Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

Started by noviigrac, Thu 26/12/2013 17:29:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Eitri:

Spoiler

> Do you have any human tools which you may have bought or picked up which he might like?
I tried giving him the flintbox, the pick, the scarf, the vials... He doesn't like them. :(

> I don't understand why you thought that the wings dispell fire.
I think I mixed up several legends. After reading too much mythology, it appears I invented a legend of my own! Haha. I thought I read somewhere that these were like Odin's wings, that would flap so hard that they would create a magical wind that would extinguish the fire. If it all comes from my head, that's pretty funny ;-D
Maybe I'll meet the swan lady later on. That would make more sense. The blacksmith's wife said she doesn't want to say where she comes from, and "cannot go back". And she has feathers in her hair. Yet, she doesn't want the wings. So, I'm confused. I have no idea how I missed that before. I was convinced I had tried.

> Try and find somewhere where a fish would go.
I saw a fish jump out of the water, in the room with the squishy corals. But it happened so fast and never happened again, so I thought it was just an element of decoration for the room.

> Find Loki and then you will see what you can do with him.
I have already. He gets pretty mad at the loser Aegir who wants to bring Ragnarok himself. So I'm hesitating to set him free, and I wouldn't know how to do anyway (I tried disspell, fire, wind and other spells on him, the servant and the snake, to no avail).

> There is something else in the slider area to do,
I'm surprised by this. I used the sliding puzzle to make sure that all weird connections around the puzzle (outside of it) would be interconnected, and imagined it would be enough.
My understanding of what you said is that the real important things to connect are the funny pieces inside the puzzle, not the cnnections around. I'll have a closer look at them and try to guess what rooms they represent.

> sliding puzzles in themselves are boring, but the fun bit about this was figuring out what the sliding board does :P
I love the idea that the puzzle controls something in the real world. But sliding puzzles are not boring. They're just incredibly hard for people who don't have the skills! :( It's like Rubik's cube: some people find it easy, some people just can't do it. I'm pne of those.

> you can't do anything about it once it's ash.
So sad :( It would be cool if it grew back. It's silly (ok, not that silly) that there is an entire room full of crystals, and you can take only one of them, only once.
[close]

Fizzii

Ah, it sounds like you've already traded with Eitri once. He doesn't want more than one human object (so he will keep swapping back the other item you gave him in exchange for the new one you give him).

If you want to trade with Eitri some more, talk to him again, and see what other things he wants. These are harder to get.

Monsieur OUXX

Thanks a lot Fizzii, you're being of great help to enjoy the game to the fullest.

EDIT: bug reports
Spoiler

- when fish Andvari briefly jumps out of the water in the corals room, if yu're quick enough you can look at him, and you get the description of a person, not a fish. A person carrying stuff in their pockets.
- in that same situation you can also talk to him, and it crashes the game.
- maybe the two bugs above also exist when he's in the waterfall, I didn't try.

- when fish Andvari is swimming in the waterfall, you can attack him with the magical dart spell, and he calls for help (as expected), and people come to arrest you. But then instead of the "death screen", the game freezes (infinite loop I suppose).

I still haven't figured out how to capture him, I hope I don't need the net, since the thief has it :(
[close]

Fizzii

Yes, you do need the net. In V1.1, there will be some conditions to make sure you retrieve your stuff before the story gets too far in.

Spoiler
Fortunately, completing Andvari's quest is also entirely optional (you just don't get cool armor).
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

About the adventurers' guild secret stach
Spoiler

how do you access the button in the fireplace as a sorceress? I don't know what tool could work. The pick is "too short" but she won't pick up any sword or spear, and she won't use the shovel, so I don't know. I don't think this should be solved with magic, should it?
[close]

About the riddles
Spoiler

which character gives the answer to the "wet coat" riddle?
[close]

Archery
Spoiler

I read in a previous tip that winning the archery contest was a very subtle and clever puzzle. Well, I'm probably not subtle enough ;-D I Svartalfheim there is a big magnet on display. In any classic point-n-click, I would do it in the good ol' way:  I'd put the giant magnet behing the practice target, but I doubt it's the solution here ;)
[close]

Fizzii

Riddles - I can't tell you as these are randomly assigned.

slydog

Obviously, I'm doing something completely wrong: when I ask for riddles, the people tell me a riddle, and I always respond that I don't know.

Wings?  Where are they?

Can you even win the archery contest as a sorceress?
I helped myself with a spell, as indicated, but that wasn't enough.

thanks again.  I love this game, but am very fearful that I will eventually be forced to restart as I've messed up too much with the not finding the thieves' guild before locking myself out of it.

Dirt McStain

Quote from: slydog on Tue 21/01/2014 05:02:45Wings?  Where are they?
Spoiler
Spend some time exploring Fornsigtuna at night to find out.
[close]

QuoteCan you even win the archery contest as a sorceress?
I helped myself with a spell, as indicated, but that wasn't enough.
Spoiler
Dont forget that wind is a factor.
[close]

Fizzii

Riddles - you probably need to find a couple of people who aren't easy to find.

You should be able to finish the game, but given you don't have your stuff back from the thieves' guild, it might have been possible to lock yourself out by telling Liff/Lithrasir that they aren't interested in the other. Though, there is technically another glitch in the game which would still allow you to progress anyway (you will skip a little content doing this though). Of course, we intend to have this all fixed in v1.1. Hopefully, in the meantime, you have been careful with your dialog so you don't miss out on any story bits :)

Regnum Eternum

Spoiler
I have the bug where the cat runs from me at the gates to the town and doesn't reappear at the frozen garden for me to get it again. Since this keeps me from getting the librarian to approve of me and also keeps me from getting the shopkeeper's approval (no cat paw print, thus no rune stick), does this mean I have to start the game over from basically the beginning? I am a sorceress so I can't fight Sigurd.
[close]

I went very far in the game since then before I found out that I needed to get the cat to progress.

Edit: Okay, I managed to get everyone else but those two, so I can get the Eye. :)

Monsieur OUXX

Archery
Spoiler
> Dont forget that wind is a factor.
From the beginning I'm trying to cast the wind spell, but instead of making the heroine better, it's like she's only trying to disturb the archer. He says "oh, you want to challenge me? I'm too good for that". And then when I give a try at archery, the wind spell has no effect (it's already disspelled).
It's the other factor that I must be missing.

I've read that the spell needed is Blessing. But how do you get that spell? I hope it's not with the riddles game (see below).
[close]

Riddles
Spoiler

Is it normal that two characters ask the same riddle? That might explain why I'm stuck. Odinn I mean, Loki (sorry, I'm tired) asked the same "new" riddle as the wizard did.
[close]

Frost flowers and Swan wings
Spoiler

Nobody asked about the frost flowers here, so I must be the only one who got unlucky until very late in the game. I wish to help others: As a sorceress, you get them by being in the flowers' screen at the right time of the day/night. Or you can just look through the wizard's telescope and spy on that location all day.
Same goes for the swan wings: if I haden't been walking around restlessly day and night in Fornsigtuna , I would have never found them.
[close]

Snarky

Blessing:
Spoiler
You just buy it from Liff!
[close]

How to get each spell:
Spoiler
Magic dart: Bought from Aurvandel, maybe? Don't recall... You get it pretty early in the game, anyway
Flame aura: Given by Aurvandel
Sixth Sense: Solve library-book quest
Shadow (doppleganger): don't remember (maybe win one of the early rounds of Aurvandel's magic maze game?)
Channel (cast magic from HP if your mana is empty): don't remember
Blessing: Buy from Liff
Arctic Wind: From viking ship (cast Magic Dart on dragon's head)
Blink (teleport): From winning random encounter with a svartalf
Dispell: From Eitri (by trading, I think)
Ice Bolt: From Aesir stone outside Egther's keep (cast Blessing)
Shield: From adventurers' guild hidden compartment
Lightning Bolt: Solve Aurvandel's riddle quest
[close]

Riddles:
Spoiler
You don't meet Odinn in the game (spoiler, I guess), so I doubt that. :P You mean Loki? Let's see... I think the riddle-trading participants are: Aurvandel, Hervor, Liff, Alviss, Loki and Arngrim. You can lock yourself out of this quest by either giving Hervor her wings too soon, or screwing up with Alviss. The dialog feedback on repeated conversations isn't great, so maybe your impression that multiple characters are asking the same riddle is a misunderstanding? Or if you're switching between different savegames, maybe it has to do with the random assignment?
[close]

Frost flower:
Spoiler
You can grab a frost flower at any point using a combination of Blink, Arctic Wind and Flame Aura. Note that carrying around a frost flower makes you more vulnerable to the cold.
[close]

Thaumaturge

Archery:
Spoiler
If the wind is already blowing in the area, that might deflect your arrow.
[close]
Spoiler
Look around for some indication as to how the wind is blowing.
[close]
Spoiler
Look at the grass near the bottom-left of the screen.
[close]
(Note too that weapons skill might -- I think -- be a factor.)

Monsieur OUXX, if I may ask:

Regarding the frost flowers --
Spoiler
What effect did the time of day have? I got them -- playing as the sorceress -- simply by casting Arctic Wind, if I recall correctly.
[close]

Regarding the riddles --
Spoiler
Where did you encounter Odinn? I don't think that I met him at all. (Although I did encounter -- and riddle with -- Loki, as I recall.)
[close]

[edit] I see that Snarky has answered at least some of my questions as I was writing; thank you, Snarky. ^_^

Radiant

Quote from: Regnum Eternum on Tue 21/01/2014 07:58:56Edit: Okay, I managed to get everyone else but those two, so I can get the Eye. :)
Well done!

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 21/01/2014 11:53:25Is it normal that two characters ask the same riddle?
Yes, it is.

Monsieur OUXX

I see that me claiming to play riddles with Odinn has cast confusion :D I meant Loki, of course. My days are so full that I play that game between 1am and 3am... hence the braindead questions ... and the mistakes in their phrasing :)

@thaumaturge: about the frost flowers
Spoiler

Can you really get them with the wind spell? that would make my brain explode, considering how frustrated I was that all you have to do is ask Heime to cut them with his wooden sword when he happens to be around... but the sorceress cannot perform the exact same action with any of the cutting objects she owns!!!
[close]

Regnum Eternum

Wings:

Spoiler
I read about the wings being in Forsigtuna at night, but I walked around town at different hours of night and never saw them. I saw an owl flying around and guards. I couldn't sneak into the wizard's tower with magic, so I assume they aren't in there. I even melted the snowman to look inside it but there's nothing. Do I have to talk to someone before they appear? I can ask the guild lady about where she's from and she says she misses it but I can't ask specifics.
[close]

slydog

Ice wall spoiler:
Spoiler
where is Loki?  Is he behind the ice wall that I haven`t found a way to do anything with?
[close]

Tramponline

Wings:
Spoiler
Stick around the south-eastern most screen inside the city walls of Fornsigtuna, around the time the bar closes.
[close]

@slydog
Spoiler
Yes! - In order not to spoil it for other players: It'd be great if you could re-edit your post and put your question inside spoiler brackets, like so:

[hide]where is LokiÉ  Is he behind the ice wall that I haven`t found a way to do anything withÉ[/hide]

Remember, quite a lot of players reading this thread might not be as far as you are.
[close]

Thaumaturge

@Monsieur OUXX, regarding the frost flowers:
Spoiler
I've just gone back to check, and yes, I do believe that you can break off a flower with nothing but Arctic Wind.
[close]
Spoiler
Although you may have to work on your character's expertise in that spell, and you'll likely still want a way to handle the flower safely...
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

Riddles
Spoiler

I really need a straightforward answer, because I'm possibly in a deadlock because of the "thieves guild" bug.
- I need to win the riddles challenge to have enough support for the eye of Thiassi
- I believe the riddle/answer I'm missing is the one of the elf turned to stone (Alviss, is it)
- I have turned him back to normal earlier in the game using the eitur. Then he turned back to stone. I have no more eitur.
Am I definitely stuck?
[close]

Adventurers' guild secret stach
Spoiler

- What tool do you use to trigger the switch in the fire?
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk