Started by noviigrac, Thu 26/12/2013 17:29:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

About the librarian's hidden book :
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
- I have decrypted the poem
- I have translated the poem
- I don't understand who is this "unarmed opponent" I'm supposed to run from.
I've considered it might be a pun (an armchair is "armed"), or maybe it just tells you to run in the opposite direction from something/someone harmless (the ghost?). But I can't figure it out.

Knowing if that must be done inside or outside the library would narrow my quest.

[close]

About the thief:
Spoiler

(as a sorceress)
I probably didn't pick the right dialog choice when waking up (I chose: "stop, thief!") and the heroin didn't get fight and didn't get the piece of cloth. OK.

Since then I'm hoping the thief will come back but he/she never does. I leave the window open and I'm loaded with money, to no avail.
[close]

Snarky

The book:
Spoiler
The whole "quest" is about finding a book in the library, and the whole thing takes place within the library.

Spoiler
If you don't understand the poem, maybe you can find some help interpreting it?
Spoiler
Check out the different library sections. (There's even an index with a map.)
[close]
[close]
[close]

The thief:
Spoiler
As a sorceress, there's a certain prerequisite you need to respond effectively to the burglar. If you don't have it in time for the break-in, you might want to reload an earlier save-game, because getting the burglar to return can apparently be a bit tricky, if it's possible at all.

Spoiler
You need to think like a sorceress.
Spoiler
You need to have a certain spell.
Spoiler
You should solve the library puzzle first.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

About the hidden book - The weirdest thing just happened : i solved the puzzle without even knowing how.
Spoiler

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 17/01/2014 19:27:35
Spoiler
If you don't understand the poem, maybe you can find some help interpreting it?
[close]
I had guessed (even before reading your clue) that maybe some other book in the library could help me interpretate the poem better. So, I had been clicking on (I believe) all sections of the library, with the poem. None of them responded, except one, that said something apparently irrelevent (I can't remember what, though, I must confess). I remained stuck.

After reading your clue I thought "Oh, I should ask someone if they understand the poem" so I went to show the poem to every single character in the game (except the orphan girl, I couldn't find her), including the capital. Nobody seemed to be interested.
So I went back to the library and thought "maybe I forgot to click on one of the bookshelves", so I took the note in the inventory, clicked randomly on the first bookshelf under my cursor, and BOOM "this is the book you're looking for!"
Duh?

I don't know if that's supposed to happen when you click on the entire bookshelf after you got the relevant clue (and that would mean I got the clue without knowing it), or if I got incredibly lucky and randomly clicked on the one pixel where the book was.

[close]

About the thief:
Spoiler

I got to enter regin's house after using Sixth Sense.
Was it possible to enter his house before? Because the scenery depicted in the house looks so "normal" that it makes me suspect I could enter that house any time (provided Regin was in), but I just got incredibly unlucky and always tried when he was out. And you have no idea how hard I tried (I stayed awake 24 hours, taking one-hour rests, to try at every hour of the day!)

[close]

Snarky

Book:
Spoiler
Clicking the poem on the poetry section of the library identifies is as being from a book by some Sun Tzu-expy, a famous general. Then when you click in the military strategy section, you can locate the book. Tada! (So yes, it does all make sense if you pay attention to the narration.)
[close]

Thief:
Spoiler
No, I don't think you can enter Regin's house before the Sixth Sense spell leads you there. In any case, you need to get in there while he's out. Afterwards you can sometimes find his house open with him gone gods know where.
[close]

Dirt McStain

Thief:
Spoiler
The thief will not rob you twice. You need to get your stuff back, preferably before going to Svartalfheim. You wont be able to enter Regin's house until you have a good reason to. You'll need the library book puzzle spell to give you that reason. I don't remember if you have to level up your spell's skill level first.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Is there any place at all where you can sleep in Svartalfheim ?

Dirt McStain

You can sleep at Eitri's house and at the mushroom cave, I think.

FamousAdventurer77

Last chapter, final showdown...and Fenrir keeps mauling me. I have a Warrior totally leveled up and with Balmung no less! How is this thing slicing me open without fail like a baked potato no matter what?! It's just impossible to defeat and worse yet I can't use any potions.
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Fizzii

Is your difficulty on normal?

You need to watch his cues and dodge them. Once he isn't making a cue, you have time to attack.

FamousAdventurer77

Yep, on normal difficulty. Heh, debating sliding it to Easy!
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Fizzii

I just had a look, and Fenrir is challenging, but he is definitely killable :) My character didn't have max stats or Balmung either.

Spoiler
You need to be patient and make sure you're dodging/blocking, and only when he's obviously not attacking do you attack. When he is on low hp, he'll go into a frenzy, so you need to be extra careful there. If you have your game speed on max, I suggest putting it back to the default middle setting as it might be too hard to respond to on the fastest speed setting.
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

A little tip for the sorcerers (and warriors?) who get accused of being thieves at night in the castle, when they were actually there "by mistake":

Spoiler

Here is how to reproduce this semi-bug:
- be in the magician's lab during the day
- wait for him to tell you to get out of his lab (because he needs to go into town)
- a script automatically makes you walk back to the castle's hall
- immediately go back to the magician's lab. you can't get in because there is the magic barrier
- wait in this spot until the magician comes back
[if you're unlucky , at this stage the night has fallen]
- wait a little longer. The magician might want to leave again (in the middle of the night) and expells you from his lab.
- the script automatically makes you walk to the hall
- you're screwed: a guard immediately calls you thief. you get arrested and lose the game.

The way to work around that semi-bug:
- try to use the telescope. If you're lucky enough (I'm not sure if it depends on you trying several times, or on your speech skills), the magician will let you do it.
- while you're looking through the telescope and click on "WAIT", the magician cannot ask you to leave his lab (or if he does, it has no effect)
- therefore you're safe from being expelled to the castle's hall, and arrested.

[close]

slydog

So, if I said the wrong thing when I saw the thief in the night, and now I cannot open the door to the guild, is my game "broken," requiring a reload?
(I figured out to use 6th sense too late, and the password had been changed.)  - I guess I need a mirror to move the troll and wake up the jarl?

How do I get some fish to lure the cat?
thanks.

Dirt McStain

What you say to the thief doesn't really matter. The fact that you can't enter the guild now is a bug and will be fixed in v1.1. This is caused due to advancing the game too far without entering the guild first. You won't get the mirror back but it doesn't prevent you from finishing the game. If it bothers you too much, reload a saved game from before you entered Svartalfheim.

The fish
Spoiler
can be caught at the lake with a net.
Spoiler
Use blessing to guarantee that you will catch one.
[close]
[close]

slydog

thanks!

I've walked the jarl into the city by force bolting him, but I can take him no farther, as he summons guards if I strike him inside the city.  Am I doing this wrong?

Dirt McStain

That's another known bug. The correct solution involves the mirror.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dirt McStain on Sun 19/01/2014 04:21:25
The fact that you can't enter the guild now is a bug and will be fixed in v1.1. This is caused due to advancing the game too far without entering the guild first. Reload a saved game before Svartalheim.
Ouch :'( Svartalheim is way too far back. I guess I'll give up on the game. Unless, as you say, it's not required to wake up the Jarl to finish the game.

To get the fish:
Spoiler

Quote from: Dirt McStain on Sun 19/01/2014 04:21:25
The fish can be caught at the lake with a net.
Not only. If the thief got your net and you're stuck by the guild-bug, you can get a fish from the barrel in the watchtower. If you're a sorceress you'll need the teleportation spell to access it (I can't remember how I got it but I think it was in Svartalfheim).
[close]

non-blocking glitch report
If you use the shadow spell in the magician's lab, the shadow exits the lab through the door...And walks way beyond the expected AGS walkbehind: you can see it walk on top of the room after it goes past the door.

Dirt McStain

Yeah, saving the Jarl is not required to complete the game.

Monsieur OUXX

I've reached a stage where I've completed a lot of quests and don't have much clues left to solve the remaining ones.
So please do forgive me for asking plenty of questions together. (also, please forgive me for never using the actual names of the characters. I can never ever remember them!)
Spoiler

Note: I'm playing sorceress, and I have access to neither the fishnet, the red gem nor the mirror, as they got stolen by the thief and I have the bug preventing from opening the thieves' guild despite using Sixth Sense.

- I have 3 riddles so far, but no answer yet to any of them. Since all the people seem to want to ask new riddles before giving answers to the ones I know, it could continue forever that way ;)
- I'm not sure if I'm supposed to find out by myself where the village hides the Eye of Thiassi. Is that so?
- I have the wings. I think I read somewhere it's how you're supposed to dispell the flames around the walkyrie, but to be honest I can't remember. I've tried anyway and it doesn't work. I don't know how to free the walkyrie.
- what am I supposed to do in the swamp? There could be the good ol' trck of force-feeding the plant, but I can't imagine anything that it would like.
- I challenged Skyrmir and lost (the bastard took my amulet). I don't know with what object I could challenge him again in the future -- or even how to win any of the challenges. Maybe the wings could help me win the speed challenge, no idea. And maybe making sure I'm very hungry could help me win the eating contest.
- I "cleaned" the workshop with the wind spell, but the craftsman got angry, turned into a fish, and disappeared forever. Was it because my wind spell's level was too low?
- I still have no idea how to unfreeze the frost flowers.
- I haven't found out how to sail the Jarl's drakkar. I would think mastering the wind spell was enough, but apparently not.
- does the sliding puzzle only allow to access Loki, or is there something else? (by the way: the Geneva convention should forbid slide-puzzles in point-n-clicks :D)
- what am I supposed to do with Loki?
- I'm not sure if at this stage there is a way for me to enter the Aegir's fortress, or if I'll have to wait later.
- I haven't found what human trinket I should trade with the collectioner in Svartalheim.
- I suspected I should give the crystal from the crystal cave to the glitter-lover elf, but it got "burnt" by mistake when I went walking in Midgard's daylight. Is it definitely too late?
[close]

Fizzii

Eitri:

Spoiler
Asks for human trinkets/paraphernalia, etc. Do you have any human tools which you may have bought or picked up which he might like? Try showing him various inventory items to see what he's after.
[close]

I don't understand why you thought...
Spoiler
that the wings dispell fire. That doesn't make much sense to me.
[close]

Crystal - nope, it's entirely optional, but you can't do anything about it once it's ash.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk