Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

Started by noviigrac, Thu 26/12/2013 17:29:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogliostro

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Mon 30/12/2013 23:54:22
Quote from: Khris on Mon 30/12/2013 23:35:42
LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
One of them should turn on (it was the 3rd from the left I believe). I don't know if the game lets you do this before you're supposed to though. Did you get the Find Heime quest? Did you learn about the stone circle in the game?
Maybe it is different for the magic user, I haven't played as one yet.
[close]

Yea the 3rd one says it's warm to the touch. But then what?

Spoiler
You have to touch them in the correct order, always walking clockwise.  3 6 1 4 5 2  But don't bother until AFTER you've talked to the captain in Fortigtuna and bought mead.
[close]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Cogliostro on Tue 31/12/2013 01:38:16
LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
One of them should turn on (it was the 3rd from the left I believe). I don't know if the game lets you do this before you're supposed to though. Did you get the Find Heime quest? Did you learn about the stone circle in the game?
[close]

Spoiler
You have to touch them in the correct order, always walking clockwise.  3 6 1 4 5 2  But don't bother until AFTER you've talked to the captain in Fortigtuna and bought mead.
[close]

- Cogliostro

Thank you very much for dumbing it down for me...I usually don't have so much trouble...I'll let you know if I'm still too dumb to figure it out! LOL

Crazy1k

LTGiants2000:
Spoiler
[close]

To understand how the stones work its best to talk to the people about Svartalfheim.
Spoiler
info from Regin - he actually says the correct order of the touching of the stones
[close]
Spoiler
and Snorri - tells you of what to do after you get the correct sequence
[close]
Spoiler
The librarian tells you how to go about touching the stones (beside the correct sequence) - you always have to go clockwise  - so if you need to touch a stone to the left you need to make a circle around (going directly left resets the sequence)
[close]

Khris

Is there a way to
Spoiler
successfully break into the Arvandel's study? I can enter via the window, but even when he's gone, it's still game over immediately.
[close]

Snarky

Oh FFS! Early in the game I clicked through all the dialog options with all the characters like a good adventure gamer, and now it turns out that I can't finish several of the quests just because I told people I wouldn't do them. Can't a gal change her mind?!

Specifically:
Spoiler
I can't give the flowers I finally managed to get from Eitri to Lithrasir because I told Liff she didn't want them. That apparently also closes off a couple of other quests. and I guess I can't deal with the whole Regin/Fafnir situation because I told both of them I'm staying out of it. Which I think means I can't get Andvari's armor because I can't get a dragon scale.
[close]

I guess the game is still completable, barely, but so much of it seems off-limits now that I'll probably have to start over from scratch. So that's what, 20 hours down the toilet?

Maybe it's just a matter of gaming philosophy, but I think it's so easy to click on dialog options even accidentally that stuff like this, that have irrevocable consequences far down the line (that aren't immediately obvious) should offer a confirmation dialog.

Fizzii

Oops. Dialog is meant to be read :P. We actually did have a bit of a debate about this but it was left as is in the end.

It is very possible to complete the game even while this one is failed; I wouldn't call it barely completable (unless you are a completionist).

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 03/01/2014 10:28:29
Spoiler
I can't give the flowers I finally managed to get from Eitri to Lithrasir because I told Liff she didn't want them. That apparently also closes off a couple of other quests. and I guess I can't deal with the whole Regin/Fafnir situation because I told both of them I'm staying out of it. Which I think means I can't get Andvari's armor because I can't get a dragon scale.
[close]
Spoiler
While it is a bit annoying, I don't really mind those Regin/Fafnir dialog options as they have at least some logical basis. Regin and Fafnir have a conflict and the heroine can choose to stay out of it. That makes sense. Plus, I'm pretty sure this is unrelated to getting Andvari's armor (lindworms are randomly-encountered enemies, at least for the warrior).

But the dialog options with Liff and Lithrasir on the other hand definitely makes no sense at all. Why would the heroine lie and randomly sabotage their relationship? It really comes out of nowhere.
[close]
We all have our time machines, don't we?

Fizzii

I wouldn't quite say that the heroine is 'randomly lying'. The option is there if you choose to use it, but for most players who are careful enough to read the dialog, they would generally not choose that option and therefore the heroine would never say it. Similar can be seen with Alviss. Might be useful for players who try to aim for less honour, but I agree that the jerk option is indeed counterproductive to completing quests.

Let's see...

Spoiler
If you can't help Liff, you can still help Kraka, Sigurd, Librarian and Sigrun.
[close]
Spoiler
If you can't help Lith, you can still help Jarl Ylfing, Aurvandel, and get Snorri to vouch for you. Volund is an automatic vote.
[close]

Daniel Eakins

Yeah personally I didn't click this option, because it was not what Lithrasir had said or suggested. It struck me as odd because this was maybe the only instance of a jerk option so early in the game. In any case, this by no mean diminished my enjoyment of the game :-D

Snarky

Quote from: Fizzii on Fri 03/01/2014 12:14:43
I wouldn't quite say that the heroine is 'randomly lying'. The option is there if you choose to use it, but for most players who are careful enough to read the dialog, they would generally not choose that option and therefore the heroine would never say it.

... Except this is an adventure game and it's routine to exhaust all dialog options (particularly when you're stuck). It'd be one thing if the game gave clear feedback that by saying this you had aborted the quest, but it doesn't; Liff just says he's disappointed. It's not unreasonable to assume you can still deliver the flowers and no real harm done.

Plus, at least on Liff's dialog menu is in the same position as the "let's talk about something else" option to leave various submenus, so if you're just clicking through that it's easy to click the "random lie" by mistake. And it's right above the "end conversation" option, so if you're not careful in aiming your cursor, it's easy to hit it by mistake. In replaying, I've had to reload twice because I accidentally clicked the wrong option. (It's actually a UI design principle that clicking on the wrong target in a menu is common enough that it shouldn't have irreversible consequences, e.g. if you hit quit instead of save, without at least a confirmation step.)

I don't want to complain too much, because the game is great, but this bit struck me as a wee bit unfair, and the "walking dead" aspect of it (where you don't discover that you did the wrong thing until many hours later) is very frustrating.

Fizzii

I know what you mean, though I am a little surprised you didn't notice his disappointment much earlier and the fact he didn't want to talk to you again. Anyway, we actually discussed having it as a sub option to prevent accidental clicks, but I guess it didn't happen due to the mound of bugfixing going on. We also discussed allowing the player to pick up the quest again, but the heroine having to explain her lie away just wouldn't have worked. Removing it is one option but I think Radiant liked to have some jerk options in there (similar to QFG I believe).

We're making notes, Radiant will work out what he wants to do with it :)

Snarky

Quote from: Fizzii on Fri 03/01/2014 20:56:07
I know what you mean, though I am a little surprised you didn't notice his disappointment much earlier and the fact he didn't want to talk to you again.

Eh? He didn't stop talking to me, I would have noticed that!
Yeah, the feedback is up to the designer(s) to decide what to do with, obviously. I was actually thinking I'd wait for v1.1 to have bugs and gameplay tweaks ironed out, but I just wanted to take a peek and then I was hooked. :P Almost done with the Sorceress playthrough now, with all the little sub- and sidequests solved.

Fizzii

He should've said something like 'That is really disappointing. Please leave me be.' and then subsequently 'Please leave me alone.' I'll get Radiant to check this works properly at any point during the quest when the player clicks this dialog.

FamousAdventurer77

Stuck on some sidequests playing as Warrior and discovered a funny bug...

The Haugbui
Spoiler
How do I get the vase for the haugbui's ashes? Because when I tried to use a flask on the ashes, it said it wasn't big enough. What do I need to give Eitri? I gave him "cat's footfall" earlier but have no idea how to find any of the other mystical items...I thought "sinew of a bear" meant something from the Gulon which led me to discover a funny glitch: I went back to its (still-headless) corpse, used my sword on it, and ended up with ANOTHER Gulon head haha.
[close]

Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
If I go to Thrivaldi's cave at midday and use the mirror, he moves over but nothing can get me to the sack-- she's got no stealth/lurking whatsoever so that's not possible, tried climbing, no dice, can't throw daggers at him...gah!
[close]

And what can you do with the strand of your own hair? I saw something in the dialog about Loki's tricks, but did not come across anything yet calling for it. Is it just a red herring?
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Dirt McStain

Sounds like you're playing as the warrior, in which case you have other options available to you.

Daniel Eakins

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40The Haugbui
Spoiler
The vase is a normal item (not Eitri's) that you can buy at one of the shops :)
Spoiler
in Munarvagir.
[close]
[close]

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
Getting past Thrivaldi depends on which class you're playing. As a Warrior, you must use one of the skills which is characteristic of a Warrior.
Spoiler
Something involving Animal Ken.
Spoiler
Get a Fox and use it to fetch your items.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40And what can you do with the strand of your own hair? I saw something in the dialog about Loki's tricks, but did not come across anything yet calling for it. Is it just a red herring?
Spoiler
You could use it on the Lodestone to make a compass during the snowstorm sequence. I don't know if it has another use.
[close]

FamousAdventurer77

Thanks!! How did I miss that item in the shop? :confused:

I never would've thought of the fox solution! Heh.
If you want to know the Bible's contents, just watch Lord of the Rings or listen to the last 8 Blind Guardian albums. It's pretty much the same thing.

Cogliostro

Quote from: Daniel Eakins on Sun 05/01/2014 10:30:44

Quote from: FamousAdventurer77 on Sun 05/01/2014 04:00:40Getting Your Stuff Back from Thrivaldi
Spoiler
Getting past Thrivaldi depends on which class you're playing. As a Warrior, you must use one of the skills which is characteristic of a Warrior.
Spoiler
Something involving Animal Ken.
Spoiler
Get a Fox and use it to fetch your items.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Okay, I'm playing the sorceress.  How am I supposed to get my stuff back?

One other question, after the rescue in svartalfheim, giants roam the Jarnvidr.  I get *stomped* in every battle against giants.  Did I rush to the rescue?  Was I supposed to "level up" more beforehand?  Will something tip the balance in my favor?  Or, should I stick to my strategy of running for my life?

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk