

Err well

SPOILERS
In the second town in the inn open the window and go to bed and a thief will break into your room and you will get a piece of their cloak. Use this on the dog in the town and eventually it will lead you to the place. In the room you need to examine the objects and they will all give you a letter, (Dont miss the Ligh/Ceiling one :P  .... No idea how to reach it if you cant throw though (Can wizards levitate? )

Crazy1k

Just started out and having a blast (just started day 2 :p) - just need a general tip. Playing as a sorceress and I initially started with the points spent in fast talk & climbing (fast talk for maybe some additional dialogues & climbing since i dont know if there will be a levitate spell)

That said the question is:
1) Would you suggest restarting the game and allocating the starting points elsewhere (I'm 99% sure i'll do a playthrough with all 3 classes and reading the manual each class has their own set of exclusive skills - like herbalism & magic for sorc) - keeping it "pure class" for each playthrough.
2) If anyone has gotten all of the spells - can you just list out the names and what they do?
3) coming from question1 if you go pure class - can you achieve the max amount of points by the end of the game?

romulus16

It's not listed in the manual as a spell (As far as I know)  But the

SPOILERS
Guy in the watch tower hints at a wind spell in the boat

romulus16

Khris

You can create spoiler boxes using
Code: txt
[spoiler]spoiler[/spoiler]

romulus16

So with the Swamp

Spoiler
Has anyone figured out how to lure out the beast? I thought honey might do the trick but no idea
[close]

LTGiants2000

Quote from: romulus16 on Fri 27/12/2013 06:31:41
Err well

SPOILERS
In the second town in the inn open the window and go to bed and a thief will break into your room and you will get a piece of their cloak. Use this on the dog in the town and eventually it will lead you to the place. In the room you need to examine the objects and they will all give you a letter, (Dont miss the Ligh/Ceiling one :P  .... No idea how to reach it if you cant throw though (Can wizards levitate? )

Thanks Romulus, I actually got to this point already (Wizards have a bolt spell to shoot the ceiling) however I don't know the order of the letters. Is there a little hint you can toss my way to help me figure out this puzzle? Not sure what I'm trying to spell here. Thanks!

cianty

Err well

SPOILERS
In the second town in the inn open the window and go to bed and a thief will break into your room and you will get a piece of their cloak.

I didn't get such a piece. Until I read this I was hoping for the thief to return, sleeping with open and closed windows over and over, returned once I had any money again, but no effect...:confused:
ca. 70% completed

LTGiants2000

Quote from: cianty on Fri 27/12/2013 20:33:48
Err well

SPOILERS
In the second town in the inn open the window and go to bed and a thief will break into your room and you will get a piece of their cloak.

I didn't get such a piece. Until I read this I was hoping for the thief to return, sleeping with open and closed windows over and over, returned once I had any money again, but no effect...:confused:

Cianty, spoilers regarding this below...

Spoiler
There is a building in town with lots of hidden switches and a letter near each switch. The building may not be accessable until later in the day or after you speak to someone in particular because I remember not being allowed in the front door until after the thief came.
[close]

romulus16

LTGiants2000 just use the sense Spell in the room :) 

Spoiler
Basically I haven't been able to progress in that room because my warrior cant jump or throw or use magic but I need to ge the mirror back but thin I hit a dead end >.<  My Wizard friend just used sense ad apparently that helps you with the puzzle :)  Wizards have it so much easier >.> 
[close]

Daniel Eakins

I'm stuck at the same place as Cianty and LTGiants2000 and romulus16. I'm a warrior so cannot use spells :(
We all have our time machines, don't we?

romulus16

vertigoaddict

I'm not necissarily, particularly stuck per saaay... but I kinda
Spoiler
ignored meeting the jarl at the begining of the game and ended up saving Sig-- shoot what was his name?--'s life and I went through the whole getting my stuff back from the theives lodge. So when I went back to forsigtuna- so sure I got that wrong- it seems the game thinks I've already spoken to the jarl, I'm a little worried that this would potentially stop me from ever getting the map, will it?
[close]
Should I just start a new game?

romulus16

Dont think you actually need the map anyway :P  Want a screen shot of it? :P

Map Link
Spoiler

Crazy1k

got an issue:

Spoiler
1) got a crystal shard from the shard cave in the elf lands while saving the little kid - when we got out of there the shard turned it to burnt crystal  - supposed to happen or did i miss something? Can't seem to get another good crystal...
[close]

romulus16

Crazy1k 
Spoiler
shards dont like the day light... no idea how to fix yet >.<
[close]

Crazy1k

yea i found that out AFTER i got out and speaking to the jarls wizard...Can't get a new one so no idea if its a bug or just a redundant item or its supposed to happen like that

edit:

Spoiler
reloaded a previous save and made sure i went during night - seems the only thing you can do with it is sell it to Regin for 40silver
[close]

romulus16

It's a pain >.<  Currently I cant rescus the
Spoiler
Jarl
[close]
because i need the mirror and my character is incapable of entering the place I need to get it >.>  So stupid too the character could literally just raise a shovel up and flip the switch but game logic says other wise >.>

Fizzii

There isn't any reason why your character is incapable of getting there :P You should have a necessary means of doing whatever you need to do.

romulus16

So there is some way for my character to reach the light on the ceiling without throw, jump or magic? :D

EDIT 
Found out what to do then Game Breaking bug!!!!! >.<   *cries*

Fizzii

Ah, sorry. Radiant will make sure that's fixed in the next patch.

You don't have to do that quest to complete the game though, there are other people you can help.

noviigrac

How does a rogue help the valkyrie in the circle of fire???

romulus16

Ah that's good :3  Back to trying to figure out this swamp of doom so I can proceed >.<  Any hints on something that would point in the right direction?

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: romulus16 on Sat 28/12/2013 01:22:08
Do you have the throw ability?
Nope, I only have Animal Ken, Climbing and Parrying. :/

romulus16

Quote from: Daniel Eakins on Sat 28/12/2013 11:30:17

Do this to proceed
Spoiler
use sword on barrell door
[close]
:)

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: romulus16 on Sat 28/12/2013 11:51:08
Quote from: Daniel Eakins on Sat 28/12/2013 11:30:17

Do this to proceed
Spoiler
use sword on barrell door
[close]
:)
It doesn't work. I looked at the Crystal Shard forums and someone said something about using a golden sword, but I only have the normal one. I guess I'll explore the woods some more, I must be missing that and/or something else.

EDIT:
Spoiler
I went to sleep and got a vision of Heime being kidnapped. I guess I'll rescue him and do the Thielves' Guild quest later!
[close]

romulus16

Yeah im in the same forum :P   The silver sword works just sometimes the room glitches and it doesnt work >.<  (I know activating the switch or any of the buttons prevents you from using the sword too )

Crazy1k

anyone managed to figure out the rocks on the far east of the map?

Spoiler
using dispell & bless points out that the rocks are "cursed" - must be the elf guy that went missing. How to "uncurse" it :p
[close]

romulus16

Quote from: Crazy1k on Sat 28/12/2013 15:38:57

Spoiler
using dispell & bless points out that the rocks are "cursed" - must be the elf guy that went missing. How to "uncurse" it :p
[close]

Basically
Spoiler
Do the quest for the wizard that involves Killing the Haugbui outside the first towns gates and the wizard rewards you with a potion you can use on the stones
[close]

vertigoaddict

Thank you romulus for the map.

I'm stuck now, I have to
Spoiler
give the wooden sword to Aurvandel but I have no idea where he is at, I've been looking all over the city, all over the woodlands and I've been waiting at what I think is his lab in the castle, but seriously where does this wizard hang out?
[close]
The guards won't let me see the Jarl (despite them still saying he's expecting me and me not having met him at all- I did get the rations that he supposedly promised me >_>; ) So if he's standing in the throne room next to the Jarl... I can't meet him there.

romulus16

You may have to re-start :(  Dont worry though your not that far at all :) 

Crazy1k

Quote from: romulus16 on Sat 28/12/2013 16:56:52
Quote from: Crazy1k on Sat 28/12/2013 15:38:57

Spoiler
[close]

Basically
Spoiler
Do the quest for the wizard that involves Killing the Haugbui outside the first towns gates and the wizard rewards you with a potion you can use on the stones
[close]

thanks! Seems i already did that quest (was never given a formal task) by just wandering at night and getting into the gravedigger mood :p... So tedious to run around talking to everyone to make sure you have new dialogues

Khris

Some general questions:

Spoiler
1. Is it possible to sell stuff to the merchants to get some additional money? I have four pelts, and I got a message about "you wouldn't want to wear them in their current condition, you'd smell like a varg". Can I process them? Or sell them? Sell something else?

2. I haven't tried it yet, but are the chests "synced"? Meaning if I stored something in one inn's chest, can I retrieve it from another inn's?

3. How can I repair the golden sword and what's its use?
[close]

Daniel Eakins

Not a question, just a random remark: for some reason, everyone (except Hervor, Heime, and some guards) hates me and I don't even know why :confused:

Khris

Daniel:
Spoiler
I read that's because of the cursed ring you got. Give it to Heime to get rid of it.
[close]

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: Khris on Sun 29/12/2013 12:23:19
Daniel:
Spoiler
I read that's because of the cursed ring you got. Give it to Heime to get rid of it.
[close]
Thanks!

LTGiants2000

I've got a question in the spoilers below for anyone who has made some progress in the game as the Wizard class.

Spoiler
Aurvandel posted a request to kill the Haugbui in front of the gates. I went out at night, fought it and killed it. Then I came back and it was there again! I killed it 2 or 3 times and eventually it didn't come back (I wandered around the forest a bit before returning to the castle). Now there is no option to "turn in" this quest? No dialogue option with Aurvandel about me having slain the Haugbui. How do I claim my reward??
[close]

Forget the above, I posted in the Crystal Shard forum and got an answer, thx. Feel free to remove this post if possible mods.

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: Khris on Sat 28/12/2013 19:37:41
Some general questions:

Spoiler
1. Is it possible to sell stuff to the merchants to get some additional money? I have four pelts, and I got a message about "you wouldn't want to wear them in their current condition, you'd smell like a varg". Can I process them? Or sell them? Sell something else?

2. I haven't tried it yet, but are the chests "synced"? Meaning if I stored something in one inn's chest, can I retrieve it from another inn's?

3. How can I repair the golden sword and what's its use?
[close]
Spoiler
1. You must use the Daggers from Volund on them to process them. I'm not sure if having several increases the effect.

2. I've just tried. They are not.

3. Volund can repair it, but he needs corals for that. You can get corals by using a Picking Tool near the lake in Svartalfheim. I'm still trying to see what its use is (Fafnir doesn't want it :undecided: ).
[close]

Khris

Thanks, very helpful!

LTGiants2000:
Sounds like a bug, and there seem to be a good deal more (spoilers).
Version 1.1 was already announced I believe.

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Khris on Sun 29/12/2013 19:41:49
Thanks, very helpful!

LTGiants2000:
Sounds like a bug, and there seem to be a good deal more (spoilers).
Version 1.1 was already announced I believe.

Thanks Khris, someone was saying there is more to the puzzle though, after I complete it if it's still respawning then I'll know it's a glitch. Apparently fighting him does not "kill" him.

Khris

Yeah, you're right. Not a bug :)

I restarted as a rogue and have a small problem:
Spoiler
Upon entering the thieves' lodge, what do I do in order to not get stabbed to death? I didn't find a way to do a thief sign, and using an inventory item seems impossible?
[close]

sthomannch

Khris
Spoiler

read the dialog carefully after your heroine died
[close]
Spoiler

use the hand cursor on the heroine as soon as she is caught in the net
[close]
Spoiler

if you have enough points in the stat sheet, you will have no problem to win the fight that will start automatically
[close]

Khris

Thanks, I was able to do that as a warrior.
The problem is,
Spoiler
as a rogue, the sequence is different. As a warrior, you can act after you're getting caught in the rope, and simply break free. As a rogue though, I can only act before, and once I'm tangled I automatically die.
[close]

noviigrac

Khris

Spoiler
use the acrobatic jump rogue ability and avoid the rope
[close]

Khris

Daniel Eakins

A heads-up for everyone: when you have to go to the final castle in the final chapter, make sure you've done everything you wanted to do in the second world, because the entrance to that world is blocked once you've passed this point of no return (you can still explore the forest and towns, but not the second world).

noviigrac

Im stuck at the part with me and my alter ego (sorceress) and I dont know what to do in the few seconds that i have before we both vanish

Cogliostro

(Playing as sorceress)  How do I activate the circle of stones to get into Svartalfheim?  I can turn on all of the standing stones, but then... nothing.  Apparently I was supposed to talk to the librarian, but the book is checked out and I cannot find out by whom.  Neither can I solve his riddle.  (Yes, I translated it.) 

Any suggestions?

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Cogliostro on Mon 30/12/2013 22:55:55
(Playing as sorceress)  How do I activate the circle of stones to get into Svartalfheim?  I can turn on all of the standing stones, but then... nothing.  Apparently I was supposed to talk to the librarian, but the book is checked out and I cannot find out by whom.  Neither can I solve his riddle.  (Yes, I translated it.) 

Any suggestions?

- Cogliostro

I also need help with this....I'm a mage and I'm stuck. Do I "touch" them? Cast a spell? The Librian says to "walk clockwise" but how does that activate them?

Khris

Cogliostro:
Stone circle (haven't played as magic user yet, take with pinch of salt):
Spoiler
You need something you can buy at the tavern.
Spoiler
Ask the guard captian in Forsigtuna about the circle.
Spoiler
After all stones are turned on, pour mead on the ground
[close]
[close]
[close]
Library:
Spoiler
The book teaches you a fighting move. In order to "decrypt" the message, use it on various parts of the library. The first should be the top of the left shelves on the ground floor.
[close]

LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
Walking clockwise prevents them from "turning off", even if you tap them in the right order.
[close]

LTGiants2000

@Khris
Spoiler
but how do you activate them? When I use the hand icon, it just says they are "cold"[\hide]
[close]

Khris

LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
One of them should turn on (it was the 3rd from the left I believe). I don't know if the game lets you do this before you're supposed to though. Did you get the Find Heime quest? Did you learn about the stone circle in the game?
Maybe it is different for the magic user, I haven't played as one yet.
[close]

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Khris on Mon 30/12/2013 23:35:42
LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
One of them should turn on (it was the 3rd from the left I believe). I don't know if the game lets you do this before you're supposed to though. Did you get the Find Heime quest? Did you learn about the stone circle in the game?
[close]

Yea the 3rd one says it's warm to the touch. But then what?

Cogliostro

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Mon 30/12/2013 23:54:22
LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
You have to touch them in the correct order, always walking clockwise.  3 6 1 4 5 2  But don't bother until AFTER you've talked to the captain in Fortigtuna and bought mead.
[close]

- Cogliostro

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Cogliostro on Tue 31/12/2013 01:38:16
LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
You have to touch them in the correct order, always walking clockwise.  3 6 1 4 5 2  But don't bother until AFTER you've talked to the captain in Fortigtuna and bought mead.
[close]

- Cogliostro

Thank you very much for dumbing it down for me...I usually don't have so much trouble...I'll let you know if I'm still too dumb to figure it out! LOL

Crazy1k

LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
[close]

To understand how the stones work its best to talk to the people about Svartalfheim.
Spoiler
info from Regin - he actually says the correct order of the touching of the stones
[close]
Spoiler
and Snorri - tells you of what to do after you get the correct sequence
[close]
Spoiler
The librarian tells you how to go about touching the stones (beside the correct sequence) - you always have to go clockwise  - so if you need to touch a stone to the left you need to make a circle around (going directly left resets the sequence)
[close]

Khris

Is there a way to
Spoiler
successfully break into the Arvandel's study? I can enter via the window, but even when he's gone, it's still game over immediately.
[close]

Snarky

Oh FFS! Early in the game I clicked through all the dialog options with all the characters like a good adventure gamer, and now it turns out that I can't finish several of the quests just because I told people I wouldn't do them. Can't a gal change her mind?!

Specifically:
Spoiler
I can't give the flowers I finally managed to get from Eitri to Lithrasir because I told Liff she didn't want them. That apparently also closes off a couple of other quests. and I guess I can't deal with the whole Regin/Fafnir situation because I told both of them I'm staying out of it. Which I think means I can't get Andvari's armor because I can't get a dragon scale.
[close]

I guess the game is still completable, barely, but so much of it seems off-limits now that I'll probably have to start over from scratch. So that's what, 20 hours down the toilet?

Maybe it's just a matter of gaming philosophy, but I think it's so easy to click on dialog options even accidentally that stuff like this, that have irrevocable consequences far down the line (that aren't immediately obvious) should offer a confirmation dialog.

Fizzii

Oops. Dialog is meant to be read :P. We actually did have a bit of a debate about this but it was left as is in the end.

It is very possible to complete the game even while this one is failed; I wouldn't call it barely completable (unless you are a completionist).

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 03/01/2014 10:28:29
Spoiler
I can't give the flowers I finally managed to get from Eitri to Lithrasir because I told Liff she didn't want them. That apparently also closes off a couple of other quests. and I guess I can't deal with the whole Regin/Fafnir situation because I told both of them I'm staying out of it. Which I think means I can't get Andvari's armor because I can't get a dragon scale.
[close]
Spoiler
While it is a bit annoying, I don't really mind those Regin/Fafnir dialog options as they have at least some logical basis. Regin and Fafnir have a conflict and the heroine can choose to stay out of it. That makes sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to getting Andvari's armor (lindworms are randomly-encountered enemies, at least for the warrior).

But the dialog options with Liff and Lithrasir on the other hand definitely makes no sense at all. Why would the heroine lie and randomly sabotage their relationship? It really comes out of nowhere.
[close]

Fizzii

I wouldn't quite say that the heroine is 'randomly lying'. The option is there if you choose to use it, but for most players who are careful enough to read the dialog, they would generally not choose that option and therefore the heroine would never say it. Similar can be seen with Alviss. Might be useful for players who try to aim for less honour, but I agree that the jerk option is indeed counterproductive to completing quests.

Let's see...

Spoiler
If you can't help Liff, you can still help Kraka, Sigurd, Librarian and Sigrun.
[close]
Spoiler
If you can't help Lith, you can still help Jarl Ylfing, Aurvandel, and get Snorri to vouch for you. Volund is an automatic vote.
[close]

Daniel Eakins

Yeah personally I didn't click this option, because it was not what Lithrasir had said or suggested. It struck me as odd because this was maybe the only instance of a jerk option so early in the game. In any case, this by no mean diminished my enjoyment of the game :-D

Snarky

Quote from: Fizzii on Fri 03/01/2014 12:14:43
I wouldn't quite say that the heroine is 'randomly lying'. The option is there if you choose to use it, but for most players who are careful enough to read the dialog, they would generally not choose that option and therefore the heroine would never say it.

... Except this is an adventure game and it's routine to exhaust all dialog options (particularly when you're stuck). It'd be one thing if the game gave clear feedback that by saying this you had aborted the quest, but it doesn't; Liff just says he's disappointed. It's not unreasonable to assume you can still deliver the flowers and no real harm done.

Plus, at least on Liff's dialog menu is in the same position as the "let's talk about something else" option to leave various submenus, so if you're just clicking through that it's easy to click the "random lie" by mistake. And it's right above the "end conversation" option, so if you're not careful in aiming your cursor, it's easy to hit it by mistake. In replaying, I've had to reload twice because I accidentally clicked the wrong option. (It's actually a UI design principle that clicking on the wrong target in a menu is common enough that it shouldn't have irreversible consequences, e.g. if you hit quit instead of save, without at least a confirmation step.)

I don't want to complain too much, because the game is great, but this bit struck me as a wee bit unfair, and the "walking dead" aspect of it (where you don't discover that you did the wrong thing until many hours later) is very frustrating.

Fizzii

I know what you mean, though I am a little surprised you didn't notice his disappointment much earlier and the fact he didn't want to talk to you again. Anyway, we actually discussed having it as a sub option to prevent accidental clicks, but I guess it didn't happen due to the mound of bugfixing going on. We also discussed allowing the player to pick up the quest again, but the heroine having to explain her lie away just wouldn't have worked. Removing it is one option but I think Radiant liked to have some jerk options in there (similar to QFG I believe).

We're making notes, Radiant will work out what he wants to do with it :)

Snarky

Quote from: Fizzii on Fri 03/01/2014 20:56:07
I know what you mean, though I am a little surprised you didn't notice his disappointment much earlier and the fact he didn't want to talk to you again.

Eh? He didn't stop talking to me, I would have noticed that!
Yeah, the feedback is up to the designer(s) to decide what to do with, obviously. I was actually thinking I'd wait for v1.1 to have bugs and gameplay tweaks ironed out, but I just wanted to take a peek and then I was hooked. :P Almost done with the Sorceress playthrough now, with all the little sub- and sidequests solved.

Fizzii

He should've said something like 'That is really disappointing. Please leave me be.' and then subsequently 'Please leave me alone.' I'll get Radiant to check this works properly at any point during the quest when the player clicks this dialog.

FamousAdventurer77

Stuck on some sidequests playing as Warrior and discovered a funny bug...

The Haugbui
Spoiler
How do I get the vase for the haugbui's ashes? Because when I tried to use a flask on the ashes, it said it wasn't big enough. What do I need to give Eitri? I gave him "cat's footfall" earlier but have no idea how to find any of the other mystical items...I thought "sinew of a bear" meant something from the Gulon which led me to discover a funny glitch: I went back to its (still-headless) corpse, used my sword on it, and ended up with ANOTHER Gulon head haha.
[close]

Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
If I go to Thrivaldi's cave at midday and use the mirror, he moves over but nothing can get me to the sack-- she's got no stealth/lurking whatsoever so that's not possible, tried climbing, no dice, can't throw daggers at him...gah!
[close]

And what can you do with the strand of your own hair? I saw something in the dialog about Loki's tricks, but did not come across anything yet calling for it. Is it just a red herring?
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Dirt McStain

Sounds like you're playing as the warrior, in which case you have other options available to you.

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40The Haugbui
Spoiler
The vase is a normal item (not Eitri's) that you can buy at one of the shops :)
Spoiler
in Munarvagir.
[close]
[close]

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
Getting past Thrivaldi depends on which class you're playing. As a Warrior, you must use one of the skills which is characteristic of a Warrior.
Spoiler
Something involving Animal Ken.
Spoiler
Get a Fox and use it to fetch your items.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40And what can you do with the strand of your own hair? I saw something in the dialog about Loki's tricks, but did not come across anything yet calling for it. Is it just a red herring?
Spoiler
You could use it on the Lodestone to make a compass during the snowstorm sequence. I don't know if it has another use.
[close]

FamousAdventurer77

Thanks!! How did I miss that item in the shop? :confused:

I never would've thought of the fox solution! Heh.
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Cogliostro

Quote from: Daniel Eakins on Sun 05/01/2014 10:30:44

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
Getting past Thrivaldi depends on which class you're playing. As a Warrior, you must use one of the skills which is characteristic of a Warrior.
Spoiler
Something involving Animal Ken.
Spoiler
Get a Fox and use it to fetch your items.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Okay, I'm playing the sorceress.  How am I supposed to get my stuff back?

One other question, after the rescue in svartalfheim, giants roam the Jarnvidr.  I get *stomped* in every battle against giants.  Did I rush to the rescue?  Was I supposed to "level up" more beforehand?  Will something tip the balance in my favor?  Or, should I stick to my strategy of running for my life?

- Cogliostro

Snarky

I think in this section of the game you're meant to be outmatched, and running from battle is often a good idea. They don't tend to give you any loot, either. That being said...

Bergrisir are slow and predictable; if you learn their "tells" you should be able to sidestep all their attacks without too much trouble. I just keep whacking them with my staff until they fall down. They're basically like trolls, only a bit bigger. You can probably tackle these.

Muspells (fire giants) are tougher, because they have more different attacks and you can't just rely on sidestepping left/right to dodge them. I assume frost bolt is the way to go when it comes to attacking them, but I'm not sure. (It's better to get the frost bolt as early in the game as possible, ideally before you go to Svartalfheim.) I tend to run away from them, but they are tenacious: sometimes they've chased me around half the map. (For some reason I never think to use Shadow to throw them off track; too caught up in the chase, I think.)

Jotunns are tough sons of bitches, and have a nasty tendency to lop your head off. For my money, the toughest enemy in the game, except only for that goddamn moose-rat-bear. Definitely avoid until you've leveled up considerably. (They catch you in ice when you run, so you might have to flee repeatedly until you finally get away. Or just use Shadow, I guess.) Fortunately they are rather rare (although there are one or two forced fights against them). The most powerful spells seem to be most effective against them, if you can manage to keep dodging at the same time, and duck whenever they swing that axe.

Cogliostro

Snarky,

Where did you pickup/buy Frost Bolt?

- Cogliostro

Snarky

If you play Sorceress, at least:

Spoiler
You get it from the Aesir stone outside Egther's keep.
[close]

Charity

Last Chapter:
Spoiler
Tied to a rock, troll and varg are dealt with but don't seem to be able to do anything.
[close]

LTGiants2000

Lyaer:
Spoiler
You have to use the Honey in order to get the Varg to leave
[close]

Now I am stuck at the same part but JUST after that if anyone knows what I should do....

Spoiler
Still tied to the rock with Thrivaldi standing right there. I am a mage but can't cast any spell and don't know how to get untied.
[close]

Snarky

Lyaer, what class are you playing?

LTGiants:
Spoiler
Is there anything special about the rock you're tied to?
[close]
Spoiler
Didn't you do something to that rock once before?
[close]
Spoiler
Cast Blessing on rock.
[close]

Cogliostro

Playing as sorceress, killed the Haugbui, spoke to Aurvendal, and nothing...  what am I supposed to do to get the reward?

- Cogliostro

Snarky

Spoiler
Go back to the city gates at nightfall, and you'll see that the haugbui has returned. (That's the problem with undead monsters, they don't stay dead.)

To learn more about putting it to rest for good, talk to Aurvandel about it, and read up on the haugbui in the Adventurer's Handbook, found in the Guild, Library or (another location you may not have visited yet).
[close]

Tramponline

Got a little issue with the Regin/Fafnir-questline:
Spoiler
I'm playing a thief and I've retrieved the chest and killed Fafnir (realized too late that Regin might've bent the thruth about the origin of that chest). Now, when I try to give it to Regin, he
says something along the lines of: "Very clever, but you already sold that (chest) to me". ...and I swear, I haven't.

Is this somehow connected to the fact that I've pick-pocketed that horse figurine off him somewhat earlier in the game? (...and what does the horsy toy do, by the way? Found no use for it yet.):cheesy:
[close]

Exploitation glitch(...or intentional?):
Spoiler
(Playing the thief) At Odin's Shrine in Svartalfheim one can get unlimited potions by throwing daggers at the open chest, again and again. With every consecutive hit another flask pops up.
[close]

Fizzii

Trampoline, those are bugs.

Spoiler
The horse is the reward for chest. Try using the horse.
[close]

Cogliostro

Playing sorceress, in Svartalfheim, trying to complete the sliding puzzle in Andvari's house:  The block that looks like an electrical ground *might* indirectly connect to the leads on the right, and the one with nine blue dots on a circle *might* indirectly connect to the one at the bottoms, and the triangle might represent Nidraller and maybe that has to connect directly to the lead on the right, and my brains are fried.  Can I get a hint?

- Cogliostro

Fizzii

Consider what Andvari calls it and its greater significance.

Spoiler
It's not *just* a slider puzzle that needs to be solved.
[close]

Thaumaturge

I'm stuck on the purple-crystal puzzle in Svartalfheim; I have seen that the solution is posted further up the thread, but I'd prefer to at least partially solve it myself, so would someone please give me a hint?

Specifically, I don't know what I'm trying to achieve.

Should I be trying to get all five crystals to light at least once (meaning, given that all but one light another, that I'd touch only three myself)? (Or each one twice, or thrice...?) Indeed, does the lighting of a crystal in response to my lighting another count as though I'd touched that one, or is it intended as a hint of some sort? Are the sounds produced by, or the patterns within the crystals relevant? Am I supposed to touch all five in some order? Am I missing some clue as to the intended order?

In short, I feel somewhat directionless facing the puzzle, and would appreciate a hint; my thanks for any given. ^_^

(I have discovered from the Caravel Forum that I should exit the puzzle between attempts, since there may be a bug that prevents it from recognising the correct sequence after incorrect entries.)

Snarky

Spoiler
You're supposed to touch each of the crystals once in a particular order. The tones or the particular crystal structures in each crystal are not relevant.

The "echo" in another crystal when you touch one is a hint about the sequence. For a further hint:
Spoiler
Svartalfheim is something of an "opposite land" where things are upside down, reversed, inside out, etc. That's reflected in the crystal pings.
[close]
[close]

Tramponline

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Wed 15/01/2014 20:55:45
Indeed, does the lighting of a crystal in response to my lighting another count as though I'd touched that one, or is it intended as a hint of some sort?
Spoiler
These are hints on how to solve it. Check which crystal is triggering what other crystal. Are there exceptions to this rule? Build a sequence based on your observations.
[close]
Hope that helps...

...darn, I type slow. What Snarky writes...

Thaumaturge

Ah, wonderful -- thank you both, your hints are, I believe, just what I was looking for. ^_^

Matt620

Hey, I started playing this game, made my way through, rather fond of it, found it immersive and very reminiscent of the QFG series.

Stuck on the final battle, though, as a sorceress.

I
Spoiler
cast Flame Aura to distract the giant, then Shadow to get in the corner. But after that, none of my spells work. I've got all of them, what am I doing wrong?
[close]

slydog

This is an amazingly good game!  But I am completely stuck on the not just a slider puzzle... Any more help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Fizzii

Spoiler
Ignore all the doodads on the tiles themselves; those are just decorations. Then think about what those tiles represent, and look at what's outside of the actual sliding board (there's three connections outside).
[close]

Snarky

Quote from: Matt620 on Thu 16/01/2014 01:57:21
Hey, I started playing this game, made my way through, rather fond of it, found it immersive and very reminiscent of the QFG series.

Stuck on the final battle, though, as a sorceress.

I
Spoiler
cast Flame Aura to distract the giant, then Shadow to get in the corner. But after that, none of my spells work. I've got all of them, what am I doing wrong?
[close]

Spoiler
Your spells don't work because Egther is within a protective circle. You need to do something else first. Specifically, there's another spell you can use against his first attack instead of Flame Aura that will give you a chance to take the necessary action.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

About the librarian's hidden book :
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
- I have decrypted the poem
- I have translated the poem
- I don't understand who is this "unarmed opponent" I'm supposed to run from.
I've considered it might be a pun (an armchair is "armed"), or maybe it just tells you to run in the opposite direction from something/someone harmless (the ghost?). But I can't figure it out.

Knowing if that must be done inside or outside the library would narrow my quest.

[close]

About the thief:
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
I probably didn't pick the right dialog choice when waking up (I chose: "stop, thief!") and the heroin didn't get fight and didn't get the piece of cloth. OK.

Since then I'm hoping the thief will come back but he/she never does. I leave the window open and I'm loaded with money, to no avail.
[close]

Snarky

The book:
Spoiler
The whole "quest" is about finding a book in the library, and the whole thing takes place within the library.

Spoiler
If you don't understand the poem, maybe you can find some help interpreting it?
Spoiler
Check out the different library sections. (There's even an index with a map.)
[close]
[close]
[close]

The thief:
Spoiler
As a sorceress, there's a certain prerequisite you need to respond effectively to the burglar. If you don't have it in time for the break-in, you might want to reload an earlier save-game, because getting the burglar to return can apparently be a bit tricky, if it's possible at all.

Spoiler
You need to think like a sorceress.
Spoiler
You need to have a certain spell.
Spoiler
You should solve the library puzzle first.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

About the hidden book - The weirdest thing just happened : i solved the puzzle without even knowing how.
Spoiler

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 17/01/2014 19:27:35
Spoiler
If you don't understand the poem, maybe you can find some help interpreting it?
[close]
I had guessed (even before reading your clue) that maybe some other book in the library could help me interpretate the poem better. So, I had been clicking on (I believe) all sections of the library, with the poem. None of them responded, except one, that said something apparently irrelevent (I can't remember what, though, I must confess). I remained stuck.

After reading your clue I thought "Oh, I should ask someone if they understand the poem" so I went to show the poem to every single character in the game (except the orphan girl, I couldn't find her), including the capital. Nobody seemed to be interested.
So I went back to the library and thought "maybe I forgot to click on one of the bookshelves", so I took the note in the inventory, clicked randomly on the first bookshelf under my cursor, and BOOM "this is the book you're looking for!"
Duh?

I don't know if that's supposed to happen when you click on the entire bookshelf after you got the relevant clue (and that would mean I got the clue without knowing it), or if I got incredibly lucky and randomly clicked on the one pixel where the book was.

[close]

About the thief:
Spoiler

I got to enter regin's house after using Sixth Sense.
Was it possible to enter his house before? Because the scenery depicted in the house looks so "normal" that it makes me suspect I could enter that house any time (provided Regin was in), but I just got incredibly unlucky and always tried when he was out. And you have no idea how hard I tried (I stayed awake 24 hours, taking one-hour rests, to try at every hour of the day!)

[close]

Snarky

Book:
Spoiler
Clicking the poem on the poetry section of the library identifies is as being from a book by some Sun Tzu-expy, a famous general. Then when you click in the military strategy section, you can locate the book. Tada! (So yes, it does all make sense if you pay attention to the narration.)
[close]

Thief:
Spoiler
No, I don't think you can enter Regin's house before the Sixth Sense spell leads you there. In any case, you need to get in there while he's out. Afterwards you can sometimes find his house open with him gone gods know where.
[close]

Dirt McStain

Thief:
Spoiler
The thief will not rob you twice. You need to get your stuff back, preferably before going to Svartalfheim. You wont be able to enter Regin's house until you have a good reason to. You'll need the library book puzzle spell to give you that reason. I don't remember if you have to level up your spell's skill level first.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Is there any place at all where you can sleep in Svartalfheim ?

Dirt McStain

You can sleep at Eitri's house and at the mushroom cave, I think.

FamousAdventurer77

Last chapter, final showdown...and Fenrir keeps mauling me. I have a Warrior totally leveled up and with Balmung no less! How is this thing slicing me open without fail like a baked potato no matter what?! It's just impossible to defeat and worse yet I can't use any potions.

Fizzii

Is your difficulty on normal?

You need to watch his cues and dodge them. Once he isn't making a cue, you have time to attack.

FamousAdventurer77

Yep, on normal difficulty. Heh, debating sliding it to Easy!

Fizzii

I just had a look, and Fenrir is challenging, but he is definitely killable :) My character didn't have max stats or Balmung either.

Spoiler
You need to be patient and make sure you're dodging/blocking, and only when he's obviously not attacking do you attack. When he is on low hp, he'll go into a frenzy, so you need to be extra careful there. If you have your game speed on max, I suggest putting it back to the default middle setting as it might be too hard to respond to on the fastest speed setting.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

A little tip for the sorcerers (and warriors?) who get accused of being thieves at night in the castle, when they were actually there "by mistake":

Spoiler

Here is how to reproduce this semi-bug:
- be in the magician's lab during the day
- wait for him to tell you to get out of his lab (because he needs to go into town)
- a script automatically makes you walk back to the castle's hall
- immediately go back to the magician's lab. you can't get in because there is the magic barrier
- wait in this spot until the magician comes back
[if you're unlucky , at this stage the night has fallen]
- wait a little longer. The magician might want to leave again (in the middle of the night) and expells you from his lab.
- the script automatically makes you walk to the hall
- you're screwed: a guard immediately calls you thief. you get arrested and lose the game.

The way to work around that semi-bug:
- try to use the telescope. If you're lucky enough (I'm not sure if it depends on you trying several times, or on your speech skills), the magician will let you do it.
- while you're looking through the telescope and click on "WAIT", the magician cannot ask you to leave his lab (or if he does, it has no effect)
- therefore you're safe from being expelled to the castle's hall, and arrested.

[close]

slydog

So, if I said the wrong thing when I saw the thief in the night, and now I cannot open the door to the guild, is my game "broken," requiring a reload?
(I figured out to use 6th sense too late, and the password had been changed.)  - I guess I need a mirror to move the troll and wake up the jarl?

How do I get some fish to lure the cat?
thanks.

Dirt McStain

What you say to the thief doesn't really matter. The fact that you can't enter the guild now is a bug and will be fixed in v1.1. This is caused due to advancing the game too far without entering the guild first. You won't get the mirror back but it doesn't prevent you from finishing the game. If it bothers you too much, reload a saved game from before you entered Svartalfheim.

The fish
Spoiler
can be caught at the lake with a net.
Spoiler
Use blessing to guarantee that you will catch one.
[close]
[close]

slydog

thanks!

I've walked the jarl into the city by force bolting him, but I can take him no farther, as he summons guards if I strike him inside the city.  Am I doing this wrong?

Dirt McStain

That's another known bug. The correct solution involves the mirror.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dirt McStain on Sun 19/01/2014 04:21:25
The fact that you can't enter the guild now is a bug and will be fixed in v1.1. This is caused due to advancing the game too far without entering the guild first. Reload a saved game before Svartalheim.
Ouch :'( Svartalheim is way too far back. I guess I'll give up on the game. Unless, as you say, it's not required to wake up the Jarl to finish the game.

To get the fish:
Spoiler

Quote from: Dirt McStain on Sun 19/01/2014 04:21:25
The fish can be caught at the lake with a net.
Not only. If the thief got your net and you're stuck by the guild-bug, you can get a fish from the barrel in the watchtower. If you're a sorceress you'll need the teleportation spell to access it (I can't remember how I got it but I think it was in Svartalfheim).
[close]

non-blocking glitch report
If you use the shadow spell in the magician's lab, the shadow exits the lab through the door...And walks way beyond the expected AGS walkbehind: you can see it walk on top of the room after it goes past the door.

Dirt McStain

Yeah, saving the Jarl is not required to complete the game.

Monsieur OUXX

I've reached a stage where I've completed a lot of quests and don't have much clues left to solve the remaining ones.
So please do forgive me for asking plenty of questions together. (also, please forgive me for never using the actual names of the characters. I can never ever remember them!)
Spoiler

Note: I'm playing sorceress, and I have access to neither the fishnet, the red gem nor the mirror, as they got stolen by the thief and I have the bug preventing from opening the thieves' guild despite using Sixth Sense.

- I have 3 riddles so far, but no answer yet to any of them. Since all the people seem to want to ask new riddles before giving answers to the ones I know, it could continue forever that way ;)
- I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find out by myself where the village hides the Eye of Thiassi. Is that so?
- I have the wings. I think I read somewhere it's how you're supposed to dispell the flames around the walkyrie, but to be honest I can't remember. I've tried anyway and it doesn't work. I don't know how to free the walkyrie.
- what am I supposed to do in the swamp? There could be the good ol' trck of force-feeding the plant, but I can't imagine anything that it would like.
- I challenged Skyrmir and lost (the bastard took my amulet). I don't know with what object I could challenge him again in the future -- or even how to win any of the challenges. Maybe the wings could help me win the speed challenge, no idea. And maybe making sure I'm very hungry could help me win the eating contest.
- I "cleaned" the workshop with the wind spell, but the craftsman got angry, turned into a fish, and disappeared forever. Was it because my wind spell's level was too low?
- I still have no idea how to unfreeze the frost flowers.
- I haven't found out how to sail the Jarl's drakkar. I would think mastering the wind spell was enough, but apparently not.
- does the sliding puzzle only allow to access Loki, or is there something else? (by the way: the Geneva convention should forbid slide-puzzles in point-n-clicks :D)
- what am I supposed to do with Loki?
- I'm not sure if at this stage there is a way for me to enter the Aegir's fortress, or if I'll have to wait later.
- I haven't found what human trinket I should trade with the collectioner in Svartalheim.
- I suspected I should give the crystal from the crystal cave to the glitter-lover elf, but it got "burnt" by mistake when I went walking in Midgard's daylight. Is it definitely too late?
[close]

Fizzii

Eitri:

Spoiler
Asks for human trinkets/paraphernalia, etc. Do you have any human tools which you may have bought or picked up which he might like? Try showing him various inventory items to see what he's after.
[close]

I don't understand why you thought...
Spoiler
that the wings dispell fire. That doesn't make much sense to me.
[close]

Crystal - nope, it's entirely optional, but you can't do anything about it once it's ash.

Monsieur OUXX

Eitri:

Spoiler

> Do you have any human tools which you may have bought or picked up which he might like?
I tried giving him the flintbox, the pick, the scarf, the vials... He doesn't like them. :(

> I don't understand why you thought that the wings dispell fire.
I think I mixed up several legends. After reading too much mythology, it appears I invented a legend of my own! Haha. I thought I read somewhere that these were like Odin's wings, that would flap so hard that they would create a magical wind that would extinguish the fire. If it all comes from my head, that's pretty funny ;-D
Maybe I'll meet the swan lady later on. That would make more sense. The blacksmith's wife said she doesn't want to say where she comes from, and "cannot go back". And she has feathers in her hair. Yet, she doesn't want the wings. So, I'm confused. I have no idea how I missed that before. I was convinced I had tried.

> Try and find somewhere where a fish would go.
I saw a fish jump out of the water, in the room with the squishy corals. But it happened so fast and never happened again, so I thought it was just an element of decoration for the room.

> Find Loki and then you will see what you can do with him.
I have already. He gets pretty mad at the loser Aegir who wants to bring Ragnarok himself. So I'm hesitating to set him free, and I wouldn't know how to do anyway (I tried disspell, fire, wind and other spells on him, the servant and the snake, to no avail).

> There is something else in the slider area to do,
I'm surprised by this. I used the sliding puzzle to make sure that all weird connections around the puzzle (outside of it) would be interconnected, and imagined it would be enough.
My understanding of what you said is that the real important things to connect are the funny pieces inside the puzzle, not the cnnections around. I'll have a closer look at them and try to guess what rooms they represent.

> sliding puzzles in themselves are boring, but the fun bit about this was figuring out what the sliding board does :P
I love the idea that the puzzle controls something in the real world. But sliding puzzles are not boring. They're just incredibly hard for people who don't have the skills! :( It's like Rubik's cube: some people find it easy, some people just can't do it. I'm pne of those.

> you can't do anything about it once it's ash.
So sad :( It would be cool if it grew back. It's silly (ok, not that silly) that there is an entire room full of crystals, and you can take only one of them, only once.
[close]

Fizzii

Ah, it sounds like you've already traded with Eitri once. He doesn't want more than one human object (so he will keep swapping back the other item you gave him in exchange for the new one you give him).

If you want to trade with Eitri some more, talk to him again, and see what other things he wants. These are harder to get.

Monsieur OUXX

Thanks a lot Fizzii, you're being of great help to enjoy the game to the fullest.

EDIT: bug reports
Spoiler

- when fish Andvari briefly jumps out of the water in the corals room, if yu're quick enough you can look at him, and you get the description of a person, not a fish. A person carrying stuff in their pockets.
- in that same situation you can also talk to him, and it crashes the game.
- maybe the two bugs above also exist when he's in the waterfall, I didn't try.

- when fish Andvari is swimming in the waterfall, you can attack him with the magical dart spell, and he calls for help (as expected), and people come to arrest you. But then instead of the "death screen", the game freezes (infinite loop I suppose).

I still haven't figured out how to capture him, I hope I don't need the net, since the thief has it :(
[close]

Fizzii

Yes, you do need the net. In V1.1, there will be some conditions to make sure you retrieve your stuff before the story gets too far in.

Spoiler
Fortunately, completing Andvari's quest is also entirely optional (you just don't get cool armor).
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

About the adventurers' guild secret stach
Spoiler

how do you access the button in the fireplace as a sorceress? I don't know what tool could work. The pick is "too short" but she won't pick up any sword or spear, and she won't use the shovel, so I don't know. I don't think this should be solved with magic, should it?
[close]

About the riddles
Spoiler

which character gives the answer to the "wet coat" riddle?
[close]

Archery
Spoiler

I read in a previous tip that winning the archery contest was a very subtle and clever puzzle. Well, I'm probably not subtle enough ;-D I Svartalfheim there is a big magnet on display. In any classic point-n-click, I would do it in the good ol' way:  I'd put the giant magnet behing the practice target, but I doubt it's the solution here ;)
[close]

Fizzii

Riddles - I can't tell you as these are randomly assigned.

slydog

Obviously, I'm doing something completely wrong: when I ask for riddles, the people tell me a riddle, and I always respond that I don't know.

Wings?  Where are they?

Can you even win the archery contest as a sorceress?
I helped myself with a spell, as indicated, but that wasn't enough.

thanks again.  I love this game, but am very fearful that I will eventually be forced to restart as I've messed up too much with the not finding the thieves' guild before locking myself out of it.

Dirt McStain

Quote from: slydog on Tue 21/01/2014 05:02:45Wings?  Where are they?
Spoiler
Spend some time exploring Fornsigtuna at night to find out.
[close]

QuoteCan you even win the archery contest as a sorceress?
I helped myself with a spell, as indicated, but that wasn't enough.
Spoiler
Dont forget that wind is a factor.
[close]

Fizzii

Riddles - you probably need to find a couple of people who aren't easy to find.

You should be able to finish the game, but given you don't have your stuff back from the thieves' guild, it might have been possible to lock yourself out by telling Liff/Lithrasir that they aren't interested in the other. Though, there is technically another glitch in the game which would still allow you to progress anyway (you will skip a little content doing this though). Of course, we intend to have this all fixed in v1.1. Hopefully, in the meantime, you have been careful with your dialog so you don't miss out on any story bits :)

Regnum Eternum

Spoiler
I have the bug where the cat runs from me at the gates to the town and doesn't reappear at the frozen garden for me to get it again. Since this keeps me from getting the librarian to approve of me and also keeps me from getting the shopkeeper's approval (no cat paw print, thus no rune stick), does this mean I have to start the game over from basically the beginning? I am a sorceress so I can't fight Sigurd.
[close]

I went very far in the game since then before I found out that I needed to get the cat to progress.

Edit: Okay, I managed to get everyone else but those two, so I can get the Eye. :)

Monsieur OUXX

Archery
Spoiler
> Dont forget that wind is a factor.
From the beginning I'm trying to cast the wind spell, but instead of making the heroine better, it's like she's only trying to disturb the archer. He says "oh, you want to challenge me? I'm too good for that". And then when I give a try at archery, the wind spell has no effect (it's already disspelled).
It's the other factor that I must be missing.

I've read that the spell needed is Blessing. But how do you get that spell? I hope it's not with the riddles game (see below).
[close]

Riddles
Spoiler

Is it normal that two characters ask the same riddle? That might explain why I'm stuck. Odinn I mean, Loki (sorry, I'm tired) asked the same "new" riddle as the wizard did.
[close]

Frost flowers and Swan wings
Spoiler

Nobody asked about the frost flowers here, so I must be the only one who got unlucky until very late in the game. I wish to help others: As a sorceress, you get them by being in the flowers' screen at the right time of the day/night. Or you can just look through the wizard's telescope and spy on that location all day.
Same goes for the swan wings: if I haden't been walking around restlessly day and night in Fornsigtuna , I would have never found them.
[close]

Snarky

Blessing:
Spoiler
You just buy it from Liff!
[close]

How to get each spell:
Spoiler
Magic dart: Bought from Aurvandel, maybe? Don't recall... You get it pretty early in the game, anyway
Flame aura: Given by Aurvandel
Sixth Sense: Solve library-book quest
Shadow (doppleganger): don't remember (maybe win one of the early rounds of Aurvandel's magic maze game?)
Channel (cast magic from HP if your mana is empty): don't remember
Blessing: Buy from Liff
Arctic Wind: From viking ship (cast Magic Dart on dragon's head)
Blink (teleport): From winning random encounter with a svartalf
Dispell: From Eitri (by trading, I think)
Ice Bolt: From Aesir stone outside Egther's keep (cast Blessing)
Shield: From adventurers' guild hidden compartment
Lightning Bolt: Solve Aurvandel's riddle quest
[close]

Riddles:
Spoiler
You don't meet Odinn in the game (spoiler, I guess), so I doubt that. :P You mean Loki? Let's see... I think the riddle-trading participants are: Aurvandel, Hervor, Liff, Alviss, Loki and Arngrim. You can lock yourself out of this quest by either giving Hervor her wings too soon, or screwing up with Alviss. The dialog feedback on repeated conversations isn't great, so maybe your impression that multiple characters are asking the same riddle is a misunderstanding? Or if you're switching between different savegames, maybe it has to do with the random assignment?
[close]

Frost flower:
Spoiler
You can grab a frost flower at any point using a combination of Blink, Arctic Wind and Flame Aura. Note that carrying around a frost flower makes you more vulnerable to the cold.
[close]

Thaumaturge

Archery:
Spoiler
If the wind is already blowing in the area, that might deflect your arrow.
[close]
Spoiler
Look around for some indication as to how the wind is blowing.
[close]
Spoiler
Look at the grass near the bottom-left of the screen.
[close]
(Note too that weapons skill might -- I think -- be a factor.)

Monsieur OUXX, if I may ask:

Regarding the frost flowers --
Spoiler
What effect did the time of day have? I got them -- playing as the sorceress -- simply by casting Arctic Wind, if I recall correctly.
[close]

Regarding the riddles --
Spoiler
Where did you encounter Odinn? I don't think that I met him at all. (Although I did encounter -- and riddle with -- Loki, as I recall.)
[close]

[edit] I see that Snarky has answered at least some of my questions as I was writing; thank you, Snarky. ^_^

Radiant

Quote from: Regnum Eternum on Tue 21/01/2014 07:58:56Edit: Okay, I managed to get everyone else but those two, so I can get the Eye. :)
Well done!

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 21/01/2014 11:53:25Is it normal that two characters ask the same riddle?
Yes, it is.

Monsieur OUXX

I see that me claiming to play riddles with Odinn has cast confusion :D I meant Loki, of course. My days are so full that I play that game between 1am and 3am... hence the braindead questions ... and the mistakes in their phrasing :)

@thaumaturge: about the frost flowers
Spoiler

Can you really get them with the wind spell? that would make my brain explode, considering how frustrated I was that all you have to do is ask Heime to cut them with his wooden sword when he happens to be around... but the sorceress cannot perform the exact same action with any of the cutting objects she owns!!!
[close]

Regnum Eternum

Wings:

Spoiler
I read about the wings being in Forsigtuna at night, but I walked around town at different hours of night and never saw them. I saw an owl flying around and guards. I couldn't sneak into the wizard's tower with magic, so I assume they aren't in there. I even melted the snowman to look inside it but there's nothing. Do I have to talk to someone before they appear? I can ask the guild lady about where she's from and she says she misses it but I can't ask specifics.
[close]

slydog

Ice wall spoiler:
Spoiler
where is Loki?  Is he behind the ice wall that I haven`t found a way to do anything with?
[close]

Tramponline

Wings:
Spoiler
Stick around the south-eastern most screen inside the city walls of Fornsigtuna, around the time the bar closes.
[close]

@slydog
Spoiler
Yes! - In order not to spoil it for other players: It'd be great if you could re-edit your post and put your question inside spoiler brackets, like so:

[hide]where is LokiÉ  Is he behind the ice wall that I haven`t found a way to do anything withÉ[/hide]

Remember, quite a lot of players reading this thread might not be as far as you are.
[close]

Thaumaturge

@Monsieur OUXX, regarding the frost flowers:
Spoiler
I've just gone back to check, and yes, I do believe that you can break off a flower with nothing but Arctic Wind.
[close]
Spoiler
Although you may have to work on your character's expertise in that spell, and you'll likely still want a way to handle the flower safely...
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Riddles
Spoiler

I really need a straightforward answer, because I'm possibly in a deadlock because of the "thieves guild" bug.
- I need to win the riddles challenge to have enough support for the eye of Thiassi
- I believe the riddle/answer I'm missing is the one of the elf turned to stone (Alviss, is it)
- I have turned him back to normal earlier in the game using the eitur. Then he turned back to stone. I have no more eitur.
Am I definitely stuck?
[close]

Adventurers' guild secret stach
Spoiler

- What tool do you use to trigger the switch in the fire?
[close]

Thaumaturge

Regarding the stash:
Do I remember correctly that you're playing as a sorceress? If so, then:
Spoiler
Magic is the answer here, as I recall.
[close]
Spoiler
Try Flame Aura.
[close]
(I'm not a huge fan of that solution -- or rather the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
Flame Aura can be used to protect from heat
[close]
-- as I mentioned in the "Completed Games" thread for the game, as I recall.)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Thu 23/01/2014 17:01:42
Flame Aura
Spoiler
can be used to protect from heat
[close]

What now? (wrong)
But... but... the valkyrie flames! :-\
Ok, thanks a lot, that should unblock a lot of things. Thanks thanks thanks.

slydog

Sorry for that!  Thanks for editing that out - I didn't realize that it was spoilerish.

any hints on how to speak to Loki, please?
thanks again.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: slydog on Fri 24/01/2014 06:59:58
any hints on how to speak to Loki, please?

Spoiler

Dd you explore all Svartalfheim?

Spoiler

Did you understand the purpose of Arngrim's sliding puzzle?

Try to toy around with Arngrim's puzzle and then go walkng in the caves West of Svartalheim's entrance. You might see messages like "the caves look different from last time you visited them", or "the cave quickly turns into a dead end".
Spoiler

Arngrim's sliding puzzle allows you to litterally move the caves of Svartalfheim. Don't pay attention to the weird decorations of each piece of the sliding puzzle. All you need to do is notice that some of them are turns, some of them are deadends, some of them are crossroards... And also notice how there are 3 connections outside of the sliding puzzle : one of them has the same symbol as the elvish city's entrance. It is the entrance. Another one represents an ice wall, and the third one I can't remember.
Spoiler

Try to connect the ice wall to the rest of the caves, and then go walk there.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Vouching in Munavagir : Sigrun?
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
I have the librarian's vouching, Liff's vouching and Kraka's vouching.

But Ihave no idea how to get Sigrun's vouching. I asked everyone about her dead husband, Helgi. I know he died in a browl with that guy Jag or Hag from Fornsigtuna. Over there I also asked everyone about them. I know from reading the epitaph that he got burried in the grave next to the haugbui's one. I also know that Helgi and Hag got burried together (or next to each other,  can't remember).

But I have no clue as per what I should do for Sigrun, so that whe likes me. I suppose it something to do with honoring the memory of Helgi. I tried talkng about him to the Valkyrie, but there is no such dialog option.
[close]

Snarky

the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
[close]

I think that makes perfect sense based on available information. After all, as Fizzii says, otherwise you'd burn up whenever you cast the spell. I assume you can also use it to defend against fire attacks in battle (e.g. certain attacks by svartalfar and muspells). As for the ring of fire around the valkyrie, that's a magical barrier which only manifests as flames. Some better feedback if you try that solution would definitely be useful, though.

Re Sigrun:
Spoiler
You need to find a way to let her be at peace with her husband's death. There's a certain item Eitri will trade you that will give her an opportunity for that. The second thing on Eitri's wish list is news of Alviss, so try bringing that (I know you got Alviss re-petrified, but I believe just letting Eitri know what happened to him would be good enough for a trade). However, I think there is a way to lose that object (to Skrymir), and if you've done that you're probably screwed. You might still be able to get Regin to vouch for you, though.
[close]

SarahLiz

Wow.  This game is amazing and so utterly complex and I'm loving playing it.  I know you guys are currently working hard to get version 1.1 out.  But (and please don't flog me for this), will there ever be a walkthrough?  I would gladly pay for one, as frequently frustrated and stuck as I continue to get!  I'd love nothing more than to finish this game...the hints do help some, but it's just really hard to complete without constantly asking ten zillion questions.

Just a question...loving the beauty of this game though, the graphics are breathtaking!

Sarah

Tramponline

Quote from: SarahLiz on Fri 24/01/2014 20:51:19
...but it's just really hard to complete without constantly asking ten zillion questions.
Then I'd say shoot us the first few. No one was ever ostracized for asking question in the 'Hints & Tips' thread - not even a zillion! ;) Which class are you playing?

slydog

Hello again,
I'm having a really hard time with the end boss fight...

Spoiler
he keeps freezing me with the ice storm
Spoiler
I had read that flame aura was supposed to work, but it dissipates the ice storm, and I am frozen solid.  I also tried pre-casting it before I open the door, but that made no difference
[close]
I thought maybe things weren't working right because I was carrying a frozen flower, so I put that in storage, but that didn't help.
[close]

Thaumaturge

@slydog:
Spoiler
Try another spell. How did you get through the blizzard after rescuing Heime?
[close]
Spoiler
Try Sixth Sense.
[close]

(Honestly, I would have expected your solution to work too, I think.)

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/01/2014 16:03:53
the lack of a clue that
Spoiler
[close]

I think that makes perfect sense based on available information. After all, as Fizzii says, otherwise you'd burn up whenever you cast the spell. I assume you can also use it to defend against fire attacks in battle (e.g. certain attacks by svartalfar and muspells). As for the ring of fire around the valkyrie, that's a magical barrier which only manifests as flames. Some better feedback if you try that solution would definitely be useful, though.

Eh, I still disagree: it makes sense if you presume that the magic follows the laws of physics, but that's not necessarily accurate (and often inaccurate, I feel). As I said, it seems not uncommon that magic simply doesn't harm the caster in such circumstances, whether or not it protects the caster from similar but externally-applied effects. As to the spell burning the caster, it's shown to have variable effects, warming one object and incinerating another, so it could simply be that the character adjusts the intensity to "warm" when used on herself.

I do agree with regard to the Valkyrie's ring of fire.

I don't think that I ever tried using it to defend against fire attacks in combat; I generally relied on dodging (and being able to absorb at least some blows) for defence, as I recall. (I did try Flame Aura as a defence against physical attacks, hoping to damage my opponent, but after what seemed to be inconsistent results -- it seemed to work with some enemies and not others -- and given the slightly awkward control scheme I think that I ended up setting it aside as a significant combat option, and so didn't think to try it when I encountered fire-wielders later in the game.

slydog

Thanks Thaumaturge, that worked, even if I don't understand the designers' reasoning why...

In regards to the debate about Flame Aura, the difficulty that I have with it is that it seems to do two things that are exact opposites.  When convenient, it acts as a heat cloak, keeping cold out - such as casting it to keep the cold out when you are walking outside.  But, it also acts as a protection from heat!  For example, when combating Muspells.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 24/01/2014 16:03:53
Regin's vouching
Spoiler
You might still be able to get Regin to vouch for you, though.
[close]

I found that out by myself, but I'm almost positive that at some stage the village leader said that Regin wouldn't count as he came from somewhere else -- but he ends up counting anyway. Did I dream that up, or is it a small inconsistency in the dialogs, that will be fiwed in 1.1?

Final battle as a sorceress
Spoiler

I came in the castle carrying a f**kload of potions, but they all got removed. Is that normal? (to my great shame, real life forced me to be away from screen during the whole dialog with Egther -- i came back just in time to fight the giant wolf of Ragnarok so maybe i missed something)
[close]

Final battle as a sorceress (question 2)
Spoiler

Do you also need the poison when you're a sorceress?
I mean, I've disspelled all 4 spells that Egther casts, but then it loops. And the second time, the spell that drains life actually works and kills me.
[close]

Thaumaturge

Regarding the final battle as a sorceress:
Spoiler
No, I don't think that the poison is the intended solution.
[close]
Spoiler
You should have everything that you require: a sorceress relies on her magic!
[close]
Spoiler
Look for an opportunity -- more than one, in fact -- to cast an extra spell, rather than just countering his.
[close]
Successive hints for the stages of the fight, based on my memory of the fight:

Step 1:
Spoiler
First things first: dispel his protective circle!
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Disrupt on him.
[close]

Step 2:
Spoiler
Next, try to find a way to distract him.
[close]
Spoiler
What would a Frost Giant react most poorly to?
[close]
Explicit solution (I think; I may be misremembering here):
Spoiler
Cast Flame Aura on him.
[close]

Step 3:
Spoiler
That done, get out of the way!
[close]
Spoiler
(But don't let him notice that you've moved. ;))
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Shadow, then run to a nearby pillar. (I might have this step the wrong way around; if it fails, try running first.)
[close]

Step 4:
Spoiler
Now, give him a taste of his own medicine.
[close]
Spoiler
Use his own fire against him.
[close]
Explicit solution:
Spoiler
Cast Arctic Wind on him.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Thanks for the tips. I just looked at the first one to avoid spoiling myself ;)
Spoiler

I didn't spot on-screen that there were bits of him or his surroundings on which I could cast spells, nor did I notice that there were time sequences with openings (I felt like he was proceeding to hs next spell as soon as I defended myself).
[close]
I'll try again, paying more attention.

Snarky

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Sun 26/01/2014 19:20:32
Eh, I still disagree: it makes sense if you presume that the magic follows the laws of physics, but that's not necessarily accurate (and often inaccurate, I feel). As I said, it seems not uncommon that magic simply doesn't harm the caster in such circumstances, whether or not it protects the caster from similar but externally-applied effects. As to the spell burning the caster, it's shown to have variable effects, warming one object and incinerating another, so it could simply be that the character adjusts the intensity to "warm" when used on herself.

But that's just arguing why the game doesn't have to make Flame Aura protect against fire, it doesn't argue that it doesn't make sense that it does.

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Wed 29/01/2014 01:22:49
Regarding the final battle as a sorceress:

You're mixing up the order and forgetting a few steps in the final magic battle. Mr OUXX, I don't think you need to time the spells (apart from casting them quickly enough that you don't die, I mean you don't have to wait for an opening): it should always be one by Egther, one by you. You don't need to aim them at particular spots either (with maybe one or two exceptions, where it should be obvious). If I remember correctly, the more precise solution is:

Spoiler

Egther casts an energy bolt at you
Spoiler
Shield
[close]
Egther opens a pit under your feet
Spoiler
Blink
[close]
Egther drains your mana (it's possible that this step and the next one are the other way around)
Spoiler
You don't need to (and can't!) defend against this attack, because Channel lets you cast spells from your hitpoints. So use the opportunity to Disrupt the magic circle around him!
[close]
Egther summons a giant skeleton hand to grasp you
Spoiler
Blessing
[close]
Egther creates a blinding blizzard
Spoiler
Sixth Sense (doesn't quite make sense, but just go with it)
[close]
Egther throws another energy bolt
Spoiler
If you cast Shield again, you're basically setting yourself up to go through the cycle again, and when Egther drains you the next time, you die. Instead, Use Flame Aura to temporarily blind him.
[close]
Egther gets really pissed, wants to burn you
Spoiler
Cast Shadow and sneak behind a pillar
[close]
Egther still pissed
Spoiler
Use Arctic Wind to blow his own fire to him. If you get to this point without having dispelled his protective magic circle, you're out of luck and he kills you. Otherwise congratulations, you've won the game!
[close]
[close]

Re: potions

Spoiler
Yes, that's normal. When you enter Egther's keep, he freezes you (right before throwing you down to the Fenris Wolf), and all your potions are frozen solid. A nasty trick on players who've stocked up for the boss battle!
[close]

Thaumaturge

QuoteBut that's just arguing why the game doesn't have to make Flame Aura protect against fire, it doesn't argue that it doesn't make sense that it does.
For the sake of not pursuing the same debate in two different threads, I've answered this in the "Completed Game Announcements" thread.

QuoteYou're mixing up the order and forgetting a few steps in the final magic battle.
Ah, my apologies -- I was doing it from memory, and so may well have forgotten some elements. ^^;

QuoteMr OUXX, I don't think you need to time the spells (apart from casting them quickly enough that you don't die, I mean you don't have to wait for an opening): it should always be one by Egther, one by you. You don't need to aim them at particular spots either (with maybe one or two exceptions, where it should be obvious).
I didn't mean to imply either -- if I did, then it was by mistake, and I apologise again. ^^;

For the sake of clarity, my solutions given above weren't meant to describe the entire sequence, including the player's responses to the various attacks; after all, Monsieur OUXX has, I think, figured the appropriate responses. Instead, I believe that I meant to describe the additional steps to be taken in the opportunity provided by the one spell that goes uncountered.

Shadow1000

I'm stuck in the same place as a few others have been.

Spoiler
I am playing as a sorceress. I have been robbed while sleeping. I've used sixth sense many times in the room as advised but there's no piece of cloak. I used sixth sense all over the town and found Regin's house and spoke to him in his house. I have no idea how to proceed. I've read every post on this topic and I'm still stuck. Does the exact phrase I used when confronting the thief make a difference? If it makes a difference, I've casted it over and over and it's at level 18. Does the level of the spell matter?

I came back and Regin left. I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.

In addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Edited to add that I did solve this and I'm on chapter 2 now.
[close]

Thank you

SHADOW

Mandle

Never mind...Figured it out I think...

Snarky

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 03:01:11
Spoiler
I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.
[close]

The sequence is a bit fiddly (some kind of problem with the reset, maybe?), but that's indeed how you do it.
Spoiler
It also helps if you have an idea of the word to spell out. You have some suspicion as to what this place is, right?
[close]
(Even though you've solved it, this might be helpful to others.)

QuoteIn addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Actually...
Spoiler
There are several ways to get food without money. Sticking to Munarvagir, you can get free food from Sigurd every morning.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 02/02/2014 19:15:22
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 03:01:11
Spoiler
I see that the different switches have different letters and I suppose I have to touch them in a certain sequence to spell something to make something happen. I have no idea what sequence the letters are to be arranged. I tried using sixth sense in this room and following the sequence of the little ball and that didn't help.
[close]

The sequence is a bit fiddly (some kind of problem with the reset, maybe?), but that's indeed how you do it.
Spoiler
It also helps if you have an idea of the word to spell out. You have some suspicion as to what this place is, right?
[close]
(Even though you've solved it, this might be helpful to others.)

Spoiler
The reason I had trouble was because I didn't realize that there were drawers on the dresser and I thought it was one bit item so I was clicking the top rather than the drawer.
[close]

QuoteIn addition this is a timed puzzle because you are both hungry and tired and no way to get food without money and sleeping just makes you die of hunger.

Actually...
Spoiler
There are several ways to get food without money. Sticking to Munarvagir, you can get free food from Sigurd every morning.
[close]

I've read on the forum that this is possible if you've helped someone but I don't know where that person is or how to help him. If that's no longer possible then I suppose this opportunity is lost.

SHADOW

Snarky

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 19:30:02
I've read on the forum that this is possible if you've helped someone but I don't know where that person is or how to help him. If that's no longer possible then I suppose this opportunity is lost.

SHADOW

I'm pretty sure you already have.

Spoiler
Sigurd is the red-bearded innkeeper/mayor of Munarvagir who got knocked out by Thrivaldi the troll. I don't think it's possible to get to Munarvagir without helping him, at least not stay in his inn.
[close]

(And you don't actually need to sign your posts, your name is right next to them.)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 02/02/2014 23:56:50
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 02/02/2014 19:30:02

SHADOW

I'm pretty sure you already have.

Spoiler
Sigurd is the red-bearded innkeeper/mayor of Munarvagir who got knocked out by Thrivaldi the troll. I don't think it's possible to get to Munarvagir without helping him, at least not stay in his inn.
[close]

(And you don't actually need to sign your posts, your name is right next to them.)

I stay in his inn but no free lunch!

Fizzii

Yes, he doesn't prepare free meals if you left Sigurd where he was and went to the village to get help (the heroine would have automatically told Kraka that Sigurd was there).

If you help Sigurd when you find him straight away, then he will provide you with free meals.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Fizzii on Mon 03/02/2014 02:24:14
Yes, he doesn't prepare free meals if you left Sigurd where he was and went to the village to get help (the heroine would have automatically told Kraka that Sigurd was there).

If you help Sigurd when you find him straight away, then he will provide you with free meals.

I just want you to know that this game is awesome and gets more awesome the more I play! Kudos!

jackamo22

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem on my part
but PLEASE HELP! This is the best game I've played in years and so this block is painful

Ok here's the problem
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
Spoiler
The troll has done the kidnapping, I've got rid of the squirrel, taken the wooden sword, then it cuts away to the blacksmith and wife. When it cuts back there is no wooden sword in my inventory. I know I'm supposed to have a wooden sword to show to the wizard but it is not in my inventory. What's wrong?
[close]

thanks in advance

CaptainD

Spoiler
Go to the area you saw in the dream, by the tree with the sword stuck in it - the wooden sword is still there.
[close]

jackamo22

SPOILER

Oh yes I did that, went to the area in the dream (with the sword in the tree) the squirrel was guarding the wooden sword, so I kicked the squirrel, then picked up the sword (reminding my character of when she was child)
Then it cuts away "Meanwhile" to the blacksmith and his wife arguing.
Then it cuts back to the same area but I have no wooden sword in my inventory

Fizzii

Have you scrolled through your inventory using the up and down arrows?

jackamo22

Yes, I even tried emptying my inventory into the Guild chest before going to the tree place.
After the cut-scene my inventory was still empty

Radiant

Fizzii

You can send to me: fizzii_ish@yahoo.com if you don't have a place to upload it.

Saved games are located in C:\Users\<User Name>\Saved Games\Heroine's Quest saved games

jackamo22

I'm in "users" there's no folder marked "username"
KIDDING

Ok it's sent, please let me know when you got it.
Just tried it again, ran to the tree, kicked the squirrel, this time I was actually so relieved that it Still didn't work
I can also send you screenshots

Thanks for you help

CaptainD

Your copy has been hacked by animal rights campaigners, who saw you kick the poor helpless little squirrel OF DOOM and decided you had no right to a reward such as a wooden sword.

jackamo22

You know CaptainD, I'm so paranoid about that stuff, I just read the first part of your message and my heart went into my throat!!!
ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod was it a hacked copy? Did I download the game from the wrong site?? Are crystal shard secret pirates?? ohmygod ohmygod
Calmed down, Oh....a joke..........

Don't even joke about that stuff man, too soon, too soon

CaptainD

Quote from: jackamo22 on Wed 05/02/2014 21:10:15
Don't even joke about that stuff man, too soon, too soon

Sorry man, the loss of your wooden sword has obviously affected you more deeply than I realised!! (roll)

Radiant

Quote from: jackamo22 on Wed 05/02/2014 19:11:41The troll has done the kidnapping, I've got rid of the squirrel, taken the wooden sword, then it cuts away to the blacksmith and wife. When it cuts back there is no wooden sword in my inventory. I know I'm supposed to have a wooden sword to show to the wizard but it is not in my inventory. What's wrong?

Press the "up" button in your inventory and you'll see the sword.

jackamo22

Hi Radiant

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the way the inventory panel becomes 2 when you get more stuff?  (and you move between the two with the arrows) 

As I said above, after about the 5th time this happened, I emptied out all of my inventory into the chest and went to the tree empty handed. There was still nothing there after the cutscene. So surely there wouldn't be anywhere for the arrow to go, right?

EDITED TO ADD: You're right, problem solved. I'm so sorry.
Even though I had nothing in my inventory, I still had to 'click' on the arrow to make the wooden sword 'appear',
I never thought of that, because I thought my inventory was empty

Thank you

Shadow1000

Ok, I seem to be at a deadend here so I'm going to ask my questions and hopefully I'll be able to continue:

I'm playing as sorceress.

Spoiler
I'm at the point that I require 4 people to vouch in each city.

- It seems that I need the flowers in the other world. The person there wants me to find some guy (I suppose in exchange for the flowers). I have absolutely no idea where he is. I went to every room on both maps and no luck.
- I need the fish to catch the librarian's cat. I saw in the hints here that you need to use the blessing. I've done that repeatedly and it keeps telling me to come back tomorrow.
- Snorri tells me to meet him at the archery area. I don't have a bow or arrows or anything. I tried using my magic dart because I'm a sorceress but nothing. What am I supposed to do to impress him?
- One of the quests is to kill the haugbui at the entrance. I've done that 10 times but that doesn't get me anywhere or any new dialogue options with the wizard. What am I missing?
- How do I get a fox?
- I have 8 tinderboxes and 5 pickaxes. Can I sell them or do anything with them?
- I knocked down one of the frost flowers but get killed when I pick it up. What can I use for this?
[close]

Thank you

SHADOW

Snarky

Alviss:
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 09/02/2014 02:10:45
Spoiler
- It seems that I need the flowers in the other world. The person there wants me to find some guy (I suppose in exchange for the flowers). I have absolutely no idea where he is. I went to every room on both maps and no luck.
[close]
Spoiler
If you speak to the Valkyrie, you may get a hint.
Spoiler
What happens to svartalfar if they go out during the day?
Spoiler
Alviss has been petrified. Look for a stone formation that might be him.
Spoiler
It's on the eastern edge of the map, where you got the herbs.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Fish:
Spoiler
- I need the fish to catch the librarian's cat. I saw in the hints here that you need to use the blessing. I've done that repeatedly and it keeps telling me to come back tomorrow.
[close]
Spoiler
I think you can only fish once per day. Did you try actually following the instructions and coming back tomorrow?
[close]

Archery:
Spoiler
- Snorri tells me to meet him at the archery area. I don't have a bow or arrows or anything. I tried using my magic dart because I'm a sorceress but nothing. What am I supposed to do to impress him?
[close]
Spoiler
Don't worry about bow & arrows, you can just borrow Snorri's.
[close]

Haugbui:
Spoiler
- One of the quests is to kill the haugbui at the entrance. I've done that 10 times but that doesn't get me anywhere or any new dialogue options with the wizard. What am I missing?
[close]
Spoiler
What's the problem with the undead? They don't stay dead!
Spoiler
Try to do your research.
Spoiler
Read the book in the adventurers' guild, and talk to Aurvandil and anyone else who might know.
Spoiler
You should have learned that you need to burn the body and scatter the ashes to the wind.
Spoiler
Right after you defeat the haugbui, go to the graveyard (or use Aurvandil's telescope to spy on it).
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Fox:
Spoiler
- How do I get a fox?
[close]

Spoiler
There's a foxhole in a tree north-northeast of Munarvagir, but getting a fox out of its hole is not easy.
Spoiler
Better to look for one that's already out of its hole.
Spoiler
A fox pup will occasionally show up at the archery place.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Spare Equipment:
Spoiler
I have 8 tinderboxes and 5 pickaxes. Can I sell them or do anything with them?
[close]
Spoiler
You can trade one of them to Eitri. There's no particular use for the others, I think.
[close]

Frost flower:
Spoiler
- I knocked down one of the frost flowers but get killed when I pick it up. What can I use for this?
[close]
Spoiler
How do you usually defend against the cold?
Spoiler
... as a sorceress?
Spoiler
Use Flame Aura.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

As a sorceress :

How to get the cat:
Spoiler

There are two solutions to get fish
1) [I haven't done that myself so I don't know if it really works] use the fishnet on the lake's hole in the ice, after using Blessing. You'll catch a fish
2) (the easier one) Go into the watch tower on the frozen lake's shore (you'll need the teleportation spell first) and take a fish in the barrel.
[close]

How to get the flowers:
Spoiler

The flowers are owned by one the Elves in Svartalfheim. He has them on display, or tells you in a dialog that he owns them (I don't remember).

Spoiler

They are owned by the Svartalf who loves human trinkets. He will exchange them for some totally common human tool - the pick, if I recall properly.
[close]
[close]

How to do archery with Snorri:
Spoiler

Just talk to him, and use the corresponding dialog choice. I won't detail here how to win, though -- it's been explained before. It's a combination of two things.
[close]

To kill the haugbui:
Spoiler

Talk to everyone about haugbui, and read everything you can about that creature (specifically, there's that book in two locations in the game -- I believe in the wizard's lab and in the library, or something)
You will learn how to kill a haugbui "for real". Killing the spector is not enough, he will re-appear every night.
[close]

To get the fox
Spoiler

You can't get the fox but you can get some fox hair :
Here is a semi-detailed solution -- i left the interesting details out.
1) find the fox's lair
2) scare the fox so that it runs out
3) hit it in the proper fashion
[close]

What to do with extra tinderboxes and picks
Spoiler

I can't remember if you can sell them, but you should try giving them to the character who normally sells them (if I recall, the pick is on sale in the blacksmith's workshop, and the tinder is on sale in the grocery shop? I'm not sure anymore). It's worth a try!
[close]

How to pick up a frost flower once it's knocked off the flowers patch:
Spoiler

You can't touch them because they will freeze you. You need to warm it up. Don't you have a spell that does exactly that? It was too weak to use on the whole patch (as explained by the narrator), but it should work on a single flower.
[close]

Shadow1000

@Snarky and Mr OUXX:

Thank you VERY much for the assistance! I was able to get much further now with your help.

Spoiler
So, I have 2 items I'm stuck on:
- I got the flowers. I try to give them to Lithsair and she just says "oh my, where did you get flowers in the winter". I tried giving them to Lith and he doesn't seem to care. What am I missing?
- As far as the archery, I tried using blessing and using the grass as a guide. So, if I see the grass being blown to the right I aim for the left and vice versa. That doesn't seem to help at all.
- I can't pick up the frost flower with my flame aura. It says I'm not powerful enough. I'm level 28. What level is required? Do I even want/need the flower?
[close]

Thanks again!

Monsieur OUXX

What to do with the flowers
Spoiler

You're supposed to give them to... what's her name? Lithrasir is it? The owner of the tavern. Then she's supposed to take them, and then there is a new dialog where she says she'd like to meet her boyfriend and she gives you an accurate appointment. If she didn't, then it's a bug. I think she did but maybe you read the dialog too fast and missed the point.
[close]

archery
Spoiler

you're doing it right. Try again a few times, you should eventually manage to succeed.
[close]

frost flower
Spoiler

> I can't pick up the frost flower with my flame aura. It says I'm not powerful enough. What level is required?

Just cast the spell repeatedly to increase your level, until you manage to pick up the flower.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 09/02/2014 19:34:54
What to do with the flowers
Spoiler

You're supposed to give them to... what's her name? Lithrasir is it? The owner of the tavern. Then she's supposed to take them, and then there is a new dialog where she says she'd like to meet her boyfriend and she gives you an accurate appointment. If she didn't, then it's a bug. I think she did but maybe you read the dialog too fast and missed the point.
[close]

Yes, that's what I tried to do. There is no such dialogue option. I tried speaking to Liff and going through all those options. There must be something i haven't done yet.

I did get past the archery and got the first eye!

Now I'm trying to get the second one:

Spoiler
I got the librarian, Kraka and Regin to vouch. I was hoping that if I help in the battle against the trolls I would gain another vouch but not so. What that means is that I either need a vouch from Sigurd, the woman in the store or Liff. None of them are giving me a task though.
[close]

Any ideas?

Thank you

Snarky

Re flowers:

Spoiler
If you ever said to Liff that Lithrasir didn't want his flowers, or to Lithrasir that Liff wanted her to stop sending letters, you won't be able to do this quest. You've destroyed true love, you monster. :-\ (The dialog feedback for this scenario is pretty poor, and it's easy to say the wrong thing by mistake, so you may not realize what's gone wrong; this whole thing made me start over again when I played the game.)
[close]

Re vouching:

Spoiler
Liff will vouch if you help him with Lithrasir. You may have lost the chance to get his vote, though.

Sigrun's problem you should already know about, but she doesn't want to talk to you about it before you've gotten her trust. I think the battle should take care of that, but again, it's possible that if you pushed her on the subject earlier you have locked yourself out of the quest.

Spoiler
She needs to find peace over her husband's death. This quest involves research at the cemetery and by interviewing people in both towns, plus an object you should now have heard of.
[close]

Sigurd won't give you a quest, because he doesn't know what his problem is. But if you pay attention to what other people (especially those who have mystic knowledge or connections to other worlds) have to say about him, you should be able to figure out what is missing in his life. It also helps to know a little bit of the Sigurd/Sigfried story from the sagas and Niebelungenlied. Solving this quest is one of the most difficult ones, though.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 09/02/2014 22:17:03
Re flowers:

Spoiler
If you ever said to Liff that Lithrasir didn't want his flowers, or to Lithrasir that Liff wanted her to stop sending letters, you won't be able to do this quest. You've destroyed true love, you monster. :-\ (The dialog feedback for this scenario is pretty poor, and it's easy to say the wrong thing by mistake, so you may not realize what's gone wrong; this whole thing made me start over again when I played the game.)
[close]

Re vouching:

Spoiler
Liff will vouch if you help him with Lithrasir. You may have lost the chance to get his vote, though.

Sigrun's problem you should already know about, but she doesn't want to talk to you about it before you've gotten her trust. I think the battle should take care of that, but again, it's possible that if you pushed her on the subject earlier you have locked yourself out of the quest.

Spoiler
She needs to find peace over her husband's death. This quest involves research at the cemetery and by interviewing people in both towns, plus an object you should now have heard of.
[close]

Sigurd won't give you a quest, because he doesn't know what his problem is. But if you pay attention to what other people (especially those who have mystic knowledge or connections to other worlds) have to say about him, you should be able to figure out what is missing in his life. It also helps to know a little bit of the Sigurd/Sigfried story from the sagas and Niebelungenlied. Solving this quest is one of the most difficult ones, though.
[close]

Seems like i must have missed out on the quest with the flowers. I did complete the one with Helgi and I'm on day 4.

Thank you for your help!

Monsieur OUXX

It's truly a problem that you can lock yourself out of several quests, hence being in a deadlock (example: if you say to Liff/lithrasir that you won't help them AND you say to Regin that you won't kill his brother, then you can't complete the game).

Radiant

Yes; we became aware of that shortly after the game's release, and have fixed it in v1.1 (which is now available). The newest build has, to our knowledge, no deadlocks or walking dead situations.

(note that telling Regin you won't do his quest won't turn him off; he'll believe and outright say that you'll probably do it anyway, and indeed you can)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 11/02/2014 13:25:18
Yes; we became aware of that shortly after the game's release, and have fixed it in v1.1 (which is now available). The newest build has, to our knowledge, no deadlocks or walking dead situations.

(note that telling Regin you won't do his quest won't turn him off; he'll believe and outright say that you'll probably do it anyway, and indeed you can)

I think version 1.1 of your game has truly reached perfection. Now, the only real remaining question is : how many awards will you get? haha!

Corby

I'm pretty sure you've only missed 2 cutscenes and 1 bag of free food. (not to mention several points)

Mike the Wino

New here, and I've done what I believe is a fairly good search in this thread for the answer to my question, but before I post it, how do I hide text, more commonly known as "spoilers"? I'm not seeing that function here.

Thanks!
"Life is too short to drink bad wine!" -- Unknown

Tramponline

Hi and Welcome.
The code for spoilers is:     [hide] ... Your spoiler text here ...[/hide]

Mike the Wino

Thanks, Tramponline! So, here's my question.

I'm playing as a Warrior (in Chapter 3?) and I'm trying to make the cat's footfall
Spoiler
for trade bait.
[close]
I know I need
Spoiler
the ink well,
[close]
but I can't find it. According to a hint in another thread, it's supposed to be in
Spoiler
the thieves guild,
[close]
which I've been to several times. However, it's not there as far as I can tell. The only things on the table are
Spoiler
a wooden carving of a warthog, and a crumpled map.
[close]
Am I missing something?

Snarky

Spoiler
Wrong guild. :grin:
Spoiler
(It's in the adventurers' guild in Fornsigtuna.)
[close]
[close]

Mike the Wino

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 17/02/2014 16:55:06
Spoiler
Wrong guild. :grin:
Spoiler
(It's in the adventurers' guild in Fornsigtuna.)
[close]
[close]

DOH!!!

*slaps head*

Mike the Wino

I have everything I need, but now I can't find the darn cat! Where is it hiding???

Mike the Wino

Found the cat.

I'm playing as a warrior. My animal ken is 28.

Okay, I've read everything I could find in this forum regarding the cat's footfall.
Spoiler
I've found the cat near the gazebo but cant get near it. I have the deciphered note and the ink. I've tried to lure the cat out of the tree, but it ignores me. I tried feeding it; it doesn't like what I'm trying to give it. Does it want a particular type of food? What is the correct method for "collecting" the footfall?
[close]

Please spell it out for me...I've been banging my head for two solid days on this puzzle, and I'm afraid I'm gonna need a lobotomy. :confused:

Snarky

Quote from: Mike the Wino on Tue 18/02/2014 01:04:57

See, I don't really get that. I always take every opportunity to raise my character stats (never go to bed with spare stamina or mana!), so at this point in the game, my Animal Ken was in the nineties. (You can raise it simply by clicking on any on-screen animal: any time you come across an animal, you should just click on it like twenty times.)

Okay, I've read everything I could find in this forum regarding the cat's footfall.
Spoiler
I've found the cat
Spoiler
near the gazebo
[close]
but cant get near it. I have the deciphered note and the ink. I've tried to lure the cat out of the tree, but it ignores me. I tried feeding it; it doesn't like what I'm trying to give it. Does it want a particular type of food? What is the correct method for "collecting" the footfall?
[close]

Spoiler
You do need a particular type of food, yes. What do cats like?
Spoiler
Fish
[close]
And I'm not 100% sure, but as a warrior you might need your Animal Ken stat higher as well.
[close]

Mike the Wino

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 18/02/2014 12:48:00

See, I don't really get that. I always take every opportunity to raise my character stats (never go to bed with spare stamina or mana!), so at this point in the game, my Animal Ken was in the nineties. (You can raise it simply by clicking on any on-screen animal: any time you come across an animal, you should just click on it like twenty times.)

I totally agree about raising the Animal Ken, but for what ever reason, it seems to be stuck or just going up really slowly. I see a dog, moose, bird, Kraka (she counts as an animal, right? :grin:), I pet or talk to it, as much as possible, yet the Ken doesn't increase. It did go up by about six when I first tried interacting with the cat (once I found it), but that was it. Guess I'll try harder.

And thanks for the food idea.....sometimes the most obvious things are difficult to see....

Snarky

The stat curve for Animal Ken may have changed in v1.1, I remember some people were saying it was too easy to max out your stats in v1.0. Other than that, remember that the creatures in Svartalfheim count as animals. I believe you also increase Animal Ken by skinning wolves, oddly enough.

Mike the Wino

Quote from: Fizzii on Wed 08/01/2014 20:27:57

Spoiler
The horse is the reward for chest. Try using the horse.
[close]

I'm playing as a Warrior. I was
Spoiler
stuck in an ice corridor in Egther's Keep in chapter 4 (after getting out of the pit),
[close]
so I reloaded a save slot to just before I got the second eye and decided to do more questing. Now that I have done so, I now have the
Spoiler
horse figurine
[close]
that I didn't have before, among other things. I've still got other quests I can work on before obtaining the second eye (again), but I'm curious:
Spoiler
is the icy corridor a good place to use the horse figurine?
[close]
or do I need to "use it" somewhere else? And if that isn't the solution, how do I continue
Spoiler
through the icy corridor? I just keep getting the statement "a reflection shouldn't move like that" or some such rot.
[close]

Fizzii

You can't use the horse in Ch4.

Do you have something which can protect you?

Mike the Wino

Quote from: Fizzii on Wed 19/02/2014 20:39:43
You can't use the horse in Ch4.

Do you have something which can protect you?

I'm not sure what you mean....protect me. I've got lot's of stuff....gloves, chain mail, bracers, weapons, healing potions....

And another thing, I've tried everything I can think of to
Spoiler
try to get through the door to Egther's Throne Room
[close]
but nothing in my inventory seems to help. Maybe I haven't done something prior to Chapter 4 that will provide me with whatever it is I need to move forward?

EDIT: I figured out how to continue down the corridor
Spoiler
using my shield.
[close]
Off to bigger and better things! :wink:

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Mike the Wino on Wed 19/02/2014 19:09:07
Spoiler
is the icy corridor a good place to use the horse figurine?
[close]
or do I need to "use it" somewhere else? And if that isn't the solution, how do I continue
Spoiler
through the icy corridor? I just keep getting the statement "a reflection shouldn't move like that" or some such rot.
[close]

The h* f* is just for travelling faster and safer. In the corridor, there's a trick. I only know the trick for sorceress, unfortunately.

Mike the Wino

So I am now playing as a Sorceress after my first run-through as a Warrior. I have just
Spoiler
successfully retrieved my stolen stuff from the thieves lodge
[close]
and have told Sigurd that I know where it is. He wants proof, which I don't have. As a Warrior, I never did give him evidence, but as a Sorceress,
Spoiler
Kraka remains on my map in Munarvagir (which she didn't on the Warrior run-through) even tough I have my stuff back, leading me to believe I'm not done dealing with her in the thieves lodge yet.
[close]
I've tried everything I could think of there to get/provide proof to Sigurd, but it ain't happening. What am I missing here, if anything? Is there points given for providing the evidence Sigurd seems to need?

Kaelthos

I'm playing a sorceress but I can't figure out how to save Sigurd at the beginning...I mean besides going to the village of-course.

Chieri

I've been lurking for a day or two now, but I find I have a question of my own to ask.

Say my warrior ah.. theoretically might have tried to take the fox to Svartalfheim which had some rather unexpected consequences. I've been wandering around for a while now and he seems to have completely vanished. Should I just resign myself to never seeing my foxy friend ever again?

Fizzii

QuoteI'm playing a sorceress but I can't figure out how to save Sigurd at the beginning...I mean besides going to the village of-course.
Maybe you have some spell which can help cure him of his frostbite?

QuoteSay my warrior ah.. theoretically might have tried to take the fox to Svartalfheim which had some rather unexpected consequences. I've been wandering around for a while now and he seems to have completely vanished. Should I just resign myself to never seeing my foxy friend ever again?
Hmm, you have me stumped there! If he's not around in Jarnvidr anymore, then I guess not. He's optional to finish the game though.

Heksefatter

Question about thieves lodge - possible bug.

Hi all,

I am playing a sorceress, and am trying to find the thieves lodge. I have the following problem (colored white for spoiler):

I have had my character sleep in the inn and visited by the thief. Unfortunately, I have NOT seen the piece of cloth anywhere. I believe it should be in front of the inn.

I fear a bug, because my character also lost their scarf around the same time. I can't reload, because I've overwritten the old save files. :-(

Does anybody have an idea?

Snarky

Spoiler
IIRC, the piece of cloth is actually stuck in the window frame of your room in the inn.
[close]

Fizzii

The cloth only drops for warrior class.

Spoiler
You're not stuck - try and follow what your map says (it should show the librarian's head). Your scarf got stolen with your other stuff.
[close]

viktor

I know this is an old thread but I'm slowly rediscovering AGS games and this is one of the best I've ever played. I'm stuck in chapter 3.

Spoiler
I need to get the two eyes. Getting the first wasn't a problem. The second one is a bit iffy. I've got the trust from the librarian, the other world guy that's not human (I forget his name :D) and Kraka. I can't get the lovers approval because I messed up early on and said to her to stop writing letters. My only hope now is Sigurd. But I have no clue how to gain his trust. I saved him, he gives me free meals but he doesn't trust me.
[close]
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

sthomannch

I think you have to reunite him with the valkyrie. Alternatively, you can fight him and try to win (as a rogue).

I also thought that there was a walkthrough on the authors web page but better try yourself. A long game, but I found no blockers :-)

viktor

Yeah it looks like I needed a breather. I set the game asside for a day and then realised I haven't explored all of Svartalfheim yet. From then on the game just flowed :P.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

mkennedy

Spoiler
In the beginning of the game is it possible to kill the boar as a non fighter?
As a rogue when you find Sigurd freezing in the snow after he was knocked out by the troll can you get him back to Munarvagir just by conversation? (yes/no answer only please)
[close]

Wiggy

No, because you cannot get the spear, and no.

mkennedy

Quote from: Wiggy on Sat 30/11/2019 04:04:56
No, because you cannot get the spear, and no.

Thanks for the answer, think I tried throwing daggers at it, but it wouldn't let me. Casting spells was something I didn't try though, but my aim is rather off anyway.

Some more questions. What is the minimum stats and skill required for climbing up cliffs?
Spoiler
Also what are the skill requirements for the rogue to swipe her stuff back from the sleeping troll?
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk