Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok

Started by noviigrac, Thu 26/12/2013 17:29:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

I think in this section of the game you're meant to be outmatched, and running from battle is often a good idea. They don't tend to give you any loot, either. That being said...

Bergrisir are slow and predictable; if you learn their "tells" you should be able to sidestep all their attacks without too much trouble. I just keep whacking them with my staff until they fall down. They're basically like trolls, only a bit bigger. You can probably tackle these.

Muspells (fire giants) are tougher, because they have more different attacks and you can't just rely on sidestepping left/right to dodge them. I assume frost bolt is the way to go when it comes to attacking them, but I'm not sure. (It's better to get the frost bolt as early in the game as possible, ideally before you go to Svartalfheim.) I tend to run away from them, but they are tenacious: sometimes they've chased me around half the map. (For some reason I never think to use Shadow to throw them off track; too caught up in the chase, I think.)

Jotunns are tough sons of bitches, and have a nasty tendency to lop your head off. For my money, the toughest enemy in the game, except only for that goddamn moose-rat-bear. Definitely avoid until you've leveled up considerably. (They catch you in ice when you run, so you might have to flee repeatedly until you finally get away. Or just use Shadow, I guess.) Fortunately they are rather rare (although there are one or two forced fights against them). The most powerful spells seem to be most effective against them, if you can manage to keep dodging at the same time, and duck whenever they swing that axe.

Cogliostro

Snarky,

Where did you pickup/buy Frost Bolt?

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Snarky

If you play Sorceress, at least:

Spoiler
You get it from the Aesir stone outside Egther's keep.
[close]

Charity

Last Chapter:
Spoiler
Tied to a rock, troll and varg are dealt with but don't seem to be able to do anything.
[close]

LTGiants2000

Lyaer:
Spoiler
You have to use the Honey in order to get the Varg to leave
[close]

Now I am stuck at the same part but JUST after that if anyone knows what I should do....

Spoiler
Still tied to the rock with Thrivaldi standing right there. I am a mage but can't cast any spell and don't know how to get untied.
[close]

Snarky

Lyaer, what class are you playing?

LTGiants:
Spoiler
Is there anything special about the rock you're tied to?
[close]
Spoiler
Didn't you do something to that rock once before?
[close]
Spoiler
Cast Blessing on rock.
[close]

Cogliostro

Playing as sorceress, killed the Haugbui, spoke to Aurvendal, and nothing...  what am I supposed to do to get the reward?

- Cogliostro

Snarky

Spoiler
Go back to the city gates at nightfall, and you'll see that the haugbui has returned. (That's the problem with undead monsters, they don't stay dead.)

To learn more about putting it to rest for good, talk to Aurvandel about it, and read up on the haugbui in the Adventurer's Handbook, found in the Guild, Library or (another location you may not have visited yet).
[close]

Tramponline

Got a little issue with the Regin/Fafnir-questline:
Spoiler
I'm playing a thief and I've retrieved the chest and killed Fafnir (realized too late that Regin might've bent the thruth about the origin of that chest). Now, when I try to give it to Regin, he
says something along the lines of: "Very clever, but you already sold that (chest) to me". ...and I swear, I haven't.

Is this somehow connected to the fact that I've pick-pocketed that horse figurine off him somewhat earlier in the game? (...and what does the horsy toy do, by the way? Found no use for it yet.):cheesy:
[close]

Exploitation glitch(...or intentional?):
Spoiler
(Playing the thief) At Odin's Shrine in Svartalfheim one can get unlimited potions by throwing daggers at the open chest, again and again. With every consecutive hit another flask pops up.
[close]

Fizzii

Trampoline, those are bugs.

Spoiler
The horse is the reward for chest. Try using the horse.
[close]

Cogliostro

Playing sorceress, in Svartalfheim, trying to complete the sliding puzzle in Andvari's house:  The block that looks like an electrical ground *might* indirectly connect to the leads on the right, and the one with nine blue dots on a circle *might* indirectly connect to the one at the bottoms, and the triangle might represent Nidraller and maybe that has to connect directly to the lead on the right, and my brains are fried.  Can I get a hint?

- Cogliostro

Fizzii

Consider what Andvari calls it and its greater significance.

Spoiler
It's not *just* a slider puzzle that needs to be solved.
[close]

Thaumaturge

I'm stuck on the purple-crystal puzzle in Svartalfheim; I have seen that the solution is posted further up the thread, but I'd prefer to at least partially solve it myself, so would someone please give me a hint?

Specifically, I don't know what I'm trying to achieve.

Should I be trying to get all five crystals to light at least once (meaning, given that all but one light another, that I'd touch only three myself)? (Or each one twice, or thrice...?) Indeed, does the lighting of a crystal in response to my lighting another count as though I'd touched that one, or is it intended as a hint of some sort? Are the sounds produced by, or the patterns within the crystals relevant? Am I supposed to touch all five in some order? Am I missing some clue as to the intended order?

In short, I feel somewhat directionless facing the puzzle, and would appreciate a hint; my thanks for any given. ^_^

(I have discovered from the Caravel Forum that I should exit the puzzle between attempts, since there may be a bug that prevents it from recognising the correct sequence after incorrect entries.)

Snarky

Spoiler
You're supposed to touch each of the crystals once in a particular order. The tones or the particular crystal structures in each crystal are not relevant.

The "echo" in another crystal when you touch one is a hint about the sequence. For a further hint:
Spoiler
Svartalfheim is something of an "opposite land" where things are upside down, reversed, inside out, etc. That's reflected in the crystal pings.
[close]
[close]

Tramponline

Quote from: Thaumaturge on Wed 15/01/2014 20:55:45
Indeed, does the lighting of a crystal in response to my lighting another count as though I'd touched that one, or is it intended as a hint of some sort?
Spoiler
These are hints on how to solve it. Check which crystal is triggering what other crystal. Are there exceptions to this rule? Build a sequence based on your observations.
[close]
Hope that helps...

...darn, I type slow. What Snarky writes...

Thaumaturge

Ah, wonderful -- thank you both, your hints are, I believe, just what I was looking for. ^_^

Matt620

Hey, I started playing this game, made my way through, rather fond of it, found it immersive and very reminiscent of the QFG series.

Stuck on the final battle, though, as a sorceress.

I
Spoiler
cast Flame Aura to distract the giant, then Shadow to get in the corner. But after that, none of my spells work. I've got all of them, what am I doing wrong?
[close]

slydog

This is an amazingly good game!  But I am completely stuck on the not just a slider puzzle... Any more help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Fizzii

Spoiler
Ignore all the doodads on the tiles themselves; those are just decorations. Then think about what those tiles represent, and look at what's outside of the actual sliding board (there's three connections outside).
[close]

Snarky

Quote from: Matt620 on Thu 16/01/2014 01:57:21
Hey, I started playing this game, made my way through, rather fond of it, found it immersive and very reminiscent of the QFG series.

Stuck on the final battle, though, as a sorceress.

I
Spoiler
cast Flame Aura to distract the giant, then Shadow to get in the corner. But after that, none of my spells work. I've got all of them, what am I doing wrong?
[close]

Spoiler
Your spells don't work because Egther is within a protective circle. You need to do something else first. Specifically, there's another spell you can use against his first attack instead of Flame Aura that will give you a chance to take the necessary action.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk